By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Some good results today.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

wtf is Gerrard thinking...

You do not expect that level of stupidity from him...

Gerrard gets sent off 40 seconds after the second half begins... Just lol.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Ha.. Really didn't expect ManU to win.. Liverpool are sore losers

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Well, there it goes Chelsea's 2-0 lead in less than 2 minutes!

Around the Network

Gerrard showing his true colours.

Bayern fucking Munich let me down on my bet today. Bayern. Fucking. Munich.

mZuzek said:
AZWification said:

Gerrard gets sent off 40 seconds after the second half begins... Just lol.

Just another typical Manchester United victory. Looking back, I don't think I can recall ever watching us lose a north-west derby without some major pathetic referee decisions (mostly because I didn't watch the 3-0 last December, but still). It's always some stupid crap like that.

Phil Jones should have been sent off twice today, and yet there he was throughout the 90 minutes while Steven Gerrard, who was supposed to be a driving force behind our comeback gets a red card as soon as he enters the pitch because, well, reasons. That ridiculous penalty at the end didn't do wonders for the ref's integrity either.

But really, looking back over these last few years, we always got screwed up by referees - the only year we didn't, we nearly won the league.

The referee was excellent today. No one can even argue that Gerrard didn't deserve a red. Huge props to the referee for having the balls to call that at the Anfield and against Gerrard. Jones did have one rough challenge, but the yellow was the correct call imo. The penalty was also correct. Also don't forget Skrtel deserved a straight red at the end for stamping De Gea.

mZuzek said:

If the ref was truly excellent today, then why the hell is he the focal point of 95% of the discussion regarding the game? I mean, Juan Mata scored two goals (one of which was an absolute beauty) today in a massive derby and yet he ISN'T the main thing people are talking about? Surely there had to be something wrong, right?

I'll try to contain myself on the Gerrard case. I was watching the game in a pub and I saw a regular midfield foul become a red card out of nowhere. Naturally, I was pissed off. But I couldn't see anything from the replays and everyone (including Liverpool fans) has been saying it was a fair sending off, so I don't have a lot to discuss on it.

But the rest? Ugh... Phil Jones had two red card worthy challenges today, don't deny it. In the first half, he rushed at Lallana at high speed and raised an elbow to hit him as hard as he could, and then in the second half had a very unfair challenge on Henderson's back. I thought both challenges should have resulted in sending offs, but with a lenient referee maybe (MAYBE) a couple of yellow cards was acceptable. But he didn't do even that. And that's considering the ref today wasn't AT ALL lenient considering he would just give our players cards for any random foul (Allen's comes to mind) and even sent off a player who wasn't even a minute into his game.

But then again, you're telling me the penalty was a correct call, so I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you in the first place. If that was a penalty, then everything is. I guess it's Rodgers fault for not telling his players to dive everytime there's a challenge inside the box. But seriously, I can understand why you'd think it was a pen - for Manchester United's standards, it was a pretty clear one.

Everyone is talking about Gerrard's red card because a captain got sent off in less than a minute. Of course everyone is gonna talk about that. I haven't seen anyone arguing that he didn't deserve a red except you. http://gfycat.com/BoilingWillingHawk

Didn't see the challenge on Lallana. Only saw the one on Henderson and that was a yellow card worthy challenge which is what was given. If the challenge on Lallana really deserved a yellow then I agree he should have been sent off.

I didn't think that the penalty was a dive. It was a soft penalty but I wouldn't say that it was a wrong call.

Anyway hard luck. I really hope you can still get 4th.

mZuzek said:
Talal said:

The referee was excellent today. No one can even argue that Gerrard didn't deserve a red. Huge props to the referee for having the balls to call that at the Anfield and against Gerrard. Jones did have one rough challenge, but the yellow was the correct call imo. The penalty was also correct. Also don't forget Skrtel deserved a straight red at the end for stamping De Gea.

If the ref was truly excellent today, then why the hell is he the focal point of 95% of the discussion regarding the game? I mean, Juan Mata scored two goals (one of which was an absolute beauty) today in a massive derby and yet he ISN'T the main thing people are talking about? Surely there had to be something wrong, right?

I'll try to contain myself on the Gerrard case. I was watching the game in a pub and I saw a regular midfield foul become a red card out of nowhere. Naturally, I was pissed off. But I couldn't see anything from the replays and everyone (including Liverpool fans) has been saying it was a fair sending off, so I don't have a lot to discuss on it.

But the rest? Ugh... Phil Jones had two red card worthy challenges today, don't deny it. In the first half, he rushed at Lallana at high speed and raised an elbow to hit him as hard as he could, and then in the second half had a very unfair challenge on Henderson's back. I thought both challenges should have resulted in sending offs, but with a lenient referee maybe (MAYBE) a couple of yellow cards was acceptable. But he didn't do even that. And that's considering the ref today wasn't AT ALL lenient considering he would just give our players cards for any random foul (Allen's comes to mind) and even sent off a player who wasn't even a minute into his game.

But then again, you're telling me the penalty was a correct call, so I'm not sure why I'm arguing with you in the first place. If that was a penalty, then everything is. I guess it's Rodgers fault for not telling his players to dive everytime there's a challenge inside the box. But seriously, I can understand why you'd think it was a pen - for Manchester United's standards, it was a pretty clear one.

I actually agree with you that the penalty wasn't a correct call! I guess it was a good thing that Rooney missed it.

Gerrard's last Man U match, 2 things could have been scripted to make that game awesome. He scored the winner...

Or what happened. :P

Hmm, pie.