By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HD console graphics performance comparison charts

mine said:
Zekkyou said:

I think MLB takes the prize for crowds, at least they are 3D

Yeah. You've found a game where Xone and PS4 do shine. But unfortunally both can't handle that number of persons if each of them would have their own personality or AI...

Dead Rising 2 managed it well enough on the PS3/360, so i'm sure i'll live with the PS4/X1

Around the Network
amak11 said:
Porcupeth said:
Squeezol said:

And still no 1080p. Maybe it was just unreasonable for me to think that 1080p 30FPS would be a standard this gen, (except for Wii U of course) but whatever. I'd really rather have 1080p than extra effects and whatnot.

All Sony exclusives are 1080p. Don't blame PS4 for third party's incompetence :)

also not sure why you mention Wii U...several of its games are 720p/30fps, including exclusives.

That is false, many of it's games are 60fps including exclusives

I already listed the games

ZombiU and Pikmin 3 are 720p/30fps

the rest of exclusives is usually 720p/60fps

Wind waker hd is 1080p/30fps

multiplats are 720p/30fps

fatslob-:O said:

You have much to learn it's not even funny ... You don't actually follow alot of high technology sites, now do you ? You could probably reduce spouting alot of drivel if you learned what was happening in the background. I suggest that you start looking at the semiconductor manufacturing industry to find some more info about the current situation ... 

Sure. Nvidia didn't bring out Maxwell. They didn't announce Pascal. AMD didn't announce GDDR on-die. Also AMDs Freesync isn't going to be an official DP 1.2a which will give NVidia some headaches with their Gsync intiative...

And of course those AMD Netbook Cores put those Intel Desktop cores to a shame... . And of course Intels integrated graphics stand still too. I guess they have invested heavily into DX12 just for fun, as NVidia too...

To put it simple:

I was smart enough to buy a console where graphics don't matter but gameplay does.

What about you?

DolPhanTendo said:
LOL As Mario Kart creeps closer each day the Nintendo haters come out and play. Why does my Deluxe Set Box say 32 gig if it is so weak, maybe the 8 gig was but look up the 32 gig. and Wikipedia is not good source dude. I would go to each site and get there specs

mine said:

Sure. Nvidia didn't bring out Maxwell. They didn't announce Pascal. AMD didn't announce GDDR on-die. Also AMDs Freesync isn't going to be an official DP 1.2a which will give NVidia some headaches with their Gsync intiative...

GDDR will NOT go on die. (I think you maybe confused ...) BTW adaptive sync is an OPTIONAL feature in DP 1.2a and I'm not sure which is going to pan out ... 

And of course those AMD Netbook Cores put those Intel Desktop cores to a shame... . And of course Intels integrated graphics stand still too. I guess they have invested heavily into DX12 just for fun, as NVidia too...

To put it simple:

I was smart enough to buy a console where graphics don't matter but gameplay does.

What about you?

I'm on PC ... 

This has almost NOTHING to do with the chip designers! ALL of this traces back to chip manufacturers like Intel, Samsung, Globalfoundries, and TSMC. Your looking at the wrong place from my perspective ... 

Around the Network
blessedswine said:
Squeezol said:

And still no 1080p. Maybe it was just unreasonable for me to think that 1080p 30FPS would be a standard this gen, (except for Wii U of course) but whatever. I'd really rather have 1080p than extra effects and whatnot.

every wiiu game i have is 1080p  and from last i saw it has more 1080p games then the other two systems.

Display output doesn't mean rendering in 1080p. Every PS360  games are "1080p" to your standard then.

The vast majority of WiiU games are rendered in 720p or less, and also lacks proper MSAA. Mario Kart 8 is 720p no AA for example (not even a post proc AA)

The few games actually rendered in 1080p on WiiU are last gen port or GC/3DS port.. 

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1676919&postcount=5

petalpusher said:
blessedswine said:
Squeezol said:

every wiiu game i have is 1080p  and from last i saw it has more 1080p games then the other two systems.

Display output doesn't mean rendering in 1080p. Every PS360  games are "1080p" to your standard then.

The vast majority of WiiU games are rendered in 720p or less, and also lacks proper MSAA. Mario Kart 8 is 720p no AA for example (not even a post proc AA)

The few games actually rendered in 1080p on WiiU are last gen port or GC/3DS port.. 

Do you have a source for MK8 having no AA? It likely uses edge detection AA like Nintendo's other first party titles.

And the lack of MSAA (though some Wii U games do use it) isn't Wii U's fault; the console just happened to come out when MSAA was being displaced by FXAA.

curl-6 said:
petalpusher said:
blessedswine said:
Squeezol said:

Do you have a source for MK8 having no AA? It likely uses edge detection AA like Nintendo's other first party titles.

And the lack of MSAA (though some Wii U games do use it) isn't Wii U's fault; the console just happened to come out when MSAA was being displaced by FXAA.

Well i m able to take a look at a screenshot ? (a real framebuffer one captured directly from the console). There s a couple in this thread and they all lack any form of anti-aliasing.

For instance (720p / no AA)

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/8/82063/2632969-wiiu_screenshot_tv_01baqx7.jpg

Also nothing "replaces" MSAA. FXAA are heuristic type of algorythm, they don't perform any supersampling, it's terrible in a lot of situation cause it doesn't treat all parts of the rendering and some geomety in particular and blur the whole image (but it's cheap in rendering time about 1ms). MSAA will always be usefull and never be "displaced".. (that's one thing i hear a lot on forum). Having AA or not is usually related to bandwidth (moving supersampled early buffer in and out takes some), so eDRAM could have helped a bit with the WiiU, but the system DDR3 is really too slow (and small bus) to afford it, as no first party title feature any.

SMAA is a (way) more refined FXAA but should be joined by MSAA for really good results. (customed one seen in Ryse and Infamous for example)

petalpusher said:

Well i m able to take a look at a screenshot ? (a real framebuffer one captured directly from the console). There s a couple in this thread and they all lack any form of anti-aliasing.

For instance (720p / no AA)

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/8/82063/2632969-wiiu_screenshot_tv_01baqx7.jpg

Also nothing "replaces" MSAA. FXAA are heuristic type of algorythm, they don't perform any supersampling, it's terrible in a lot of situation cause it doesn't treat all parts of the rendering and some geomety in particular and blur the whole image (but it's cheap in rendering time about 1ms). MSAA will always be usefull and never be "displaced".. (that's one thing i hear a lot on forum). Having AA or not is usually related to bandwidth (moving supersampled early buffer in and out takes some), so eDRAM could have helped a bit with the WiiU, but the system DDR3 is really too slow (and small bus) to afford it, as no first party title feature any.

SMAA is a (way) more refined FXAA but should be joined by MSAA for really good results. (customed one seen in Ryse and Infamous for example)

People said Mario 3D World had no AA as well based on screens, but it did.

Devs seem to disagree with you about FXAA not being a replacement, as it's exploded in popularity.

And Wii U is perfectly capable of doing MSAA. Nintendo's first party tiles not utilising it is due to their devs being technologically conservative, not system limitations.

Super mario 3d has some edge detect, everybody did see it on pre release screen, like i can see Mario Kart has none... Edge detect is the cheapest way to add AA and almost free, even compared to FXAA, there 's really nothing to brag about having edge detect AA. It's kind of a prehistoric solution.

If they could add MSAA/SMAA or even MLAA they would put some in their game for sure ("being conservative" not putting MSAA, is that a joke ?)

FXAA has been wide spread on last gen console cause it's damn cheap. On PC you usually have MSAA hopefully and some form of morphological AA (combined it can be great)