By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to offer Wii DLC and you have to pay for some online games X_X

The only games I've ever payed to play online was Word of Warcraft....

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:
Again, how is this different from PCs? Any PC gamers here? This is just like PC online gaming. Each developer decides whether or not you'll pay to play their game online. The only difference is you can pay with wiipoints, instead of paying each developer individually with a credit card.

This isn't even new. Games like Phantasy Star online, and Final Fantasy XI already did/do this.

People are freaking out over a complete non-issue.

Pardon my French Vagabond, but what the hell are you talking about? The only PC online services that charge anything are MMOs and Windows Live. PC online is and always will be 99% free.  Now, if this is just for MMOs (which is what I think) then it will be like PCs, but random games aren't charged for.

If its only for MMO then its ok .If its for many games it SUCKS big time .

For me the way for the future of online gaming is the current Sony model .Free online play ,pay for downloadable things and games ,totally lagfree ....and with the userbase pushing for them to refine slowly the service (XMB ingame ,Home ,Trophies ,etc ) .

Bodhesatva said:

Sounds appropriate to me.

Sony is killing themselves with this free online service (just in case people thought I was just being the Wii defense force, I've consistently defended XBL).

Here's the simplest way to put it: look at the profit margins on the Xbox and Playstation brands over the last 2-3 years; they are, collectively, billions upon billions of dollars in the hole. Without doing the math fully, they're likely 4-5 billion dollars in the red combined.

In short: you may think we're paying too much for video games, but it's quite clear that we aren't paying enough. This isn't sustainable. Microsoft and Sony in particular absolutely must find new ways to bring in more money, because the current model isn't enough.

While I don't think Nintendo needs to have a subscription online service, I think it's smart to do so for long term growth.

Now, here's a prediction I think most of you will like better: I predict this move was made specifically to accomodate an Animal Crossing MMO.

Heh, if that's the case, then they need to find a way to make games cheaper to make, because more expansive prices are only going to reduce the number of people willing to buy games. Games like COD4 and Halo 3, though both you need to pay to play online (for the 360) and have sold well, I don't think there's enough people willing to pay to play online to make this a viable option for more revenue. And since these games are dependent on their online features, someone like me (who would never pay to play online) would just skip over them, and I'm sure many will do the same.

I don't know if the fee's for online services would cover the reduced income from the number of people who wont buy the game because of the fee, but. I guess my point is they shouldn't be finding more ways to squeeze money out the consumers, because I doubt many consumers are willing (and able) to pay for these things. And demand is all about what consumers are willing and able to pay for something. Just because my roommate wants a PS3 doesn't mean he'll get one, because though he is willing to pay for it, he is unable to (as I would be). Games are almost getting to that point for me too. I'm almost not willing or able to buy games at their current prices. Online fees? No.

I agree with your last sentence though. 

I want to ask this question more generally, because I think it's an important point. For anyone who's looked at MS and Sony's financial statements for the last 2 or 3 years, it's pretty apparent that they have to make more money somehow. And in case you thought this was a momentary, 2-3 year blip, the situation has generally gotten worse, not better; Sony made more money in the PS1 era (Despite the PS2 being a more popular console both in hardware and software sold), and it's readily apparent that they'll make a lot less money in the PS3 era. What we may think is a lot of money -- 600 dollar PS3, 400 dollar Xbox 360s, 60 dollar games -- clearly isn't enough.

They have to make more money. What do you suggest they do? I'll give you some options:

1) Decrease the power of the consoles in the future. Take the Wii route, and take small steps.

2) Increase the price of the hardware

3) Increase the price of the games

4) Introduce for-pay downloadable content

5) Introduce an online subscription service

Option 1 seems to be completely unacceptable to a lot of people. Option 2 and 3 seem almost absurd, as people are complaining about the prices of the PS3 and 360 even now, when their respective companies have bled billions to push them at their current costs.

Number 4 has already been put in place by all 3 companies, and for Microsoft and Sony, it clearly isn't enough to stem the tide.

