By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Both Sunset Overdrive and Driveclub are going to flop

Its an Insomniac game it may just do that, they havent made a decent game in along time maybe PS2 gen most of their success is attributed to Naughty Dog and Mark Cerny babysitting them back in the day, they have been churing out alot of game diarrhea nothiing substancial in their work. FUSE and the last few ratchets were shit Resistance was pretty good for the first installment then that went down the shitter eventually. And Driveclub will flop and get Forza quality sales, its not gonna sell like a Gran Turismo you can bet on that the numerous delays have attributed to many losing their interest in the title, it has flew of alot of peoples radar for sure. Furthermore gentlemen dont take this to heart i am not trying to get your hopes up or trash both games, i tell it how i see it. Neither games will live up to their hype, and most Insomniac games are overhyped and tend to undeliver.

Around the Network

Difficult to say.

I think Driveclub will most likely not perform as well as it would have if it had launched with the PS4, unless it, against all odds, turns out really well. Aside from that I think that Driveclub is a pretty clear candidate for bundling so that will help its sales as well, standalone it won't make a huge splash, I'd be surprised if it hit 1 million on its own.

If our pre order charts can be trusted even a little then it seems as if Sunset Overdrive is still going completely under the radar for most people (not even 9k pre orders in the US) as of now, so MS still really needs to ramp up the marketing for that title or it could also really easily drown in the holidays too.

and just how are you going to judge driveclub for flopness?

over half the ps4 userbase (the over half with ps+) are going to get the digital version for free. that will be like 5 free million copies. just how many physical copies do you expect an online focused social driver to sell to the part of the userbase without ps+ and the ability to play online. if it does 50k at retail i'd consider that massive...

Sunset Overdrive will have a much tougher challenge. It is a new IP, and it will take a lot of effort to fight with established franchises. And even though it looks very good, I believe it is too quirky for mass consumption. You know, the colors are too vivid. :)

As for Driveclub, we might never really find out. It will be free. So any number that the charts show will always be offset by the suspicion of massive digital downloads. Heck, I even expect Sony to announce:"Driveclub has been downloaded 3 million times in October..." And any thread here that attempts to address it as a flop once sales figures come in will just get bogged down in that defense...

By current Insomniac standards I think Sunset Overdrive will be successful. But I don't think Driveclub will do GT numbers or become the new staple racing franchise of Playstation. All in all I don't think they will do more than 4million combined.

Can't we all just get along.If not for yourself, do it for the future.

Around the Network

Have you not played Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time?

Can't we all just get along.If not for yourself, do it for the future.

I agree with you.

Ratchet and Clank a Crack in time was decent but not as special as the PS2 Ratchets, Into the Nexxus, All 4 one the rest were pure repititive garnage. The series is dead nothing Insomniac can do about it they kept milking that lombax until his breasts bursted in to pieces.

Fusioncode said:
tbone51 said:

I really hate the word Flop/Bomb.

I think many dont kno the definition of it. They both will be far from Flops, Underperformed maybe... But no Flop.

Flop is Lost Planet 3 in Japan

Why couldn't they flop? Exclusives bomb too. Look at Wonderful 101 or Kinect Sports Rivals. 

i should of been more specific then, my bad. I meant its an OVERRATED WORD :P . Those examples are flops though, a flop for these title would have to be wayyy less than a million.

Fusioncode said:
spurgeonryan said:
What do you consider flop for these games? Under a million sold? Or more.

If they each end up under a million sold I would consider that a flop. 

if that is what you say is a flop then I would say your prediction is most likely wrong.  There is a reason so many games come out in the fall and they aren't spread out better through out the year.  Sales in the last three months of the year are equal to the other nine months.  Games typically do better launching in that environment even if there is stiffer competition.

Now, with all the positive press going around on sunset overdrive lately, I definitely can't see it selling less than a million.  And that hype is only going to build.  

Driveclub I would say maybe, except there really aren't that many racing alternatives on the ps4 and Europe is probably starving for some racing games on their ps4's.  It will probably bomb here in america, but Europe will make sure it passes the million sold mark pretty easily...

Not to mention that both games will probably be pack in titles in the future...