By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY results: 3.7m PS3+PS4, 0.7m PSV+PSP. $1.246bn loss FY. GAME $80m loss for year. Expects another $0.5bn loss to March 2015

Lawlight said:
Kasz216 said:
kowenicki said:
kumagawa said:
If Sony's in such bad shape why has there cash position got better?

Cash and cash equivalents
December 31st 2013 - $8,088 billion
March 31st 2014 $10,160 billion

That's enough cash for 15 quarters of losses equal to this one.

Ahh, whats known here as the Nintendo defense.  Thats not how it works I'm afraid.

Eh, the big difference is that Nintendo has no real debt.

Nintendo also has nowhere to go from here unless they drastically start to invest in other industries.

Which they are... I just hope it won't affect their gaming business. And I'm not sure QoL is a smart move. A better move would have been to evovle more into an entertainment company, producing TV-series (a la Pokémon) and movies. Maybe even making toys??

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

Playstation Portable platforms are positively screwed at the moment...

And that's yet another huge loss, which sucker keeps poring money into Sony?

lucidium said:
kowenicki said:

Yaah and its weak.

I have been doing these quarterly threads here for years for all 3 companies.  Recently Ethomaz took this one over as he has an interest in Sony, Vinnie does the Nintendo one now.  But Etho is banned and up to two days ago nobody had started one.  So I did.

I assume you would prefer this thread never existed for some very, very odd (but obvious) reason?

You read too much in to it (for obvious reasons).

I simply thought, "I'd bet it's a kowen thread", clicked, and it was, so commented as such.

Cut the bullshit. He didn't read too much into it.

He read  it exactly how anyone else would have read those little vague passive-aggressive posts you made.

Play4Fun said:

Cut the bullshit. He didn't read too much into it.

He read  it exactly how anyone else would have read those little vague passive-aggressive posts you made.

Relax your girlfriend can defend himself.

Banned - Kantor

I thought they would ship much more. Suprised the games division posted a loss. Maybe marketing contributed or maybe they are selling the PS4 at a loss. 
Bad results again for almost everything unfortunately, and unexpected targets that will not be met again next year. This company needs to downsize and get rid of many divisions soon. The exchange rate is favoring them and they are still doing badly. Hirai needs to be fired since the company is still in a bad position even after all these years of him being in charge.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
think-man said:
kowenicki said:
kumagawa said:

Ahh, whats known here as the Nintendo defense.  Thats not how it works I'm afraid.

Can you explain, I'm a novice.

If a company, a listed company, had $10bn of cash then they wouldnt last 10 years losing $1bn per year.  Its not that simple.

Oh yeah I do see Nintendo people saying that alot.

Lawlight said:
Kasz216 said:
kowenicki said:
kumagawa said:

Eh, the big difference is that Nintendo has no real debt.

Nintendo also has nowhere to go from here unless they drastically start to invest in other industries.

Which they have the money to do.

If all pay was equal, I'd take Iwata's job over Kaz's anyday.  Way more freedom, flexability and options.

If you were CEO of Nintendo you could take them in practically any direction, just through aquisitions.

Much better spot then having to slash and restructure.

Personally I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't aquire a nice company that provides solid profits and revenues to act as a hedge for the more volatile videogame industry.

They need they're own version of Sony Financial.  Just as a bigger part of the company percentage wise compaired to Sony.

Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say PS3 is still behind Xbox 360, which has 83m+ shipped. I think 83.78m

I hate this accounting shit. So operating income means positive cashflow for the year, but they made a big loss because other stuff strips out that positive cashflow or something?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

kowenicki said:
jlmurph2 said:
Yeah I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say PS3 is still behind Xbox 360, which has 83m+ shipped

I think thats a certainty.

Which is weird that VGChartz didn't adjust those numbers yet. It's giving people false hope of PS3 actually being ahead.