So that leaves number 5. Am I missing something? Is there some error in my calculations here? Because from what I see, subscription costs are simply a necessity. Or we can all buy Wiis. Or they can sell the PS3 for 800 dollars. You chose, because Sony and Microsoft aren't going to be happy bleeding billions upon billions of dollars for eternity.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

I think you guys are all over-reacting.

First off, this isn't replacing regular wifi, just another option should a game have downloadable content (GH4) or be MMO based. Nothing shocking or unusual here, you pay on MS and Sony service for downloadable content too. And MMOs are always some form of pay-to-play.

This is also probably key to their expansion in China/India and South America where you can bet 90% of games will be pirated. So to be profitable in those areas, you need to have pay-to-play games.

naznatips said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Again, how is this different from PCs? Any PC gamers here? This is just like PC online gaming. Each developer decides whether or not you'll pay to play their game online. The only difference is you can pay with wiipoints, instead of paying each developer individually with a credit card.

This isn't even new. Games like Phantasy Star online, and Final Fantasy XI already did/do this.

People are freaking out over a complete non-issue.

Pardon my French Vagabond, but what the hell are you talking about? The only PC online services that charge anything are MMOs and Windows Live. PC online is and always will be 99% free. Now, if this is just for MMOs (which is what I think) then it will be like PCs, but random games aren't charged for.

Wait, you don't pay 50 dollars a month for Steam?

Uh oh.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

This means that MMOs are coming and i don't think MMO games would work with FCs so yay!

If that's not the case and they start charging other online games Nintendo lost a fan and just shot themselves!

Stever89 said:
Bodhesatva said:

Sounds appropriate to me.

Sony is killing themselves with this free online service (just in case people thought I was just being the Wii defense force, I've consistently defended XBL).

Here's the simplest way to put it: look at the profit margins on the Xbox and Playstation brands over the last 2-3 years; they are, collectively, billions upon billions of dollars in the hole. Without doing the math fully, they're likely 4-5 billion dollars in the red combined.

In short: you may think we're paying too much for video games, but it's quite clear that we aren't paying enough. This isn't sustainable. Microsoft and Sony in particular absolutely must find new ways to bring in more money, because the current model isn't enough.

While I don't think Nintendo needs to have a subscription online service, I think it's smart to do so for long term growth.

Now, here's a prediction I think most of you will like better: I predict this move was made specifically to accomodate an Animal Crossing MMO.

Heh, if that's the case, then they need to find a way to make games cheaper to make

They can do this -- make a system like the Wii. 

Buuuuut that doesn't seem to make most people happy. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be any magic fairy dust that will magically make games significantly cheaper to develop. Even the vaunted middleware, which probably is helping, can't bring costs back down to PS2 levels or even (I suspect) close to them. And what happens next generation? More middleware will need to be developed, which will cost more billions, all to bring costs to an even higher plateau than they're on now.

ssj12 said:
naznatips said:
ssj12 said:
this probably will kill off 80% of any 3rd party online games. Why make charge customers for a poor service when XBL and the PSN are better.

SSJ this is a total bullshit post.

1) Clearly, this system won't even be in 80% of games, or it would already be in Mario Kart and Brawl.  It's obviously designed for special circumsatnces.

2) We don't know what services will be offered for these games.  

3) We don't even know if this is just a system reserved for MMOs or other games with extremely complex online systems or not.  

I was meaning it as if they force it to be implemented into 3rd party games. Why would Nintendo charge customers for their own games? From what I can tell its either going to be either only MMOs... which we will only see two or three on any console anyways, or be used as the main network for third parties similar to XBL minus 1st party titles being effected. 

Let's hope this is only for MMO:s, since i don't play them. So, now Wiis online is on par with PS3:s, what it comes to charging from it. I'd guess it's pretty similar with PS3:s; it's free if you use Nintendos servers, but using publishers own gaming servers, they can charge you if they want to. So it's either game specific or publisher specific. Although, i don't count out the (1st party published) MMO:s.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.