By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Watch Dogs: 900p PS4, 792p X1, both 30fps

Justagamer said:
Zekkyou said:

Where, in this entire 150+ post thread, has a single person described the difference between 900p and 792p as huge? :/ Because otherwise i really don't get the point in you saying that...

It's a pretty large difference resource wise (assuming both run at an identical frame rate), but visually the difference between them can be adequately described as "noticeable but nothing at all major".

Well, there is a post by someone, I'll let you find it, that said, this is another blow to the x1.... The blow being 900p vs 792p... If I need to find it for you, well, I won't, you can can do that yourself. It's there. So there ya go!

So you made a mocking statement towards a type of comment no one made... Uhhuuuu....

There is nothing wrong with someone simply saying it's another blow to the X1. The X1 is already perceived as being under powered compared to the PS4, the last thing it needs is another major AAA release performing better on its competitor. It could be 890p vs 900p, the end result to the average consumer is still "Oh, PS4 > X1 again."

Considering the general awareness of the title in question, i'd say it's a pretty damn big PR blow to MS.

Around the Network

Infamous proved that Ubisoft is lame in dev ( like we already knew + the fact it's a cross gen game doesnt help, people judging consoles on cross gen games surely live their first generation)

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Zekkyou said:
Justagamer said:
Zekkyou said:

Where, in this entire 150+ post thread, has a single person described the difference between 900p and 792p as huge? :/ Because otherwise i really don't get the point in you saying that...

It's a pretty large difference resource wise (assuming both run at an identical frame rate), but visually the difference between them can be adequately described as "noticeable but nothing at all major".

Well, there is a post by someone, I'll let you find it, that said, this is another blow to the x1.... The blow being 900p vs 792p... If I need to find it for you, well, I won't, you can can do that yourself. It's there. So there ya go!

So you made a mocking statement towards a type of comment no one made... Uhhuuuu....

There is nothing wrong with someone simply saying it's another blow to the X1. The X1 is already perceived as being under powered compared to the PS4, the last thing it needs is another major AAA release performing better on its competitor. It could be 890p vs 900p, the end result to the average consumer is still "Oh, PS4 > X1 again."

Considering the general awareness of the title in question, i'd say it's a pretty damn big PR blow to MS.

You can say no one said it, but then what are they talking about? The resolution difference of 900p vs 792p. If they're referencing something else, then, what is it? Point is, the difference between them is marginal, at best. Yes the ps4 is more powerful. But that's not the topic of this thread, now is it? The topic is the resolution. And for it to be a "blow" that implies something big, which this is not.1080p vs 792p would be a blow. Not this. Go nitpick something else.

Sal.Paradise said:
Omg, look at them valiantly trying to avoid 720p.

30fps for an open world game is more than fine, btw. I don't want to sacrifice draw distance and peds/vehicles for a higher framerate.

Maybe they use 792p because it helps smooth out jaggies and is less resources intensive than using other effects. I doubt they're doing this just to boast.

Assuming its 1408x792 like Titanfall, that's 18% more pixels than 720p.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

The PC version smashes Second Son so I'm really curious to see how it is actually going to look on consoles. From what I've seen Second Son will probably still be the better looking game on PS4 though.

Porcupeth said:
setsunatenshi said:

If you are being honest, we clearly have very distinct visual standards. At least concede that you would never pick the visual inferior version if you had the chance to get the better one, all other things being equal.

If you can admit that much I think we can leave it at that :)

I don't know why you bother. Last gen 720p vs 704p and differences of 3-4fps average, in favor of 360, was a big deal. This gen 1080 vs 720, 1080 vs 900, 900 vs 792, framerate differences of anything from 5 to 20-25 are "marginal", etc.

You know why certain people would say something as incorrect as that, so you should also know that saying anything about it isn't going to change their speech. Not unless they change platforms.

Those were some fun times/debates.  Too bad you can't debate them, anymore, as those same people developed VERY poor eyesight as this gen started. 

Thank god for the delay! If it would have released last November it would have been like playing a slide show.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Wagram said:
Honestly, the only 60fps you'll see at 1080p is likely on PC. Neither of these machines have the hardware potential that the manufacturers think they do.

So you don't expect 1080p 60fps in the future of this gen ?

Justagamer said:
Zekkyou said:

You can say no one said it, but then what are they talking about? The resolution difference of 900p vs 792p. If they're referencing something else, then, what is it? Point is, the difference between them is marginal, at best. Yes the ps4 is more powerful. But that's not the topic of this thread, now is it? The topic is the resolution. And for it to be a "blow" that implies something big, which this is not.1080p vs 792p would be a blow. Not this. Go nitpick something else.

From a PR perspective being once again beaten by your competitor in an area you've already been repeatedly criticized for is always a blow, it reinforces those criticisms against you.

The average consumer doesn't know the specific difference between two resolutions. Most only understand the general idea that more is better. All they see is that the PS4 has beaten the X1 again. It could be 720p vs 1080p, 900p vs 792p, 890p vs 900p. The result in their eyes remains consistent: PS4 > X1.

No where does "a blow" suggest something big. A punch doesn't have to knock your teeth out to hurt. In this case the X1 has re-enforced the negative perception surrounding it thanks to the "supremacy" of their competitor. For that context "another blow to the X1" seems to fit fine.