By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamers are getting what they (we) deserve with games like Wolfenstein New Order

It's using Steam as DRM which lowers value tremendously for me, my PC probably can't run it as well as it should, and as far as I know, there's pretty much no way it's going to receive any free support, such as mods, in the future.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Zadainie said:

Every game is generic for him except Nintedo games.

Lol, nope. Bioshock. Deus Ex: HR. Dishonored. All not Nintendo games. All not generic. All worth $60 when they came out. I speak the truth.

You know this borrows from Dishonored's stealth system (and its art in places)? It's more action oriented but it's still possible to play through the majority of the game by sneaking. And mechanically, the gameplay is superior to Bioshock. Whilst the story is cheesy due to the voice over, the themes and metaphors are quite poignant and hard hitting. It also contains a small selection of specific story choices and multiple paths in some superbly designed levels.  

It's pretty far from a generic shooter, and based on the three games you just mentioned, I actually think you might enjoy it.

Scoobes said:
spemanig said:
Zadainie said:

Lol, nope. Bioshock. Deus Ex: HR. Dishonored. All not Nintendo games. All not generic. All worth $60 when they came out. I speak the truth.

You know this borrows from Dishonored's stealth system (and its art in places)? It's more action oriented but it's still possible to play through the majority of the game by sneaking. And mechanically, the gameplay is superior to Bioshock. Whilst the story is cheesy due to the voice over, the themes and metaphors are quite poignant and hard hitting. It also contains a small selection of specific story choices and multiple paths in some superbly designed levels.  

It's pretty far from a generic shooter, and based on the three games you just mentioned, I actually think you might enjoy it.

Maybe I would. Most likely I would. But not for $60. I'm not saying the game is bad, but stealth elements and better gunplay isn't enough to make the 100th game I play this gen where, when it boils down to it, you're just shooting shit, worth $60. I liked InFAmous: Second Sun too when I played it. That game is absolutely not worth $60. And for whoever said that I only like Nintendo games, I don't think DK: Tropical Freeze is worth more than $20. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a game like Wolfenstein either. Doesn't mean it's not good, but it's definitely not worth the premium price.

spemanig said:

Maybe I would. Most likely I would. But not for $60. I'm not saying the game is bad, but stealth elements and better gunplay isn't enough to make the 100th game I play this gen where, when it boils down to it, you're just shooting shit, worth $60. I liked InFAmous: Second Sun too when I played it. That game is absolutely not worth $60. And for whoever said that I only like Nintendo games, I don't think DK: Tropical Freeze is worth more than $20. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a game like Wolfenstein either. Doesn't mean it's not good, but it's definitely not worth the premium price.

While I think there is certainly something to be said about tiered pricing depending upon content, there's no way the industry would survive on $20/ea for the high budget games.

mornelithe said:
spemanig said:

While I think there is certainly something to be said about tiered pricing depending upon content, there's no way the industry would survive on $20/ea for the high budget games.

I never said it should start out at $20, but I personally would wait until it was that price. I think a game like that is worth $40 out the gate for people who still freshly enjoy those types of games.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Kane1389 said:
spemanig said:
I know this will sound harsh, but a generic FPS about killing Nazi's after a generation like the one we've just had just isn't worth $60, no matter how polished it is.

Generic FPS about killing nazis? Do you know a single thing about Wolfenstein?

I've seen gameplay. It's generic. Again, it may be good, but that kind of experience isn't worth $60.

No, it isnt generic. It has a lot more depth than your averige generic FPS. There are perks that are unlocked in an interesting way, there is stealth, there are different paths you can take during the story, there is no regenerative health (like in modern shooters), there is loot, there is dual wielding, there is an upgrade system, there are more enemy types that behave differently, there is bigger mobility in combat, its 20 hours long, it has deep, interesting characters and an interesting, unique, fully realised setting, great atmosphere and good voice acting. 

It's an old school (fully realized) arcade shooter with a serious story and a focus on single player campaign and level design. Similar to Bioshock, the best FPS franchise of the last gen. 

It's not a dumbed down, aim down the sights to win twitch shooter like many other FPSs are. Its not 5 hours long, the story isn't cringe worthy, the characters arent 1-dimensional, the level desing is more than 6 corridor lines, weapon designes are not boring and overused, there are no scriped set pieces every 2 minutes and the developers dont plan on profiting on the game by plagueing modern shooters with overpriced DLC maps and microtransictions

So no, Wolfenstein is not a generic shooter. It does its own thing, which you know, gave birth to the whole FPS genre.

Okay so first off. Dont tell me i am a bad person for not buying a game that doesnt interest me. Thank you

Okay then. In my opinion the worst offenders these days are games that use a f2p model when it is paid for in full. Battlefield would be my prime example where there was a huge decrease in weapon and level up progression from 3 to 4. This really encouraged the shortcut kits they sold. Now you can unlock it all by just playing it but unless you wanna grind for 100,s of hours to get something worthwhile you need to cough up the dough. I think part of the reason why i enjoy killzone shadow falls MP so much is because the only unlocks is for attachments and when you find a gun you like you can quickly unlock those. Ind the end i wish shooters these days werent so focused on keeping you hooked until the sequel comes out. I want to play many different games and so i cant invest the time for these stupid requirements.. Give me back the counter strike, MOH or unreal turnament setup.

spemanig said:
Scoobes said:
spemanig said:
Zadainie said:

I disagree (obviously, as I bought it, lol). You're not just shooting shit like in RAGE. This game is well fleshed out and has the layers of depth you expect in a full blown single-player FPS (story, characters, emotional impact, varied gameplay etc.) and is a lot longer in playtime than most FPS franchises (it's double the length of the original Bioshock for instance).

Edit: I think it helps that this wasn't developed by iD themselves. It's taken the good gunplay of RAGE but improved on every other aspect of that game whilst introducing some much needed variety and depth.

LMAO. Hey, we should all go into threads and openly admit to not playing the game the thread is based on, then talk badly about the game, stating 100% untrue things like it is generic and not worth the entry price, and then maintain our opinion of said game we have never played is totally valid.

beat it on uber, and pretty close to getting platinum. ill finish it off after im done watchdogs.

The game is alot of fun and not like other FPS. lots to bring back to the old days, I love the small lines he talks to himself as you go through the levels. the life/armor system is alot better than regenerative life. lots of different ways to approach each scenario and the campaign is a nice long one. it has an over the top kind of silly style, but that adds to the fun.

my only gripes were with some locations of the autosaves. some were well placed, others were horrific

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz