By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is more arrogant / stupid, Sony 2006-7 or MS 2013-14?

Which?

Microsoft 2013-2014 326 66.13%

Sony 2006-2007 166 33.67%

Total:492
Machiavellian said:
soulfly666 said:

Sony was more arrogant in 06, but what MS tried to do this current gen was much more stupid. The pre-180 plans that they wanted to force on gamers were unethical. They would have totally and completely tanked if they had gone forward with it. I seriously think they would maybe be hitting 1/3 their current sales had they not 180'd. And that is a maybe.

I am actually interest to understand what was unethical about MS pre-release plans.  Are you taking about the DRM part.  If so could you explain what was unethical about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine
MS tried to eliminate the right of first sale by turning physical copies into install discs that automatically get tied to an account.
Then they promised you could still sell your physical game discs, yet only through select approved retailers.

Around the Network

The same

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:
RolStoppable said:
At a first glance, there is no clear winner here. But giving it a second thought, Sony issued those statements from a position of dominance whereas Microsoft is doing so from the position of an also-ran. Therefore the level of arrogance is higher in Microsoft's case.

sums it up perfectly.   i've never understood why a product that is in a tight race for last place could generate such arrogance.

You posted the answer yesterday (well, at least I saw that post yesterday). It was a picture.

this one?

Other one was an overpriced piece of tech that was very hard to work with.

Other managed to make all features seem as negative as possible to the media and gaming populace, launching weaker specced machine for more expensive price and still being harder to work with with esram.

I'm gonna vote for MS in this poll

ithis said:
Quotes people, we need quotes.

God there's so many.

MS PR (2013-2014):

"Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an "always on" console. Every device is "always on" That's the world we live in #dealwithit".

"We have a box for people who can't get connectivity, it's called the Xbox 360".

"There is no way we're giving a 30% advantage to Sony".

"We're in it for the long haul. Kinect is absolutely integral to Xbox One".

"I mean we're really not going to change anything we've done with Xbox One". (4 days before the 180).

"We're confident that gamers are going to love our vision of the future".

Sony PR: (2006-2007)

"We don't care about them" ( the competition)

"The PS3 is a computer, we do not need a PC." 

"Nobody will ever use 100% of PS3's capability"

"It's probably too cheap"

"If you can find a PS3 in NA that's been on shelves for more than 5 mins I'll give you 1200 bucks for it"

"For consumers to think to themselves, I will work more hours to buy one. We want people to want it, irrespective of anything else." (misquoted to hell)

"A bit pricey" (talking about the Wii)

"Riiiiiiiiiiidge Racer!"

I think Sony takes the cake for more amusing lines. A huge amount of them can be attributed to Phil Harrison. Looking back, he was talking utter nonsense for a good 3 years. MS would do well to keep him away from interviews.

Also, rather interestingly:.

"I wish they [Microsoft] would come up with some strategies of their own, but they seem to be going down the path of everything we do" - Kaz Hirai (2006)

Oddly prophetic considering MS's recent troubles.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:

this one?

Obviously this one.

the other one is prettier.  i much prefer it actually.

Azerth said:
Sony was. Ms has acted faster to change what they did while it took Sony a lot longer to do anything

Considering the following facts I think that claim is invalid:

PS3 price cut took approximately a year, from 500 to 400, there was a 599 model but also a 499$ model release at the same time.

X1 price cut took approximately half a year from 500 to 400.

However, the X1 teardown reveals that it costs 470-480 to produce with the kinect, the PS3 cost 800$ to produce.

Therefore, Sony had the retail cost at 400$ less then the manufacturing price vs 100$ less then manufacturing price in half the time, 200$ vs 100$ in the same time period.

Not to mention, BC and the Cell were a lot more of a commitment then the Kinect, which was launched as a nonessential peripheral.

Furthermore, Sony had no idea what would happen in the future, while MS has the benefit of hindsight.

So thats not a valid reason because of the different contexts.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Sony 06:
Blu-ray is so awesome, people will take a second job to buy a ps3 and get a blu-ray player $400 cheaper than a standalone one.
Cell is the future, ofcourse developers will be happy to learn how to program efficiently for this akward setup for gaming.

MS '13:
Everyone has internet, always online, all digital is perfect, But we'll still allow some install discs for people with slow internet. And we'll think about a complicated scheme to sell them onwards.
Kinect is so cool, everyone wants to talk to and wave at their console. Nobody will mind a bit weaker hardware and a higher price for this awesomeness.
TV, Skype, sports are the future, but it also plays games!

Both: Our hardcore fanbase will buy our console in droves regardless.

MS was more arrogant in '13.
Sony was more stupid in '06

Sony could not ditch blu-ray or the cell and lost a ton of money.
MS has reversed most of their bad decisions, apart from the weaker hardware.

Sony fanboys now: They pretend Sony is dominating the world when in truth they are almost dead.

SvennoJ said:
Machiavellian said:
soulfly666 said:

Sony was more arrogant in 06, but what MS tried to do this current gen was much more stupid. The pre-180 plans that they wanted to force on gamers were unethical. They would have totally and completely tanked if they had gone forward with it. I seriously think they would maybe be hitting 1/3 their current sales had they not 180'd. And that is a maybe.

I am actually interest to understand what was unethical about MS pre-release plans.  Are you taking about the DRM part.  If so could you explain what was unethical about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine
MS tried to eliminate the right of first sale by turning physical copies into install discs that automatically get tied to an account.
Then they promised you could still sell your physical game discs, yet only through select approved retailers.

MS did not try to eliminate first sales rights because they were the only company that would allow you to sell, trade, gift and loan your digital copy of a game.  Currently right now, No digital retailer allows you to do any of those things with a digital game.  I do not see people calling any of the digital retails as being unetical.  The approved retailer part was there because things would need to be authenticated over MS network to make it happen which means installing such capability with the retail market.

The whole 24 hour checkin was put in place because of MS trying to allow all of the things I mentioned at retail.  You would not need a 24 hour check in for digital distribution.  You do need something in place where a consumer will purchase the digital game from lets say GameStop.  Install the game on their X1, then take the same game back to the shop for trade in or sell while still able to play the game.

MS big problem with their original goal was their message and not having everything already setup for launch.  I believe this is where Sony caught MS with their pants down when they announce the PS4.  MS did not have all of the agreements and software ready.  All of this stuff did not come out until well after their reveal and it was clouded by to many half assed reports from different blogs.  MS never had a consistant place to get info nor did they release that info in a structured way to make sure everyone understood their plan.  I am not saying that they would not have had to reverse those plans as I believe they would, its just that they did not communicate it right and the net rage was to strong to overcome anyway.