By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamers are getting what they (we) deserve with games like Wolfenstein New Order

Wolfenstein is a GOTY contender for sure. Game is AMAZING.  It's better than Infamous, and best game available on PS4 right now.  (I have not played Watch Dogs however, so I don't know if it is great.)  Also, I heard that Wolf is projected to sell well?  I am going to post my thoughts I put up 4 days ago on an old thread here too:

Ok figured I would post some spoiler free thoughts after beating game:

Game is completely AWESOME! GOTY contender for sure. Kudos to Machinegames. Everyone should buy it and support their first outing. Great story. Relatable, interesting, memorable characters. Incredible mix of dark humor, horror, the human condition, and alternate history. Incredible character and face models. Ultra satisfying gunplay. I mean you jack people up so bad in this game! Dual wield sniper rifles! HAH. 

Multiple paths for given scenarios with stealth options. Unique somewhat elder scrolls like perk system. Top tier voice acting. Spectacular sound effects, and soundtrack with 60's pop cliches turned around to reflect what it would have been like if famous era bands were Nazi influenced. Futuristic tech, mechs, and organic-robot hybrids. 

I don't know if I would necessarily say it is better than 3D or Return but it completely blows the 2009 game out of the water. Also idTech5 no longer has the insanely bad texture popin that plagued Rage. New Order has a small amount but but it is negligible. 

Fair warning though make sure to play it on Death Incarnate at minimum. I would suggest straight in at Uber. The game on any of the other difficulties is super easy and a totally different experience. Also the AI is unplayably bad on the easier difficulties and needs a patch.

Around the Network

The game has failed to catch my interest. I don't know if I'll ever purchase it. But I also don't support microtransactions or DLC. I almost never buy DLC, I've only purchased DLC for Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim and haven't purchased DLC since then. Not that I'm against DLC either, it's just not worth my time and money for the most part. If I see a DLC that interests me, I may purchase it.

Which is why I kind of disagree with - "Reallly, by not buying Wolfenstein we are encouraging the developer and publisher behaviors of microtransactions, season passes, and DLC... "

Sure, they might resort to some of that stuff for more profit. There are a lot of people that enjoy DLC and look forward to it. Why not go for more profit?

But do you think that even if a game is successful they will not make DLC just because it sold well? (GTA IV anyone?)

Not buying the game has less affect on future DLC than the purchasing of DLC itself IMO.

By the way, reading your description of the game sparked more interest in me for it than the reviews I've read and vids I've seen.

To be fair, I alway sbuy my COD used and not new as to not feed the machine!

I love first person shooters, but I just bought a PS4 and am playing Infamous: SS and Watchdogs which both seem like games I wanted before that game. The game did release in a week with some actual competition.

spemanig said:
I know this will sound harsh, but a generic FPS about killing Nazi's after a generation like the one we've just had just isn't worth $60, no matter how polished it is.

Generic FPS about killing nazis? Do you know a single thing about Wolfenstein?

I'm really enjoying it at the moment, its a great fun game.

I'm sure it will do ok... just hope it does well enough. I think it being out on so many platforms and early in next gen should make sure it sells well..

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
spemanig said:
I know this will sound harsh, but a generic FPS about killing Nazi's after a generation like the one we've just had just isn't worth $60, no matter how polished it is.

Generic FPS about killing nazis? Do you know a single thing about Wolfenstein?

Apparently not, lol.  That's like people complaining about Duke Nukem for being sexist.

spemanig said:

This game is alot of things, but generic is absolutely not one of them.  I guarantee 1000% that you have not played this game.  Likely not other games in the series either.

I guess if makers of a FPS game want more day one sales, they need to includevsome sort of multiplayer. The game is single player only, thus giving me no immediacy to rush and buy it at full price, when it can provide me the same exact experience in 5 or 10 months, when I get the same exact game for 50-75% less.
They can be cool people and still leave out microtransactions and DLCs, but they need to motivate me to buy the game somehow. And being a FPS doesn't help its cause, as I (my personal stance) really don't see a point in shooting AI. I don't care much for shooters, but if I do play them, I play them to compete, and usually get massacred, by the hand of other humans.
So, I guess, I agree with you that gamers get what they deserve, but they also buy what they find value in. And we shall see how much value a single player shooter has nowadays.

There're already AAA games, free of DLC and micro-transactions and well polished that I'm already spending my money on. Nintendo games.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

We old school gamers gotta get with the times....the average gamer is impatient, and has the disposable income to buy the dlc. I agree with the OP......we are all hypocrites on some level.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.