By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamers are getting what they (we) deserve with games like Wolfenstein New Order

I have been playing Wolfenstein the New Order for the past week.  It has been a high quality FPS with great level design, upgrade perks, collectibles, and nice weapons.  Add to that the campaign is over 20 hours and there is no doubt gamers will get value from playing through this game.  And, to this date, there are no microtransactions, season passes, and they have not yet announced DLC for the game so the only revenue that the developers and publishers are going to get is from new game sales.

Yet, I doubt we will see any good sales figures for this game.  A AAA single player FPS that deserves to make a profit.  Instead, I have heard a lot of gamers say they will buy it used when it is cheap.

I don't see the logic here.  Gamers are not rewarding developers and publishers that are giving us what we want...  A complete AAA game free of DLC, season passes, and microtransactions. 

Instead, gamers continue to support series like Battlefield and CoD where they milk you at every corner...  And shun games that are perfectly good like Wolfenstein New Order.  Why don't FPS fans want to buy a new copy of Wolfenstein New Order to encourage the best behaviors from developers and publishers? 

Reallly, by not buying Wolfenstein we are encouraging the developer and publisher behaviors of microtransactions, season passes, and DLC...  As gamers whine, developers and publishers can just point to this game and say, "They tried that with Wolfenstein New Order and look at how bad sales were compared to CoD and BF".

Around the Network

I'd buy Wolfenstein if I could, but I just can't afford it right now. I have my money saved for Murdered: Soul Suspect. I have no other choice but to wait until the game hits the bargain bin or I won the lottery :(

I know this will sound harsh, but a generic FPS about killing Nazi's after a generation like the one we've just had just isn't worth $60, no matter how polished it is.

It's not what I want :X.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

I spent all my money on Mario Kart 8.... and I don't own any other next gen console not including the Wii U yet.

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Around the Network

Mehh its not that great... it has some nice moments but mostly its average

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It had the second biggest opening this year in the UK.

NeoRatt said:

Instead, gamers continue to support series like Battlefield and CoD where they milk you at every corner...  And shun games that are perfectly good like Wolfenstein New Order.  Why don't FPS fans want to buy a new copy of Wolfenstein New Order to encourage the best behaviors from developers and publishers? 

Reallly, by not buying Wolfenstein we are encouraging the developer and publisher behaviors of microtransactions, season passes, and DLC...  As gamers whine, developers and publishers can just point to this game and say, "They tried that with Wolfenstein New Order and look at how bad sales were compared to CoD and BF".

That's because your average gamer either lacks the vision, or simply doesn't care about how their actions now, impact the future.  We saw it when companies started removing local server options, map making tools, and other dev tools.  A few bright individuals, warned everyone that this signaled a closed environment future, where the companies could nickel and dime you via useless cosmetic DLC, 4-packs of maps for $20 bucks, charging for MP, and so on.  Nobody listened, and we constantly hear of games that have their online functionality shutting down because the company no longer wants to host servers.  What a great future we've invented for ourselves.  Developers and Publishers can tell us when we're done with a game, simply by taking down the servers.

I applaud your effort though NeoRatt, unfortunately, I just don't think enough people will care to make a difference.

most people like to play online with friends, they have to buy the game that their friends have.

I'd say the reason is that Wolfenstein caters more to old-school FPS gamers than to CoD mainstream bunch.