By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry confirms MK8 720p, No AA

*sigh*

"Fist-sized pixels" 190 35.78%

"But it looks AMAZI... 326 61.39%

Total:516
cannonballZ said:
gladiator said:

go look at the direct feed pics from DF article, it really does look awful, and has always been a huge complaint in the 360/ps3 generation.

I saw the pics and vids, the game looks great. 

A huge complaint in the 360/ps3 gen? Really? I saw very few complaints of resolution for last gen games. Most people didn't even know that a lot of the games were sub 720 last gen and still looked great. 

I think he means the lack of AA in many games was a complaint last gen, but yeah, you're spot-on with the bolded.

Resolution seems to be the new topic or arguments this gen.  I'm one of those people who thinks a smooth running game trumps a higher resolution as far as aesthetics, and that goes for all three consoles.

Around the Network

We already knew it was 720p noAA with poor textures and low poly geometry (like since one year ago...). It's technically Mario Kart Wii at 720p. If only it was at least that!

Because it's worse! The real surprise (bad) except the 30fps animation for local multiplayer is the constant 59fps in single mode. A constant micro-stuttering during avery AI encounters. Apparently it has judder only during CPU encounters.

The interesting theory is that every 64 frames, the game does nothing except compute the next future second of behaviour of the CPU players; CPU too weak to even compute AI players in MK8?

Technically, the game is really far away from X360 Forza 4 and PS3 GT5 both at 720p60fps and 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA, proving Wii U is even weaker than those consoles (both GPU and CPU), once again confirming, with an exclusive AAA Nintendo game, what most previous multiplats titles showed.

archbrix said:
cannonballZ said:
gladiator said:

go look at the direct feed pics from DF article, it really does look awful, and has always been a huge complaint in the 360/ps3 generation.

A huge complaint in the 360/ps3 gen? Really? I saw very few complaints of resolution for last gen games. Most people didn't even know that a lot of the games were sub 720 last gen and still looked great. 

I think he means the lack of AA in many games was a complaint last gen, but yeah, you're spot-on with the bolded.

Resolution seems to be the new topic or arguments this gen.  I'm one of those people who thinks a smooth running game trumps a higher resolution as far as aesthetics, and that goes for all three consoles.

most games were not sub hd on 360/ps3 games.

If Nintendo would just have better hardware! Then they could put more time in graphics and cinematics and less in gameplay because gameplay wouldn't be the only selling point so that they wouldn't have to waste so much time for that. 

bigtakilla said:

As one of the guys who was tooting that MK8 was going to be 1080p 60fps and I gotta admit I was wrong. I fell into the hype for a product at the end of the day performs less than what was speculated.

I can truly say now that I have a better grasp of how PS4 and XBone gamers feel upon 99% of there games releases, and I do hope Nintendo does try harder in the future.

/thread

Around the Network
gladiator said:
archbrix said:
cannonballZ said:

most games were not sub hd on 360/ps3 games.

He didn't say "most" he said "a lot".  And he's right.

I guess artistic style trumps realisim i dont understand why people want real in video games dont we want a break from real life and the graphics whores are killing this gen i give 2 craps about graphics all about gameplay halo 2 looks terrible compared to today but i still love it for gameplay

The same people complaining about 720p and no aa, are the the same people praising 900p on more modern and expensive hardware, that can't even push a game that's on the ps360 at 1080p. Just stop, please.

amak11 said:
gladiator said:

these are direct feed pics from DF. there are no reviews that claim that it looks better, or even techically better then 360/ps3 games, that only people that claimed this were nintendo fans, they also claimed batman, AC4 and COD were looking better on wiiu, infact they swore by it, when DF article came out, it was the opposite.

The first part of your comment is true, but PS3 and 360 haven't pulled off native AAA 720p games for 6 years other than indie titles. Games have become increasingly more  complex and filled, meaning your resolution and  textures are suffering. Look at the PS3 version of ACIV and compare that to the Wii U, the PS3 version is ass in comparison. Considering Batman, AC3/4 and CoD were all lazy ports that didnt take advantage of hardware. AC4 had better shadows than the 360 version, but it was hit by the lazy porting and suffered frame rate drops as a direct result (then again, can't expect much when the game was being displayed twice with a map overlaying the Wii U gamepad screen). The console itself is technically better, and performs much more efficently than the PS360. If you want a real comparison, lets see how the 360 version of watch_dogs will fair agains the Wii U version. I don't even believe PS3 or 360 games have had AA for a long time. All the games are jagged as hell. It's pretty damn easy to add "next-gen blur" filter over everything. 

I can guarantee you that's not true :P There were a lot of sub-HD titles, but there were also plenty of native 1280 x 720 games too (TLOU being an easy example). GT6 also had a 1440x1080 mode i believe (at around 30 to 60fps, depending on the weather effects, tracks, viewing angle etc, which is pretty damn impressive for such old hardware).

gladiator said:

these are direct feed pics from DF. there are no reviews that claim that it looks better, or even techically better then 360/ps3 games, that only people that claimed this were nintendo fans

You're absolutely right: some Nintendo fans think MK8 looks better than anything on PS3/360, some PS/XB fans think it doesn't come close to touching games like The Last of Us, most gamers (including most reviewers) prefer not to get involved in such silly debates. Thankfully, none of them are wrong, because which of two videos looks "better" is entirely subjective. So what's happening here? We have learned that MK8 is lacking technically in one area. This does not change how it appears. The game looks no different today than it looked yesterday. Previously, I had assumed the game was using some kind of AA. Now I learn that this is not the case, yet the game looks the same as ever. I see no reason not to be impressed that the developers made the game look as good as though it had AA to me when in fact it had none at all.

Thank you for the pictures, the game looks lovely.