By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HD console graphics performance comparison charts

Zekkyou said:
bigtakilla said:
Zekkyou said:
bigtakilla said:

Yeah, people going off of screens is rediculously funny. I laugh literally every time a screen is posted as proof of anything. It is a cute effort though.

To be honest it's more "funny" that the AA method they are using is so outdated that people couldn't even tell there was any in screenshots or videos... I mean really, a basic edge detection method? :/

Funny for Nintendo too. All the way to the bank with the millions they'll make off of this.

Except Nintendo have made an anual loss for the last three consecutive years... :p

This is not true. Nintendo made a profit in the last financial year 2012/2013 although they made an operating loss.

You might be referring to quaterly results which the media is in a hurry to blow out of proportions in the current Nintendoom  media narrative.

They expect to bounce back into profit on just 3.6m Wii U sales this current fiscal year 2014/2015.

Around the Network
duduspace1 said:
Zekkyou said:
bigtakilla said:

Funny for Nintendo too. All the way to the bank with the millions they'll make off of this.

Except Nintendo have made an anual loss for the last three consecutive years... :p

This is not true. Nintendo made a profit in the last financial year 2012/2013 and the one before it.

You might be referring to quaterly results which the media is in a hurry to blow out of proportions in the current Nintendoom  media narrative.

The immediate past year 2013/2014 is the first year Nintendo is making a loss in a very long time and they expect to bounce back into profit on just 3.6m Wii U sales this fiscal year.

Oops sorry, i was wrong about 2012 but both the others were losses.

Year ended March 31, 2012: Net loss of 43,204 (million yen) - http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120426e.pdf
Year Ended March 31, 2013: Net profit of 7,099 (million yen) - http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130424e.pdf
Year Ended March 31, 2014: Net loss of 23,222 (million yen) - http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140507e.pdf

Zekkyou said:
duduspace1 said:
Zekkyou said:
bigtakilla said:

This is not true. Nintendo made a profit in the last financial year 2012/2013 and the one before it.

The immediate past year 2013/2014 is the first year Nintendo is making a loss in a very long time and they expect to bounce back into profit on just 3.6m Wii U sales this fiscal year.

Oops sorry, i was wrong about 2012 but both the others were losses.

Year ended March 31, 2012: Net loss of 43,204 (million yen) - http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120426e.pdf
Year Ended March 31, 2013: Net profit of 7,099 (million yen) - http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130424e.pdf
Year Ended March 31, 2014: Net loss of 23,222 (million yen) - http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140507e.pdf

Yeah, yu're right but the media still tries too hard to make it seem Nintendo are in some financial trouble though. The life cycle of a new console these days tend to start with losses. Nintendo is not at risk of financial collapse anytime soon.

petalpusher said:

What's rediculously funny, believing marketing PR or being able to see it for yourself ? What's a better proof than an actual image of a game ? Im curious.

Of course the first step is being able to sort out supersampled bullshot and ingame screenshots. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't supersample their screenshot often, and that's a thumbs up for that. Pixel counters are "going off of screens" all the time when they get the right ones.

Seeing it myself through pictures chosen to prove a point by someone else. It's just as bad if not worse than PR. There is not only super sampled screenshots, there are also low res screen shots. Someone could also be getting PC screenshots from someone who took a screen capture on a insanely expensive gaming PC and claim it's on another system. There is just too many ways to manipulate a screenshot for me to take them seriously. Some people even get screenshots by taking them from youtube directs (Downloading the direct, loading it up in a media creator amd getting a screenshot), but these too are gotten from compressed video and are not accurately displaying what the game looks like.

I'm not saying all PS4 games are super sampled, and all Wii U games are gotten off of compressed video, all I'm saying is these screenshots should be taken with a grain of salt. They're chosen to prove a point.  When people take those as "proof" is when those screenshots can be more hurtful or helpful than PR.

blessedswine said:
Nate4Drake said:
blessedswine said:
Squeezol said:

And still no 1080p. Maybe it was just unreasonable for me to think that 1080p 30FPS would be a standard this gen, (except for Wii U of course) but whatever. I'd really rather have 1080p than extra effects and whatnot.

every wiiu game i have is 1080p  and from last i saw it has more 1080p games then the other two systems.

1080p alone means nothing.  What really matters is geometry, effects,  complex environments, physics, collision system, animations, AI;  even 360 or PS3 could deliver games at 1080p if all the above is tuned down.  It depends from what you have on screen.  

that was my point though, the wiiU games are 1080p but still dont look as good and it comes down to it doesnt have the power to do 1080p with all effects and everything turned on.  1080p really means nothing to gaming beyond marketing.   The perfect example is Thief while its not the best graphically youd be hard pressed to see the difference between the ps4 and x1 and the ps4 is 1080p x1 is 900p, honestly i rather have 720p and a rock steady framerate then a developer force 1080p and have the framerate all over the place.

1080p is how clear the picture is rendered, 60fps determines how clear the picture stays while in motion. And that's just the bottom basics of 60fps. Unstable framerates effect how the entire game playes. This could be directly associated with lag on an online match, or playing the game in slow motion and not executing commands when pressing buttons. There is also screen jumping, or dropping frames, which can result in running off ledges, ect. 

These are hardly just marketing words, but thank you.  

Around the Network

Great post.

The difference from current to last gen is incredible from those graphs.

They also make the PS3 look bad, but it has some amazing games and graphics (I love my PS3)

Do the PS3 graphs take account of using SPU's properly ?

existenz2 said:

Great post.

The difference from current to last gen is incredible from those graphs.

They also make the PS3 look bad, but it has some amazing games and graphics (I love my PS3)

Do the PS3 graphs take account of using SPU's properly ?

No, actually even RSX is not so easily quantified, due to non-unified shader architecture. So, in the end, you have Sony 1st parties that can squeeze everything from RSX and SPUs and make PS3 more powerfull than 360, and lot of 3rd parties (specially in early years) not capable of doing that and making PS3 looking weaker.

Probably already been discussed and likely not going to change the OP, but your WiiU info is not correct and has been largely proven wrong in many highly technical discussions.

See my sig for a bunch of the same arguments/data as well as the real (lower) settings.

superchunk said:
Probably already been discussed and likely not going to change the OP, but your WiiU info is not correct and has been largely proven wrong in many highly technical discussions.

See my sig for a bunch of the same arguments/data as well as the real (lower) settings.

Huh, so the WiiU's GPU peak is half of what we used to think?

Zekkyou said:
superchunk said:

Huh, so the WiiU's GPU peak is half of what we used to think?

According to speculations and best guesses on where tech heads would place it based on if it were the worst possible parts. 

But that usually translates into PS4 fan facts.