By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Football Thread - 17/18 Season

outlawauron said:
Augen said:

Given past few days who knows how it will play out.  Argentina could lose to Venezuela way things are going.  Just have to focus on Ecuador now.

Hah! We will see. With Messi back, I think they'll rofflestomp their way to the championship. 

Ecuador will be very tough, especially with Yedlin out. The US defense has been stellar in Copa. It's a shame that the backline is going to be disrupted.

What do you think happens:

1. Orozco at RB

2. Cameron to RB, Birnbaum at CB

3. Fabs to RB, Castillo to LB

4. Something else?

Edit: John Brooks gonna get paid this year or the next. He is playing like a man on a mission!

I wouldn't mess with our CBs at this point.  Of those I'd say option 3 seems most likely.  Surprising aspect of this tournamanet has been lack of Jurgen tinkering and letting same guys play consistently.

Brooks stock has definitely gone up, his work on that 3 on 1 against Paraguay should be shown to every defender.

Around the Network
Scisca said:

Ok. So to sum up, my predictions from the start were like this (though I was late with the first 4 games ):

France 1:0 Romania
Albania 0:1 Switzerland
Wales 0:2 Slovakia
England 1:0 Russia

yeah i do need to scrap those points for you... you would have gotten 8 points but we just can't confirm.. but you still have 18 points

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Ireland 0:2 Sweden
Belgium 1:1 Italy

I can't believe the atmosphere in the Ireland - Sweden game. It's just incredible.

Slimebeast said:

Poland has such an exciting team. I hope they go really far.

It's very nice for football that new quality national teams emerge, plus I love Poland.

Thanks We're also very excited about this team, but surprisingly the expectations in general aren't sky-high (like they usually were). We're focusing on getting out of the group (for the first time ever) and after that - competing on par with Europe's best. Anything more than getting out will be seen as an extra by most, though I believe we deserve to be in the top 8.

@ NiKKoM, thanks!

By the way, who do you guys predict to win it all? I think this year it's very hard to pick the favourite, as there are many teams capable of taking it all. It's much harder than it was 4 years ago.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Scisca said:

@ NiKKoM, thanks!

By the way, who do you guys predict to win it all? I think this year it's very hard to pick the favourite, as there are many teams capable of taking it all. It's much harder than it was 4 years ago.

I closed my computer but i think it is:

6 predicted Germany, 1 person Spain and i think 4 France.. 8 of us have Thomas Muller as top scorer with 3 others Mario Gomez

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

The Swedish are looking some what shaky at the back as the Irish have really held their ground.

Scisca said:
Slimebeast said:

Poland has such an exciting team. I hope they go really far.

It's very nice for football that new quality national teams emerge, plus I love Poland.

Thanks We're also very excited about this team, but surprisingly the expectations in general aren't sky-high (like they usually were). We're focusing on getting out of the group (for the first time ever) and after that - competing on par with Europe's best. Anything more than getting out will be seen as an extra by most, though I believe we deserve to be in the top 8.

@ NiKKoM, thanks!

Yeah, so hard to say. I just can't pick a winner.

Germany, Belgium, Spain and France all have about equal chance to win. Then comes England really close. After that it's a clear gap, but Croatia, Portugal and Poland all have a decent chance to win and I can't entirely rule out Italy.

Yay, great goal. Go, Ireland!

Go fucking Ibrahimovic. Do your fucking job.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.