By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Report: Sony Paid $400 million for Warner Bros' Blu-Ray move

stephen700 said:

As a blu-ray player the Ps3 is destined for an increase in sales permanently - my prediction of 23 million by end of 2008 was wrong it may be significantly higher.

I think next weeks figures will show PS3 outselling the X360 in the US by over 10% after matching it this week . Expect over 90K per week in the US alone for the next 3 months or more.

In 3 weeks paramounts/Dreamworks latest movies will begin appearing on blu-ray and this will push the weekly Ps3 sales past the Wii for a time in 2008.

Once the next price cut/manufacturing improvement happens ie 45nm cell and 65nm RSX the Ps3 will exceed the Wii in sales as A Blu-ray player not as a games machine. !

A theorised 400million bribe ! if it were this much we will hear about it - toshiba and Paramout never managed to kept their 180mil deal secret. Sony shareholders will see it in the annual shareholders report if 400 million magically vanished. Fact is there probably was no such deal, Blu-ray won by consumers buying it 2:1 over Hd-DVD and it will save the Movie industry from a diminishing DVD market.

Expect PS3 well over 23 million by end 2008. and near 50million by end 2009.

Apparently they did.  All I've ever heard about is the 150 million deal:)

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
stephen700 said:

As a blu-ray player the Ps3 is destined for an increase in sales permanently - my prediction of 23 million by end of 2008 was wrong it may be significantly higher.

I think next weeks figures will show PS3 outselling the X360 in the US by over 10% after matching it this week . Expect over 90K per week in the US alone for the next 3 months or more.

In 3 weeks paramounts/Dreamworks latest movies will begin appearing on blu-ray and this will push the weekly Ps3 sales past the Wii for a time in 2008.

Once the next price cut/manufacturing improvement happens ie 45nm cell and 65nm RSX the Ps3 will exceed the Wii in sales as A Blu-ray player not as a games machine. !

A theorised 400million bribe ! if it were this much we will hear about it - toshiba and Paramout never managed to kept their 180mil deal secret. Sony shareholders will see it in the annual shareholders report if 400 million magically vanished. Fact is there probably was no such deal, Blu-ray won by consumers buying it 2:1 over Hd-DVD and it will save the Movie industry from a diminishing DVD market.

Apparently they did. All I've ever heard about is the 150 million deal:)

Lol, I was going to say the same exact thing. :P 

CrazzyMan said:
Not OFFICIAL.
Specuations ONLY.
Whatever. Blu-ray FTW! =))

double chin for the win.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

stephen700 said:

65nm RSX is out 

skeezer said:
DOubt that , with 400 mil the might as well pay for gt4 exclusivity or GoW

Wow, that's a narrow minded gamers reply.

In case you didn't know: Sony's core business is consumer electronics, and Blu-Ray as a movie format, if successfull, will gain Sony a lot more money than it's game business.

Around the Network
PooperScooper said:
Starcraft you're too much for me. You are such a conspiracy theorist. Looking for facts that aren't there. Accept the fact HD-DVD lost because they sucked and Warner knew that and went Blu

Stop talking nonsense and/or being a Sony lover.  HD DVD lost because Sony owns a few movie studios, has the most successful console brand and trojan horsed Blu-Ray into it's latest console.  If you think Blu Ray would have won if PS3 didn't have Blu Ray built in then you live in some fantasy land.  I wish people would accept reality and stop saying rubbish like HD-DVD lost cos it sucked.   

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Branko2166 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
PooperScooper said:

So what I gathered from you is "blah blah blah i cant afford technology blah" got it.(i bought my 1080i for 100 dollars.) How old are you? you sound like my grandpa who can't remember the technological moves and wonders what happened to his record player.

And you are an animal hater at that. how depressing.

Blu-ray is to Dvds as Ferrari's are to Geo's. Ashera's are to Tabby's. USA is to Ethiopia.

And you just made my argument for me. The Problem is only a minority of the public want or can afford a Ferrari much ales see the value in one over a far more economic Geo. Blu-Ray is the same way.

If the public can't have or don't want something, then it will fail. Though from what I gathered from you, "Blah blah blah, i can afford it so that means it will do well so long as I buy it".

I wasn't aware 1080i TVs are going for 100 dollars now, how big is it? 8"x6" screen?

