By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - X-men: Days of Future Past, thoughts (Spoilers)

fun fact kang wouldn't have gone back in time without dr. doom, without kang going back in time there wouldn't have been the supercharged apocalypse

thus apocalypse and essex are a result of dr. doom

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

fun fact kang wouldn't have gone back in time without dr. doom, without kang going back in time there wouldn't have been the supercharged apocalypse

Doom has his hand in alot but En Sabah Nur already existed, just without Kang's influence he would have not risen up and became stronger. Although would it mean he wouldn't have found the Celestial's Ship later on?...

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
kirby007 said:

Doom has his hand in alot but En Sabah Nur already existed, just without Kang's influence he would have not risen up and became stronger. Although would it mean he wouldn't have found the Celestial's Ship later on?...

Dr. Doom? Didn't Kang go back in time after finding one of his ancestor's time machines and fighting an alternate reality Fantastic Four? This was before his encounters with Dr. Doom if i'm not mistaken, when he proclaimed himself as pharaoh Rama-Tut.

@The Fury - I agree with you regarding X-Force. It's one of my least favourite arcs, especially in Messiah War and Necrosha. Damn, I don't remember reading the comics where they made Apocalypse the suit :-|. Why the hell would someone do that?

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
The Fury said:
kirby007 said:

Dr. Doom? Didn't Kang go back in time after finding one of his ancestor's time machines and fighting an alternate reality Fantastic Four? This was before his encounters with Dr. Doom if i'm not mistaken, when he proclaimed himself as pharaoh Rama-Tut.

@The Fury - I agree with you regarding X-Force. It's one of my least favourite arcs, especially in Messiah War and Necrosha. Damn, I don't remember reading the comics where they made Apocalypse the suit :-|. Why the hell would someone do that?

^^ see bolded

EDIT: fucking love how this thread evolved!!

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Also, on a Marvel vs Fox handling of the movies, I'd like to point out that i'm much more pleased with Fox/Synger approach to Apocalypse than Marvel/Whedon approach to Thanos.

I understand that they want to flesh out the aspects of the infinity gems and give us the most powerful incarnation of Thanos, but come on, they're thinning out the interest of Thanos over too many movies. He has amazing story arcs prior to the Infinity Gems conflict, they could have used a lot of material already.

I'm glad that Synger isn't tiptoeing around Apocalypse. They showed it now and we're getting him head on in the next movie, supposedly with all his might.

@Kirby - Welp, I forgot that Doom is one of his alleged ancestors in Earth-6311. I always forget, since Kang is directly related to the Richards family.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

Watched it last Friday, I really enjoyed it but did have a few gripes as follows...

No mention of how Xavier was alive after X3

The whole angle with this drug that Beast had made to supress the mutant gene, while also having a handy perk of letting Xavier walk. How the hell did that happen? after other films focused on how to 'cure mutants' with these elaborate methods, but Beast has a few potions that do the trick anyway. That drug/cure has soo many potential uses in the X universe yet it was only mentioned in this film and forgotten about afterwards? that REALLY bugged me.

As many others have mentioned, how did Kitty develope powers to send people (or minds) into the past? an she could have been used a little better, as other than a bit of running through walls at the beginning she didnt do alot else.

The lack of characters from First Class present (which was my fave X-men film) and how it mentioned in a passing sentence how so many of those characters were dead. Plus they all remain dead since as the changes they made to the timeline all happen after they died. 

Why exactly did they need Magneto (Fassbender) as all he did was be a dick -but thats not a bad thing, he is a bad guy and Fassbender is excellent as him- I just wish they had a reason for freeing him as he didnt seem to contribute anything to help, only hinder. Unless I missed this reason they needed to break him out.

Things I love

Blink was AMAZING, if someone told me her power was to create a few portals here and there, I would think 'big whoop' but the way she used her power was breathtaking at times! and she was my fave mutant in the movie and now want to see more of her. 

Quicksilver, though he looked a bit cheesy, was a scene stealer when used. With how cool he was using his power, I can forgive the cheesy appearance.

Bishop was cool.

Was good to see them back at the end (Jean, Cyclops, Rogue) as they are an integral part of the X-men (even though I dont think it would hurt to recast all 3 of them).

Sentinals in the future were awesome and pretty darn menacing, even though the ones in the past were a bit meh.

The action sequences were awesome, particulary the future ones and (as mentioned) even more so when Blink was rocking her thing :D

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

Brutalyst said:

Watched it last Friday, I really enjoyed it but did have a few gripes as follows...

No mention of how Xavier was alive after X3

The whole angle with this drug that Beast had made to supress the mutant gene, while also having a handy perk of letting Xavier walk. How the hell did that happen? after other films focused on how to 'cure mutants' with these elaborate methods, but Beast has a few potions that do the trick anyway. That drug/cure has soo many potential uses in the X universe yet it was only mentioned in this film and forgotten about afterwards? that REALLY bugged me.

