By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Goodbye to Numbered Sequels?

Tagged games:

Augen said:
PSwii60 said:
Mario Kart 8

A series that went the opposite way as use to be Super, 64, Double Dash, Super Circuit, DS, Wii and then said...screw it, 7 and 8.

Exactly

Around the Network

Maybe they're getting embarrassed at how big some of the numbers are getting in such a short time?

Nah.

Removing numbers actually sucks. Tomb Raider got really confusing to figure out what's the correct order to play the series. Ignoring the reboot that is suppose to be just called Tomb Raider. Never liked it. It looks like the company starts getting embarised they made so many games in a series.

What are you talking about? Spin-offs arent sequels and some games ditch the number so plsyers wont skip because they didnt play the 1st 2 games.

As far as subtitles go. Who cares? Its been done for ages.

Its not like its going to become a trend, brcause when ypu add subtitles to the end, especially with similar words, people get confused as to which is new and old. Like Fantom Pain, Peace Walker and the other one...

On my phone, so the edit button doesnt work. But I just remembered its ground zeroes and Phantom Pain. Peace Walker is the PSP game. But thats exactly my point. it gets confusing.

Around the Network

The number system is off to a lot of people...

they will always think...

if i buy XXXXXX-3 without playing XXXXXX-2 and 1 from generation 6th adn 7th ... would i miss a lot of story? then maybe i will just skip it

Yeah aha there are still a lot of games getting numbered sequels. Strong arguments against my points here. I can see why they do label them as something else entirely, especially when they're spin-offs, I think I just overlooked how many were coming out soon that would be numbered. Hey ho.

Other than GTA and Racing games I have to say this is smart and I think cooler than just slapping a number on there. I mean when someone sees "Infamous 3" the first thing they'll think is "well I didn't play the first 2 so I probably shouldn't get that one..." Meanwhile if they see "Infamous: Second Son" it has more of a unique feel with less ties maybe. They can jump right into that one and it mostly lives up to that expectation.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Maybe we would finally get a new Half-Life game!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

imo a subtitle is better than a number.
it also prevents casuals from picking one game over another just because its the newest one.