Hmm I don't know about American prices but in Australia I can buy a 1080p 40inch LCD tv for $2000 (1800 US)

Which is just over 2 weeks pay for me. And this is full HD. 1080i or below televisions are much cheaper. Btw comparing a  ferrari's price to a hi def tv or bluray is hilarious and shows either your ignorance or your willingness to just come out with negative anti Sony statements even if they don't make sense.

Btw he was referring to quality and obviously didn't imply the cost is the same. 

Keep in mind Ferraris will always be a rich man's toy where as hi def will be for the masses  

And how much longer will Hi def remain a rich man's toy before becomming something for the Masses? Try and kid yourself everyone is adopting Hi def at a great rate, but I still see no more than ten percent of the market having embraced it.

Girl Gamer Elite said:

And how much longer will Hi def remain a rich man's toy before becomming something for the Masses? Try and kid yourself everyone is adopting Hi def at a great rate, but I still see no more than ten percent of the market having embraced it.

Furthermore, it's not even guaranteed that people will care about HD formats, even when they have an HDTV. I'd really like to see a survey of HDTV owners, to see how many really know what 720p/1080i/1080p is, and whether they know or not that DVD resolution needs upscaling to be shown on those screens. I suspect that a large proportion doesn't know or care.

Many people here want to believe that the transition from DVD to Blu-Ray will be as fast and/or pervasive as the transition from VHS to DVD was, but I really don't see enough reasons for that to be the case.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

tuoyo said:
PooperScooper said:
Starcraft you're too much for me. You are such a conspiracy theorist. Looking for facts that aren't there. Accept the fact HD-DVD lost because they sucked and Warner knew that and went Blu

Stop talking nonsense and/or being a Sony lover.  HD DVD lost because Sony owns a few movie studios, has the most successful console brand and trojan horsed Blu-Ray into it's latest console.  If you think Blu Ray would have won if PS3 didn't have Blu Ray built in then you live in some fantasy land.  I wish people would accept reality and stop saying rubbish like HD-DVD lost cos it sucked.   

WOW! I didn't know anyone could make my point even better. All you are saying is "blah blah blah HD-DVD sucked blu ray pwned" I didn't know liking HD movies meant I love Sony... I thought it would mean I like Warner, Paramount, Universal, Disney, ect ect.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
Branko2166 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
PooperScooper said:

So what I gathered from you is "blah blah blah i cant afford technology blah" got it.(i bought my 1080i for 100 dollars.) How old are you? you sound like my grandpa who can't remember the technological moves and wonders what happened to his record player.

And you are an animal hater at that. how depressing.

Blu-ray is to Dvds as Ferrari's are to Geo's. Ashera's are to Tabby's. USA is to Ethiopia.

And you just made my argument for me. The Problem is only a minority of the public want or can afford a Ferrari much ales see the value in one over a far more economic Geo. Blu-Ray is the same way.

If the public can't have or don't want something, then it will fail. Though from what I gathered from you, "Blah blah blah, i can afford it so that means it will do well so long as I buy it".

I wasn't aware 1080i TVs are going for 100 dollars now, how big is it? 8"x6" screen?

Hmm I don't know about American prices but in Australia I can buy a 1080p 40inch LCD tv for $2000 (1800 US)

Which is just over 2 weeks pay for me. And this is full HD. 1080i or below televisions are much cheaper. Btw comparing a ferrari's price to a hi def tv or bluray is hilarious and shows either your ignorance or your willingness to just come out with negative anti Sony statements even if they don't make sense.

Btw he was referring to quality and obviously didn't imply the cost is the same.

Keep in mind Ferraris will always be a rich man's toy where as hi def will be for the masses

Are you reading what I said?? I said that Ferraris will remain a rich man's toy while hi def will become available for the masses. I don't know the percentage of hi def adoption at the present time but it is increasing as it is a gradual shift and it won't happen overnight. Again both you and NJ5 are ignoring the fact that not only is it going to become affordable for the mass market but that people will become more aware of hi def as it will be pushed and more strongly marketed by the movie and electronics industries.

GGE you continually attempt to twist my words around as you don't seem to be able to counter with well though out rebuttals. I didn't say that "EVERYONE" is adopting hi def at great rate. I have argued and still believe that the hi def market share will go up  and even a gradual adoption of hi def will mean massive sales of bluray players and media considering the size of the world markets.