By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Report: Sony Paid $400 million for Warner Bros' Blu-Ray move

"Analysts say Sony only prevailed following a heated bidding war against Toshiba, with the reward reaching as much as $400-million." qoute from the article posted

I don't take analysts predictions as fact. 

Around the Network

damkira said:

"The pivotal decision that led to the end of the hi-def DVD format war was the result of an auction between rivals Sony and Toshiba ..."

According to the same sources I know which have supplied the $500 million or $400 million figures, it was not an auction because Warner told Toshiba that they wouldn't go HD DVD exclusive (even for money) unless Toshiba could get another big studio to switch. Warner wanted to end the war and be on the winning side, which they saw they could if they went with Blu-ray. Without another studio going changing, Warner going to HD DVD exclusively would have been unlikely to end the war anytime soon. Toshiba failed to get another studio to switch and so Warner went to the side that could close the war out quickly. Of course both sides were willing to offer incentives (this is business) but Toshiba wasn't given that option without meeting another requirement. I find it interesting how some people have latched onto Sony giving something to Warner while ignoring the part from the same sources about Warner not allowing Toshiba to just match what Sony offered. Kind of like a star quarterback telling a team that he will only go to them if they can sign a star wide receiver and when they fail to do that, the quarterback signs with the same team the star wide receiver plays for, since the quarterback wants to win championships. The quarterback getting paid doesn't mean it was just a bidding war for his services. --Darin

This thread is fucked, wtf happened.

EDIT: Fixed

Anyway, $400 million is chump change in exchange for winning a format war...

Someone close this thread, its completely made up. I've posted a link to an official warner statement. Stop the stupid FUD.

Well yeah, why would they pay 400 million why HD DVD was losing...

Around the Network

if it was 40 million, i'd buy it. How do a company hide 400 million payout from its financial report??

and Man, Toronto Global and Mail? the number 4 seller paper in Toronto. I guess they are just desperate to get some 'exclusive' news.

;), who was their source?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
if it was 40 million, i'd buy it. How do a company hide 400 million payout from its financial report??

and Man, Toronto Global and Mail? the number 4 seller paper in Toronto. I guess they are just desperate to get some 'exclusive' news.

;), who was their source?

why would they hide it from the financial reports??

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

>It won't show up in the books. These deals are not cash transactions. They waive licensing fees. So basically TW is getting a huge discount on licensing and won't have to pay very much for a long while.

if that is true, and we don't know.

then it's not a cash payout, I mean, if Blu-Ray were to lose, there wouldn't be much money collected.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

>why would they hide it from the financial reports??

Do you see it in their financial report? 400 million isn't a small number, even for Sony

selnor
Episode 2:
PooperScooper said:

Girl Gamer Elite said:

Because there is no way any aspect of reality could ever be negative for Sony, clearly anyone who voices a fact or opinion about Sony that isn't at least neutral is obviously a fiend with hidden agendas, lol.

well if you don't like my pizza idea i know a nice Italian restaurant.

I know your nickname is PooperScooper, but repeating a joke too many times becomes annoying and childish, even when it was funny to begin with (which was not in this thread).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957