By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to offer Wii DLC and you have to pay for some online games X_X

I got the impression that this pay-to-play service was designed explicitly for third parties to take advantage of, actually. A unified system like that would allow MMO games from third parties to be set up as pay-to-play without having to deal with subscription fees manually. They'd just register their game with Nintendo as pay-to-play, and let Nintendo do the transactions for them.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
this probably will kill off 80% of any 3rd party online games. Why charge customers for a poor service when XBL and the PSN are better.

Yes you are so right, it is not even funny.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I don't really care about the pay to play thing. How is that different from PCs? Some games require you to pay to use their online service, others don't. I don't see what the big deal is. It's more of a service for 3rd party devs who have to cover costs of servers, and opens the way for MMOs which cost alot to upkeep.

As usual people are getting upset over something minor.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

ssj12 said:
this probably will kill off 80% of any 3rd party online games. Why charge customers for a poor service when XBL and the PSN are better.

SSJ this is a total bullshit post.

1) Clearly, this system won't even be in 80% of games, or it would already be in Mario Kart and Brawl.  It's obviously designed for special circumsatnces.

2) We don't know what services will be offered for these games.  

3) We don't even know if this is just a system reserved for MMOs or other games with extremely complex online systems or not.  

Yes, it'd be different if you had to pay for ALL online games, like Xbox Live.

You don't, and CLEARLY this is just for MMO-type games...of which Nintendo apparently doesn't even have in production.

And yes, this actually helps third parties. If they want to make an MMO-type game and use their own servers...they're not going to do it for free...this pay-to-play system using Wii Points will solve that problem easily.

The only problem I see is that right now half of you are confused and think this will be for most regular online games.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

SOME games, not all =)
don't whine, if the game is good im willing too pay

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Calm down everyone!

It's crystal clear that Nintendo WON'T charge for regular games.
Why on earth would they otherwise make their biggest online games ever (Brawl & Kart) free?
From a business standpoint that's not very smart.

They're obviously talking about things like MMO's.

Great news! The rumored DLC is true! Go GH4!

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

This is likely just for a new MMORPG such as that sega game Phantasy Star online, this may not have anything to do with first party online games and simply for 3rd party efforts, even the gamecube had a pay to play game with no warning on the box this is a good idea. Also PS2 had a pay to play game in FF so not even sonys online has been 100% free

Man what do you think prompted them to do this? First, Reggies cocky "were gunna shit all over MS in the US" statement, now charging for online?

Nothing drives away casual gamers like pay to play.