By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY results: 3.7m PS3+PS4, 0.7m PSV+PSP. $1.246bn loss FY. GAME $80m loss for year. Expects another $0.5bn loss to March 2015

How on earth Games are making a loss?

Was to expecive to comission an extra 2mi unities from the previous contract?

Around the Network

I must say I'm more and more confident my prediction was spot on when using those PS3 estimates.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Dark_Feanor said:
How on earth Games are making a loss?

Was to expecive to comission an extra 2mi unities from the previous contract?

PS4 is probably sold at a loss, PS3 and Vita numbers are very low. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I'll just ask in here. Is NPD today or tomorrow?

RolStoppable said:
DerNebel said:

Tomorrow, it's always on Thursdays.

On topic: I am shocked that Sony as a whole posted such a big loss. They are in big trouble now. Perhaps they should sell off PlayStation to let it be in the hands of a company that can do its legacy justice.

Nintendo?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DerNebel said:

Tomorrow, it's always on Thursdays.

On topic: I am shocked that Sony as a whole posted such a big loss. They are in big trouble now. Perhaps they should sell off PlayStation to let it be in the hands of a company that can do its legacy justice.

Oh come on Rol :) I dont think theres anyone that can take better care of the PS brand than Sony themselves. But its quite obvious that Kaz isnt doing a great job, and ppl are complaining about Iwata.... pffft

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Are NPD numbers out yet?

binary solo said:
I hate this accounting shit. So operating income means positive cashflow for the year, but they made a big loss because other stuff strips out that positive cashflow or something?

Given I am really trying to simplify this to the best of my ability.  Operating Income means in the simplist sense, the income from the company operating day to day. 

For the simplist version it is (Sales) Revenue - Cost of Product (Cost of Goods Sold) = Gross Profit - Operating Expense = Operating Income

However a company isn't just something that operates to continue to exist. It has taxes, It has other expenses and other income sources and they do add up and they add up dramatically.  

(I think this is a good way to explain it, Kowen, wanna take a better shot at it?)

Proclus said:
Playstation Portable platforms are positively screwed at the moment...

And that's yet another huge loss, which sucker keeps poring money into Sony?

As long as people keep buying games for the Vita, it'll continue to get games.

kowenicki said:
Acevil said:
binary solo said:
I hate this accounting shit. So operating income means positive cashflow for the year, but they made a big loss because other stuff strips out that positive cashflow or something?

Given I am really trying to simplify this to the best of my ability.  Operating Income means in the simplist sense, the income from the company operating day to day. 

For the simplist version it is (Sales) Revenue - Cost of Product (Cost of Goods Sold) = Gross Profit - Operating Expense = Operating Expense Income

However a company isn't just something that operates to continue to exist. It has taxes, It has other expenses and other income sources and they do add up and they add up dramatically.  

(I think this is a good way to explain it, Kowen, wanna take a better shot at it?)

Thats a reasonable summary for someone wanting the basics.

Operating Income (or Earning before interest and Tax) is revenue less cost of sales, salaries and all other expenses accrued in generating that revenue.

Oh ya I wrote operating expense twice...dooh, let me fix that.