By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to offer Wii DLC and you have to pay for some online games X_X

ssj12 said:
naznatips said:
ssj12 said:
this probably will kill off 80% of any 3rd party online games. Why make charge customers for a poor service when XBL and the PSN are better.

SSJ this is a total bullshit post.

1) Clearly, this system won't even be in 80% of games, or it would already be in Mario Kart and Brawl.  It's obviously designed for special circumsatnces.

2) We don't know what services will be offered for these games.  

3) We don't even know if this is just a system reserved for MMOs or other games with extremely complex online systems or not.  

I was meaning it as if they force it to be implemented into 3rd party games. Why would Nintendo charge customers for their own games? From what I can tell its either going to be either only MMOs... which we will only see two or three on any console anyways, or be used as the main network for third parties similar to XBL minus 1st party titles being effected. 

Why on earth would you assume that it was a charge forced upon developers of third party titles? Nintendo is working hard to rebuild their third party support, and they obviously would not do anything remotely like that.  Rather, iit's pretty obvious that they are putting an infrastructure in place to allow people to plop their MMORPG's down onto the system, and to facilitate a smooth way to pay for it. 

If anything else this makes them more attractive to third party developers as it gives MMORPG production houses a reason to develop for the system.

Around the Network

Also.

Downloadable content is cool, but how soon until you run out of your 512mb of internal memory? And two gigs on a SD card is nice, but not (borat voice) verrry niiice.

Hey DMeisterJ, how many MB of your internal memory is taken up right now?

How is it being Bodhesatva?

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

APolitical said:
Hey DMeisterJ, how many MB of your internal memory is taken up right now?

lol.

Don't own a Wii.

But I have an elite 360, and I have forty two megabytes left.

Around the Network

In reading this thread, several things pop to mind.

1. If there are 10M people on Xbox Live, paying an average of $50 annaully, that's a lot of money out there to be made.

2. This opens up an option for MMOs, specialty servers (if EA gets all sports licenese, might they not think about a fee-based system for example), and other options.

3. Maybe this will LOWER game prices. Think about it. What if the price of the game already includes support for the online play built into the structure. If that cost is ununbundled, those who don't want to pay for on-line play don't have to pay for it. A $50 game might drop to $40 with a $10 add on-component for online play. No real cost increase ... and a decreae to the non-on-line gamer which includes many a Wii family.

4. It is doubtful Nintendo wants to set up a huge cash cow though, as it would have done this for Brawl and Kart.

Mike from Morgantown

And all of these are guesses.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Stever89 said:
Bodhesatva said:

I want to ask this question more generally, because I think it's an important point. For anyone who's looked at MS and Sony's financial statements for the last 2 or 3 years, it's pretty apparent that they have to make more money somehow. And in case you thought this was a momentary, 2-3 year blip, the situation has generally gotten worse, not better; Sony made more money in the PS1 era (Despite the PS2 being a more popular console both in hardware and software sold), and it's readily apparent that they'll make a lot less money in the PS3 era. What we may think is a lot of money -- 600 dollar PS3, 400 dollar Xbox 360s, 60 dollar games -- clearly isn't enough.

They have to make more money. What do you suggest they do? I'll give you some options:

1) Decrease the power of the consoles in the future. Take the Wii route, and take small steps.

2) Increase the price of the hardware

3) Increase the price of the games

4) Introduce for-pay downloadable content

5) Introduce an online subscription service

Option 1 seems to be completely unacceptable to a lot of people. Option 2 and 3 seem almost absurd, as people are complaining about the prices of the PS3 and 360 even now, when their respective companies have bled billions to push them at their current costs.

Number 4 has already been put in place by all 3 companies, and for Microsoft and Sony, it clearly isn't enough to stem the tide.

So that leaves number 5. Am I missing something? Is there some error in my calculations here? Because from what I see, subscription costs are simply a necessity. Or we can all buy Wiis. Or they can sell the PS3 for 800 dollars. You chose, because Sony and Microsoft aren't going to be happy bleeding billions upon billions of dollars for eternity.

Isn't number 2 some of the reasons why PC gaming has died? Too expensive hardware (for most games at least, and the more hardcore games usually have high spec requirements), along with unreliable software. And I think the only problem most people have this time around is the great difference between the Wii's power and the HD consoles power. I don't think anyone (from this forum) complained that the PS2 wasn't as powerful as the GC or Xbox. Why weren't people saying that games should be put on those consoles because they'd look better?

It seems Naz is right. Only a few people care about graphics, and they should either get a nice computer and help the real graphic machine, or deal with less than "great" graphics. Otherwise, it won't be casuals that destroy the market. It'll be the hardcores.

That was basically the point I was making -- all the possibilities I listed are either unpalatable to the 360/PS3 consumer (1,2,3,5) or have already been implemented and aren't enough on their own (4).

But something on that list has to happen, because economic reality demands it. To go to an extreme to highlight the point: I would love to have a brand new quad core computer for 200 dollars, but such a pricing structure would quickly put Dell, Gateway, and other hardware manufacturers out of business. There is no magic fairy dust that suddenly makes high end electronics cheap to develop (please keep in mind everyone that I'm talking about the pricing structure over the life of the system, not just right now. Production costs will drop, but so too will MSRPs). I have to either be prepared to pay more, or be willing to buy a cheaper, less powerful computer.

And that's basically the situation that PS3/360 users are in: pay more, or buy cheaper, less powerful systems, because the current pricing structure isn't tenable.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Actually Sony has been really surprised at how much money they have made off of the PSN with downloadable games, content, etc. I know that I am much more willing to shell out $5-15 for PSN titles when I don't have to pay for a yearly service.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

^ Future is bring then, is what you're trying to say?

Seriously though, the PS3 (at least) and 360 (to an extent) are going to have to last 10 years because in 6 years they won't be able to make a system that is powerful enough to warrant an upgrade, but there's no way they're going to make another $400 and $600 systems. It just doesn't work.

naznatips said:
I would guess this is was developed for the new Animal Crossing MMO as well as future MMOs as a measure of affording server maintenance without charging monthly fees.

You Sunk my battleship!!!

That is exactly it. Games like SSBB or MKWii etc, will remain free. However, Nintendo is obviously stepping into the MMORPG realm and probably wants more games like that on the Wii. Just like PC gaming, it costs extra. PC online gaming is almost universally free with the exception of this genre. I expect that is the angle Nintendo is headed.

Free online for all non-MMO games. Obviously they are not hurting, the DS is completely free still and it has had online far longer than Wii.