By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Report: Sony Paid $400 million for Warner Bros' Blu-Ray move

This is awesome! Sony was finally fed up with MS delaying the war so they did something about it. Sure enough, it caused the end of HD-DVD. Props to Sony. Now lets see what they can do about Nintendo's Wii. :)

Around the Network

This rumor came up the same day Warner announced their decision. It was debunked later that day. I'm surprised it's taken this long for that paper to notice it - but even more surprised that they'd run a story on it when all they have is unsubstantiated rumor.

Yeah, didn't you guys here about this rumor a few months ago? Its not like any new information appeared, somebody just decided to write about it again.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

FishyJoe said:
It won't show up in the books. These deals are not cash transactions. They waive licensing fees. So basically TW is getting a huge discount on licensing and won't have to pay very much for a long while.

I am glad someone is paying attention. 400 million  is probably just an estimate of what the discount in liscensing fees is worth over the life of the format.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

lol.

There are over 250 companies in the BDA, yet Sony is the only one that paid them off... this thread, and the OP fail.

The reason why this obviously isn't true, is like I said, Sony is only one of 250 companies in the BDA. They all have vested interests in Blu-ray winning. Whether or not all of the companies pooled together this money or not, we really don't know. But like I say again and again. Sony is not the only creater/backer of Blu-Ray, just one of the nine founding members.

GGE & FishyJoe

pwned.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sceptic about this news, but I guess we will know for sure, when WB releases their financial report for that quarter.

NJ5 said:
PooperScooper said:

Girl Gamer Elite said:

Because there is no way any aspect of reality could ever be negative for Sony, clearly anyone who voices a fact or opinion about Sony that isn't at least neutral is obviously a fiend with hidden agendas, lol.

well if you don't like my pizza idea i know a nice Italian restaurant.

I know your nickname is PooperScooper, but repeating a joke too many times becomes annoying and childish, even when it was funny to begin with (which was not in this thread).

I dunno, I chuckled :) Twice in fact xD. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Aw NJ5 don't be mad. You can join along too.

Not OFFICIAL.
Specuations ONLY.
Whatever. Blu-ray FTW! =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
OFFICIAL.
NO Specuations.
Whatever. Redundant format FTW! =))

Fixed.