By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry confirms MK8 720p, No AA

*sigh*

"Fist-sized pixels" 190 35.78%

"But it looks AMAZI... 326 61.39%

Total:516

I didn't see anyone complaining about the game looking bad in motion until DF reported the technical bit. Now it's time for everyone to come out of the woodworks to remind us that 720p with no AA looks awful, because that's what they've been trained to believe. I guess some people can't rely on their own senses to determine whether or not something looks good.

Around the Network
gladiator said:
vivster said:

Having a sizable library of PS3 games I don't have to wait to see how it will look like on my tv. There are plenty of examples for games with 720p and no AA. TLOU had 720p with very weak AA and I hated it for that(the game was great but it was held back by hardare limitations). Now MK presents us the whole thing without AA. My standards did not deminish over the past year so MK8 has to go up against that. Weak or nonexistant AA were the reasons why I never could get into Darksiders or Dragon's Dogma.

the last of us had decent AA, it' a huge step up from no AA.

[image]

[image]

It's certainly a big step up from no AA, and great AA by the standards of the 7th gen, but i understand what he means by it being weak. When you compare it to what's available even on mid range PC's, it's pretty weak (which is to be expected, you can only just the hardware that old so far).

The PS4 version should be glorious @_@

the no AA thing is kinda strange. I wonder what happened?

the_dengle said:
I didn't see anyone complaining about the game looking bad in motion until DF reported the technical bit. Now it's time for everyone to come out of the woodworks to remind us that 720p with no AA looks awful, because that's what they've been trained to believe. I guess some people can't rely on their own senses to determine whether or not something looks good.

go look at the direct feed pics from DF article, it really does look awful, and has always been a huge complaint in the 360/ps3 generation.

mario 3D world was 720p upscaled, so this isn't surprising... I've always thought this and in general every good looking wii-u game is an artistic force, but not a technical one. Despite some wii-u fans claiming it. (I only have a wii-u and PC, no x1, or ps4).

You can't really tell what is 1080p or 720p from youtube videos, because they look so bad (IE 1080p youtube looks worse than 720p straight off your console), Which is why no one complained.

I wish the wii-u games like this and 3D world was 1080p native with like SMAA... but I'm still buying it day 1, since i would have been more surprised if it was actually 1080p native.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

A lot of us have been complaining about MK8's visuals for months, and that was with nothing but compressed youtube videos and screenshots :P Heck, I've repeatedly pointed out about the AA. In the past i gave Nintendo the benefit of that doubt and assumed their basic edge detection AA was just performing particularly badly in screenshots, but now we find out that's not the case, it literally just doesn't have any >.<

People are aloud to be disappointed by this type of thing. Not a single person here has said that it's going to ruin the game, simply that it's a shame. You don't personally have to care, but what's wrong with people having their own standards for something they pay money for? A car being covered in key scratches doesn't make it's engine any worse or make the feel of driving it any different, but that doesn't mean people wouldn't much rather one without them.

Why are so many people so salty?

Neither DF or anyone here is telling you to cancel the pre order. Stop acting over dramatic.

gladiator said:
the_dengle said:

go look at the direct feed pics from DF article, it really does look awful, and has always been a huge complaint in the 360/ps3 generation.

Is Mario Kart some kind of visual novel now? We have seen tons of direct feed gameplay, and the consensus all around is that the game looks fantastic. Use your own senses to look at the game. Then apply the technical side. You'll find you are more impressed with the craftsmanship. Imagine looking at two visually identical games: one is 1080p with AA, the other is 480p with none. Which is the more impressive feat?

Here we are faced with a game that many think looks as good as or better than anything on PS3/360, without the need for AA. Why shouldn't I consider that impressive?

Zekkyou said:

A lot of us have been complaining about MK8's visuals for months, and that was with nothing but compressed youtube videos and screenshots :P Heck, I've repeatedly pointed out about the AA. In the past i gave Nintendo the benefit of that doubt and assumed their basic edge detection AA was just performing particularly badly in screenshots, but now we find out that's not the case, it literally just doesn't have any >.<

The lot of you must have been doing it rather quietly, I haven't seen any of this. The reviews all praise the game's visuals. The public opinion has been massively positive. Maybe I tuned out a few nay-sayers, as I always do when I feel the presence of kill-joys.

Mario Kart Wii didnt have AA, it was blatently obvious, but it looked gorgeous for it's time. 

Like any new console, you wont see the best looking games til later