By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HD console graphics performance comparison charts

Zekkyou said:
DonFerrari said:
I think we found our new Selnor on TheDrill and the new JohnLucas on Mine. They sure can "argue" a lotin favour of their console.

Have anyone told him the main reason for cartoonish graphics is because they are a lot cheaper to do and less power hungry. PS4 could render MK8 at 4k60fps.

Hmm, that would be an interesting topic to have. At 720p/60fps MK8 isn't really pushing the WiiU much, but at 1080p/60fps i imagine it would be hitting its upper limits. So if, for the sake of simplicity, we say that MK8 at 1080p/60fps is the WiiU's limit, then a properly optimized PS4 most likely could pull off 4k/60fps. It's about a 4 times jump, which is less that the current theoretical difference between the WiiU and PS4.

Would be completely pointless though, seeing as almost no one owns a 4k tv :p They could down-sample it to 1080p though, you couldn't get much better 1080p IQ than that :D

PS4 can't even output 4k60. But looking at how badly games currently scale (just look at PC benchmarks at 4k) I doubt PS4 could pull it off.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Zekkyou said:

Hmm, that would be an interesting topic to have. At 720p/60fps MK8 isn't really pushing the WiiU much, but at 1080p/60fps i imagine it would be hitting its upper limits. So if, for the sake of simplicity, we say that MK8 at 1080p/60fps is the WiiU's limit, then a properly optimized PS4 most likely could pull off 4k/60fps. It's about a 4 times jump, which is less that the current theoretical difference between the WiiU and PS4.

Would be completely pointless though, seeing as almost no one owns a 4k tv :p They could down-sample it to 1080p though, you couldn't get much better 1080p IQ than that :D

PS4 can't even output 4k60. But looking at how badly games currently scale (just look at PC benchmarks at 4k) I doubt PS4 could pull it off.

I should have mentioned i was speaking from the perspective of linear resources requirements. Things obviously aren't quite that simple in reality (it assumes perfect conditions, which of course would require a fully optimized PS4/WiiU as well as 4k scaling properly).

I was talking less about the PS4 itself and more about the theoretical possibilities of the hardware relative to requirements of the task. Kind of like saying hardware equivalent in power to the PS2's could play pong in 1080p, even if the console itself couldn't.

walsufnir said:
Zekkyou said:
DonFerrari said:
I think we found our new Selnor on TheDrill and the new JohnLucas on Mine. They sure can "argue" a lotin favour of their console.

Have anyone told him the main reason for cartoonish graphics is because they are a lot cheaper to do and less power hungry. PS4 could render MK8 at 4k60fps.

Why would 4k60 impossible to output? I know ps4 can output 4k for movies, but didn't look at fps. Don't see much problem in having stardust or wipeout from ps3 being remastered in 4k60.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Why would 4k60 impossible to output? I know ps4 can output 4k for movies, but didn't look at fps. Don't see much problem in having stardust or wipeout from ps3 being remastered in 4k60.

The problem for the PS4 outputting 4K at 60 FPS has to do with the fact that it likely doesn't have an HDMI 2.0 port to have that capability. The PS4 could very well be able to render MK8 in 4K at 60 FPS. At that resolution it becomes a brutal test in bandwidth and pixel fill rates.

DonFerrari said:
walsufnir said:
Zekkyou said:
DonFerrari said:

HDMI limit.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:

memory bandwidth not including edram makes exactly 0 sense.

Its like saying 360 vs X1 CPU performance not including more than 3 cores.

No it's not the same as including only 3 cores, actually you when benchmarking CPUs on PC there is a set of benchmarks aimed at "cingle core" performance, this is easily measurable and the effects on modern game engines are well known.

For edram, esram, or any other type of buffer, even CPU and GPU L1 and L2 caches while we are at it, why not just ADD or multiply the bandwidth of all the busses into a single big number? because a 32MB buffer, even if it is almost as fast as the complete 8GB GDDR 5 the PS4 has does not make the xb1's 8GB of DDR3 as fast as the superior solution, at best in some very specific circumstances it may come close, on average probably not so much, but it will need to be flushed and refilled every few milisecond... this is not a problem if you only 1 bank of very fast memory.

So in the end, in some cases if will make things a lot faster than if the gpu only had the DDR 3 RAM, in other cases it will barely make a difference, so you can't just add it up like that and compare them, they're not the same thing.

So what's the number you would put for the xb1, xbox 360 and Wii U? because they all have that sort of setup.

curl-6 said:
petalpusher said:

People said Mario 3D World had no AA as well based on screens, but it did.

Devs seem to disagree with you about FXAA not being a replacement, as it's exploded in popularity.

And Wii U is perfectly capable of doing MSAA. Nintendo's first party tiles not utilising it is due to their devs being technologically conservative, not system limitations.

Yes, 3D world had some AA

FXAA "explodes" in popularity because it's relatively cheap (and not nearly as bad as some make it out to be).

Wii U, even PS360 can do MSAA, the question is what kind of sacrifices will be made to the lighting/resolution, etc. to achieve it.

Mind you, if it was me most games would not implement any type of AA unless they can do it at 60fps.

curl-6 said:
petalpusher said:

Super mario 3d has some edge detect, everybody did see it on pre release screen, like i can see Mario Kart has none... Edge detect is the cheapest way to add AA and almost free, even compared to FXAA, there 's really nothing to brag about having edge detect AA. It's kind of a prehistoric solution.

If they could add MSAA/SMAA or even MLAA they would put some in their game for sure ("being conservative" not putting MSAA, is that a joke ?)

FXAA has been wide spread on last gen console cause it's damn cheap. On PC you usually have MSAA hopefully and some form of morphological AA (combined it can be great)

Actually, quite a lot of people ran around saying 3D World had no AA based on pre-release screens, and they turned out to be wrong.

What are you suggesting, that the Wii U can't do MSAA? That's already been proven false, as Black Ops II and Ghosts on Wii U both use it.

Yeah, people going off of screens is rediculously funny. I laugh literally every time a screen is posted as proof of anything. It is a cute effort though.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

Actually, quite a lot of people ran around saying 3D World had no AA based on pre-release screens, and they turned out to be wrong.

What are you suggesting, that the Wii U can't do MSAA? That's already been proven false, as Black Ops II and Ghosts on Wii U both use it.

Yeah, people going off of screens is rediculously funny. I laugh literally every time a screen is posted as proof of anything. It is a cute effort though.

To be honest it's more "funny" that the AA method they are using is so outdated that people couldn't even tell there was any in screenshots or videos... I mean really, a basic edge detection method? :/

fatslob-:O said:
DonFerrari said:

The problem for the PS4 outputting 4K at 60 FPS has to do with the fact that it likely doesn't have an HDMI 2.0 port to have that capability. The PS4 could very well be able to render MK8 in 4K at 60 FPS. At that resolution it becomes a brutal test in bandwidth and pixel fill rates.

Owww I see. Not sure about the 2.0 protocol, but I doubt even movies will show 4k60fps as that isn't their standard.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."