By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU to have a 10 years lifespan

Do you agree with me?

Yay! 109 19.60%

Nay! 158 28.42%

Yo crazy? 289 51.98%

Total:556

If the Wii didnt last 6 years, what makes you think Wii U will last 10?

Around the Network
padib said:
Kane1389 said:

A very different sales trend, for starters? You surely can appreciate that as a PS fan (the PS3's curve being a fine example, the 360's an even better one).

PS3 has a complete 3rd party support and had a major 1t party support up until the release of PS4. Neither Wii or Wii U had/will have either, as Nintendo abandoned the Wii 3 years ago and and 3rd party is almost non existant on both systems

Wii U is proving that it can deliver a great experience for Nintendo style games. It falls short in some games where graphics matter more, but more than that the Wii U will just get replaced much sooner because it's a commercial failure for the company.

My 8th gen collection

padib said:
Kane1389 said:

A very different sales trend, for starters? You surely can appreciate that as a PS fan (the PS3's curve being a fine example, the 360's an even better one).

A sales trend that suggests it will last less than Wii, yes. "Oh WiiU is trending far far below Wii, but it's different! Therefore it can sustain longer" No.

And using PS3 as an example? PS3 isn't sustaining as well as PS2, and this gen has been longer, so many variables involved in that.

Wiiu is barely selling well now, let alone in a few years.

Dude, what are you smoking? The original Wii was an incredible runaway success at first, yet Nintendo couldn't even manage to properly support it for more than 5 years before it died off. The Wii was "good enough" for most people, until they saw Kinect and all the stuff they can play on their smart phones and tablets for free or just a couple bucks, and now that has become "good enough" for most people.

On the other hand, the Wii U already has one foot in the ground, and it'll be lucky if it even makes it to the finish like of a "normal" 5 year console cycle. And in a couple of years both X1 and PS4 will be sub-$299, the mass market price for consoles, and as their games get even better looking and more advanced, the Wii U's games will still look like they're being played on a "last-gen" console.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Sharu said:

Playing MarioKart8 last 2 days with my family and enjoying it a LOT more than any other game last 3 years, I've got one thought. Do we really need 'next' nintendo console in 2-3-4-5 years? For me and for the kids the graphics in MK8 is 'good enough'. Of course, on more powerful hardware it could have 1080p with AA and some better particle effects, but thats all. And of 4 people in my family  only me will be the one who can spot the difference, and thats only because I'm reading gameforums. And even then I'll forget about it right after dipping into game. 

So my opinion is that for its type of games/players WiiU is a perfect 'good enough' console and could be easily supported by Nintendo for 8-10 years. It has double screen experience, it has classic controls, it has motion controls, it has balance board controls. It has a blueray disk which is big enough for anything and a possibility to extend a hard drive to the limits you want. 

So the next NIntendo 'handheld' will be out to catch up on a WiiU (maybe even play its games) and after that Nintendo can wait a bit/move to QOL platform and just continue making NIndendo games for that united platform.

You dont even know what QOL means. "move to QOL platform" lol who says its their next main platform

Mummelmann said:
None of the 8th gen consoles will have a 10 year lifespan, the PS3 and 360 will also be a faded memory on their 10th anniversary. The time of decade-long console support has long since passed.

No. Thats only 2 years away LOL. The PS3 will still be played by millions who havent upgraded to PS4 yet in 2016. The console is already confirmed for big blockbuster titles in 2015 like Persona 5 and Tales of Zestiria.

The 4DS will release in 2016 and the Wii 3 will release in 2017. This generation for Nintendo isn't going to last longer than 5 years.

padib said:
Seece said:

A sales trend that suggests it will last less than Wii, yes. "Oh WiiU is trending far far below Wii, but it's different! Therefore it can sustain longer" No.

And using PS3 as an example? PS3 isn't sustaining as well as PS2, and this gen has been longer, so many variables involved in that.

Wiiu is barely selling well now, let alone in a few years.

@underlined. If true, that only strengthens my argument. Nintendo would  try to maximize sales if sales continue to be slow. If the Wii could sell 100m units, then the potential is 100m units. Until that's reached, they haven't maximized their sales.

Nintendo have been trying to maximize their sales since it debuted, doesn't mean they're going to be successful at it (they're not). The potential is not 100m units, the casuals that bought into Wii are long gone.

It doesn't strengthen your argument either it only serves to make it weaker, it has no basis or logic to it.

MaskedBandit2 said:
If you care for Nintendo's future, you'd realize just how bad of an idea letting Wii U ride for 10 years. Even 5 years is pushing it. No way can Nintendo sit idly on their hands with a system that barely sells for years with no 3rd party support. It'll drive them into further irrelevancy as their games slowly lose selling power due to the rise of more popular games and game systems.

Console transitions have more to do that just upping power and performance.

Nintendo need to launch during the same time-frame as atleast one of their opponents; with a Zelda and a 3D Mario , as well as a Smash and a Kart due within at least five months. It also needs to come with Gamecube controllers, Wiimotion Plus controllers, and atleast one Gamepad (while supporting up to six).

Do that, give it enough power to stop third parties like Bethesada from getting uppity, and give finished dev-kits out two years before release. Nintendo wins - if they advertise... which they still wouldn't... because Nintendo.