By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY results: 3.7m PS3+PS4, 0.7m PSV+PSP. $1.246bn loss FY. GAME $80m loss for year. Expects another $0.5bn loss to March 2015

I have two major observations:
Game division will probably be profitable next FY
Sony Pictures might not do as well as it could have with Spiderman 2 not doing great (and will get stomped all over the place by Godzilla and X-Men will kill it right off).

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

Sales in the game division are up 38%. Considering that the launch cost of the ps4 and a $60m write off of some PC software are included in the losses of the game division, I expect better results next year.

*facepalm*

Sony needs to do better than this if they want to sustain themselves ... Expecting another loss for next year is pretty sad. Sony needs to reshuffle their management again.

It's sad that such a great company is dying, but part of it is their fault for not adapting.

This is all guesswork but with 3.7m PS3+PS4 vs 1.2m XB1 and .8m X360. MS said they may slow down or stop XB1 production for awhile but even so the shipping gap is probably at least 2m. And PS3 sales are dropping and being replaced with PS4s in stock instead. Could be something as serious as:
3.2m PS4
.5m PS3

That leaves XB1 total shipped 5.1m, and PS4 at 7.4m+.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
This is all guesswork but with 3.7m PS3+PS4 vs 1.2m XB1 and .8m X360. MS said they may slow down or stop XB1 production for awhile but even so the shipping gap is probably at least 2m. And PS3 sales are dropping and being replaced with PS4s in stock instead. Could be something as serious as:
3.2m PS4
.5m PS3

I'd say that seems pretty plausable, and in line with what VGC has predicted.

I'm almost tempted to say that SONY should reconstruct and become an entertainment company altogether; Pictures and Music is two out of three sectors that's profitable, and Games will most likely post profits next year. Keep those three divisions and the Financials and cut the other ones...

EDIT: Well, Pictures and Music is 2 out 4 sectors that's profitable. What's IP&S? I guess they should keep that division as well

kowenicki said:
Farsala said:
3.2m PS4
.5m PS3

So you think the PS4 had approx 0.5m supply at end of March? 

I'd say 7.1m max shipped PS4 by end of March.

It seems incongruous to suggest the PS3 shipped just over half of  the 360 when supply of the 360 was higher last quarter and the PS3 is apparently sellling more.

The main thing I am assuming is that retailers ordered too much PS3 stock from the holidays and sales have dropped leaving sufficient stock for them to ship a low amount of PS3s. NPD shows 360 outselling the PS3 in US last quarter and Japan PS3 sales are not too impressive. Would be nice for some Nintendo charts though.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13q4_sony.pdf

The full earnings report for any body interested.
I'm surprised TV sales are up almost 30% its just a shame about the losses in that division, though they still continue to decrease the operating losses.

kowenicki said:
Farsala said:
kowenicki said:
Farsala said:
3.2m PS4
.5m PS3

So you think the PS4 had approx 0.5m supply at end of March? 

I'd say 7.1m max shipped PS4 by end of March.

It seems incongruous to suggest the PS3 shipped just over half of  the 360 when supply of the 360 was higher last quarter and the PS3 is apparently sellling more.

The main thing I am assuming is that retailers ordered too much PS3 stock from the holidays and sales have dropped leaving sufficient stock for them to ship a low amount of PS3s. NPD shows 360 outselling the PS3 in US last quarter and Japan PS3 sales are not too impressive. Would be nice for some Nintendo charts though.

If this is true then I'd say the 360 is about 1m ahead of the PS3 as of end of March.

Definitely possible, but Sony makes it difficult with combined PS2+PS3 and PS3+PS4.