By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3 so are less inclined to upgrade - one of Yusuf Mehdi's opinions on sales gap

Why is the PS4 outselling the Xbox One? Microsoft weighs in

Yusuf Mehdi says, "They're in 40+ markets, we're in 13," and claims Xbox 360 owners are enjoying the systems so much they are less inclined to upgrade.

With more than 7 million units sold to date, Sony's PlayStation 4 is the top-selling new console, ahead of Microsoft's Xbox One, which has shipped (not sold) 5 million units to date. In an interview with Forbes, Microsoft chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi laid out some reasons why his console is lagging behind, at least right now.

"It's hard to really assess the gap in sales," Mehdi said. "[Sony is] in many more markets right now than we are. They're in 40+ markets, we're in 13." The PS4 won't have a such a dramatic regional availability advantage for much longer, as the Xbox One will be released in Japan and 25 other regions in September.

Another reason why the Xbox One has fallen behind the PS4 in terms of sales so far is because, according to Mehdi, Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

"People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short-term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360," Mehdi said. "We could point to any number of things."

Addressing the impact the Xbox One's new $399 price point could have on the platform's viability going forward, Mehdi said the new price "broadens the appeal and hopefully brings more people to Xbox One sooner." He acknowledged that the original $499 price point was too steep an asking price for some gamers.

For more on this week's major Microsoft news, be sure to read GameSpot's staff editorial about how the Xbox One's new $399 price point will affect the ongoing console war.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-is-the-ps4-outselling-the-xbox-one-microsoft-weighs-in/1100-6419622/

Around the Network

Wow...
And I almost believed they had changed.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

100% agree. Playing Titanfall every chance I get and enjoying my free games for gold (downloading Saints Row 3 in a couple days which I never played).

2015 when Halo 5 comes out might be a great time to upgrade.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Shots Fired?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

O SNAP, the return fire has finally been launched

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Microsoft...

Well, if people hate their PS3s so much, why did their campaign for trading in PS3s for credit towards Xbox Ones fail magnificently?

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Wow...
And I almost believed they had changed.

They can't exactly issue a gag order for all employees except Phil Spencer and major Nelson.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Shots Fired?

Definetly, rather than talking sh1t they should make sure they're own shit doesn't stink.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

This is the type of baseless argument I would expect from an internet fanboy, not the chief marketing officer of a multi-billion dollar corporation.

VanceIX said:
Microsoft...

Well, if people hate their PS3s so much, why did their campaign for trading in PS3s for credit towards Xbox Ones fail magnificently?

Well PS3 doesn't have any buzz worthy games  like Titanfall releasing this year. There really is less incentive to keep playing it then X1.