As many others have mentioned, how did Kitty develope powers to send people (or minds) into the past? an she could have been used a little better, as other than a bit of running through walls at the beginning she didnt do alot else.

The lack of characters from First Class present (which was my fave X-men film) and how it mentioned in a passing sentence how so many of those characters were dead. Plus they all remain dead since as the changes they made to the timeline all happen after they died. 

Why exactly did they need Magneto (Fassbender) as all he did was be a dick -but thats not a bad thing, he is a bad guy and Fassbender is excellent as him- I just wish they had a reason for freeing him as he didnt seem to contribute anything to help, only hinder. Unless I missed this reason they needed to break him out.

Things I love

Blink was AMAZING, if someone told me her power was to create a few portals here and there, I would think 'big whoop' but the way she used her power was breathtaking at times! and she was my fave mutant in the movie and now want to see more of her. 

Quicksilver, though he looked a bit cheesy, was a scene stealer when used. With how cool he was using his power, I can forgive the cheesy appearance.

Bishop was cool.

Was good to see them back at the end (Jean, Cyclops, Rogue) as they are an integral part of the X-men (even though I dont think it would hurt to recast all 3 of them).

Sentinals in the future were awesome and pretty darn menacing, even though the ones in the past were a bit meh.

The action sequences were awesome, particulary the future ones and (as mentioned) even more so when Blink was rocking her thing :D

Bolded - Wasn't this shown in the secret ending of X3? He transferred his consciouness to the comatose body of his twin brother that was being taken care by Dr. Moira. Why he has a comatose twin brother, that's never explained though.

Also, they gave Kitty the powers from Rachel Summers, the mutant that sent Kitty herself back in the comic version of DoFP. Maybe they didn't want to make such an important character just for DoFP. 

From what I understood from the movie, they needed Magneto because of Mystique. Since Charles could no longer reach her as she was too into Erik, they needed him to talk her out of killing Trask. That backfired massively though, because he's Magneto and he does what Magneto does best .

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:

Kang, before he was Kang, found historical documents about Doom's time travel technology and developed it for himself, went back in time and became Pharaoh Rama-Tut, this was his first ever time traveling action. During that time he tried to get En Sabah Nur on his side so 8000 years into the future, Apocalypse is on his side (I think).

The X-force stuff, Messiah War etc, seemed to come from Yost and Kyle. Messiah Complex was great in it's conception and well told by Carey and Brubaker. These 2 writers came up with some crap while writing X-force and it hurt my enjoyment of the comics overall. While Carey was writing exceptional stuff, exploring characters. Yost and Kyle were destroying characters. Necrosha annoyed me even more because it was a story concept from a spin-off title that invaded a main X-men title, unheard of as far as I'm concerned.

The story you need to research is 'The Twelve', I might not be exact on the money but as far as I understood it, Apocalypse needed a 'host' and wanted to possess Nate Grey, Cyclops jumped in the way instead but why Apocalypse needs a host to begin with baffled a lot of people and I consider it one of the worst X-men stories. It was at the end of the 90s, when comics sold the most but the story telling was drivel. Sadly it is the legend Alan Davis who was involved, not sure who came up with the original idea, probably him and Adam Kubert. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_(comics)#The_Twelve

Hmm, pie.

lestatdark said:

Bolded - Wasn't this shown in the secret ending of X3? He transferred his consciouness to the comatose body of his twin brother that was being taken care by Dr. Moira. Why he has a comatose twin brother, that's never explained though.

Also, they gave Kitty the powers from Rachel Summers, the mutant that sent Kitty herself back in the comic version of DoFP. Maybe they didn't want to make such an important character just for DoFP. 

From what I understood from the movie, they needed Magneto because of Mystique. Since Charles could no longer reach her as she was too into Erik, they needed him to talk her out of killing Trask. That backfired massively though, because he's Magneto and he does what Magneto does best .

Is that was happened at the end of X3? I thought that was just John Doe comatose guy, not his twin. He had hair and a beard.

The Kitty having Rachel's powers annoyed me as a fanboy. They created Bishop, Sunspot, Thunderbird and Blink just for the future scenes, why not just have a character called 'Rachel' just no mention of her last name/heritage and each time, get Rachel to send Kitty back. Then at least it would have been more accurate to the original story and Rachel and Kitty's friendship.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
lestatdark said:

Is that was happened at the end of X3? I thought that was just John Doe comatose guy, not his twin. He had hair and a beard.

The Kitty having Rachel's powers annoyed me as a fanboy. They created Bishop, Sunspot, Thunderbird and Blink just for the future scenes, why not just have a character called 'Rachel' just no mention of her last name/heritage and each time, get Rachel to send Kitty back. Then at least it would have been more accurate to the original story and Rachel and Kitty's friendship.

So in the comics, Kitty Pride does what Wolverine does in the movie?

Signature goes here!