By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

Augen said:

outlawauron said:

Worst part is that it means we would get Argentina in the semis.

With Brazil flaming out, it means that the US are worse for winning the group. Cruel.

Given past few days who knows how it will play out.  Argentina could lose to Venezuela way things are going.  Just have to focus on Ecuador now.

I like the way you think

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

This Euro really hates me.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I pulled Czech Republic in the work place sweepstake... chance to get second place in the group I guess.

Hmm, pie.

On the money again with my 1:0 Spain victory Yay But now... This game is not going to be pretty I hope that Belgium-Italy is gonna be good.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

No! Stupid Spain.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
NiKKoM said:

its a system.. i can't enter you manually till i have gathered all scores from you.. 

Is the system based on the exact score or just W/D/L?

both, but i need to input your scores all at once.. otherwise, yes i'm lazy, i need to put it manually and erase you every day again and again.. so i prefer a few days clutch together before i input you..

France 1:0 Romania
Albania 0:1 Switzerland
Wales 0:2 Slovakia
England 1:0 Russia
Turkey 0:1 Croatia
Poland 2:1 Northern Ireland
Germany 2:0 Ukraine
Spain 1:0 Czech Republic
Ireland 0:1 Sweden
Belgium 1:1 Italy

Name: Scisca

0 1
2 1
2 0
1 0
0 1
1 1

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Augen said:

outlawauron said:

Worst part is that it means we would get Argentina in the semis.

With Brazil flaming out, it means that the US are worse for winning the group. Cruel.

Given past few days who knows how it will play out.  Argentina could lose to Venezuela way things are going.  Just have to focus on Ecuador now.

Hah! We will see. With Messi back, I think they'll rofflestomp their way to the championship. 

Ecuador will be very tough, especially with Yedlin out. The US defense has been stellar in Copa. It's a shame that the backline is going to be disrupted.

What do you think happens:

1. Orozco at RB

2. Cameron to RB, Birnbaum at CB

3. Fabs to RB, Castillo to LB

4. Something else?

Edit: John Brooks gonna get paid this year or the next. He is playing like a man on a mission!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Kerotan said:
I was at the Turkey Croatia match yesterday. The atmosphere was crazy. Very happy I went. first time in the pairc de Princes too.

Today we go to Ireland vs sweden. Going to be another crazy atmosphere. I hope Ireland can we but most of us aren't expecting a good result.

As the flag says, we're here to take part, not to take over XD hopefully it's not true!

Wow, you're at the games?! So lucky.

Are you irish?

NiKKoM said:
Scisca said:

Is the system based on the exact score or just W/D/L?

both, but i need to input your scores all at once.. otherwise, yes i'm lazy, i need to put it manually and erase you every day again and again.. so i prefer a few days clutch together before i input you..

Ok. So to sum up, my predictions from the start were like this (though I was late with the first 4 games ):

France 1:0 Romania
Albania 0:1 Switzerland
Wales 0:2 Slovakia
England 1:0 Russia
Turkey 0:1 Croatia
Poland 2:1 Northern Ireland
Germany 2:0 Ukraine
Spain 1:0 Czech Republic
Ireland 0:1 Sweden
Belgium 1:1 Italy

I don't expect any game to end with a high score. Teams are cautious, well prepared and nobody is up against the wall. Second and third rounds will be better, though the system in which 3 team advance makes conservative play more beneficial.

BTW. Dayum, Iniesta. Still on top.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Cobretti2 said:

Man don't celebrate too soon. They do choke in big tournaments like England lol. Hopefully this year changes that.

My concerns were mainly: 

1) When they got the ball near the box, they moved the ball too slow and allowed defenders to man up easily when a striker made a move.  

2) Last 20mins shows some gaps in defence which perhaps a better team would exploit and not thumble the ball like NI did. 

Perhaps it was nerves of trying to win their first ever Euro Game, so now with that win under their belt hopfully they play better.  

What!? Poland chokes in big tournaments like England? Are you kidding? We don't choke, we get obliterated in the group stage There is a saying that the Polish team plays 3 types of games - the opening game, the "all or nothing" game and the game for honour. We sometimes manage to win the last one. This is the first time we've won the opening game since early 80s. We are in uncharted territory But honestly, I can't see them choking. They may lose to a better team, but not because they choke, but because they get outplayed. I hope we don't run into France in the next stage...

You can't play fast, when the other team only defends and I think we've had quite a few very, very dangerous situations, while the Irish barely had half a situation. This was the most onesided game of the tournament, because NIR decided to park their bus in the goal and go for 0:0. Germany and Ukraine will play open football, so we'll see what we're really worth, but I'm optimistic. I think Poland - Germany will be the best game of the group stages.

Our defence has some flaws, we are aware of that. Glik is absolute worldclass, so is Piszczek, but the other two defenders - especially the left defence - aren't on the same level. I don't know why Wasilewski from Leicester didn't go to the tournament. The left defence is by far the worst position and he has to be decent if he plays for the champion of England.

All in all, I think that we have the best attack in the world in Lewandowski and Milik, great and very deep midfield that's competitive when compared to any other team with Krychowiak, Grosicki, Kapustka, Błaszczykowski, Zieliński and subs that aren't as renowned as these guys, but know how to play. Keepers are top level as well with Szczęsny, Boruc and Fabiański. In defence Glik and Piszczek are powerhouses, but the other two defenders...

I think that 9 out of 11 players in our starting lineup are worldclass and the bench is good as well. Left defence is a gaping hole and the guy that plays middle defence next to Glik hopefully follows his guidance and cooperates well. I think this already makes a very dangerous team and I can't see us not getting out of the group stage and when we get out - anything can happen. I think we're easily in top 8 of the tournament.

Poland has such an exciting team. I hope they go really far.

It's very nice for football that new quality national teams emerge, plus I love Poland.