By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much Sony pays Indies to be free on PS+ and more

Mike_L said:
DM235 said:
Everything you said seems to point to DayZ.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-13-dean-hall-in-talks-to-bring-dayz-standalone-to-ps4

I wondered if it could be DayZ but I just think it would be too obvious and OP would be in trouble for literally telling us what game it was. Successful early access game on Steam with a movie adaption in the works just screams DayZ.

I gotta go with Rust because Mojang wouldn't sell Minecraft for $500k? The rumored movie adaption fits with Minecraft though.. ARRG!

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/minecraft-movie-warner-bros-lego-movie-producer/

I did some further research, and it looks like neither one of those matches the OPs description, saying that the dev made roughly $700K through early access.  It looks like both Dayz and Rust have made much more than that.

Around the Network
Madword said:
I don't want to be the party pooper here, but if you were really a friend of the developer you wouldn't/shouldnt be talking about this in public.

As any devs here will know, talking about anything that is Non Disclosure/contracts could actually lose him the business, and even if he's signed (which is sounds like he hasn't yet), could also mean he loses business.

To me if I was being offered a large amount, i would not want some "Friend" telling people on the internet about it... it could damage their business.

I'm realizing that you're probably right. I simply wanted to give some info in this thread about how PS+ works. I was just excited for my friend.

Richard_Feynman said:
Madword said:
I don't want to be the party pooper here, but if you were really a friend of the developer you wouldn't/shouldnt be talking about this in public.

As any devs here will know, talking about anything that is Non Disclosure/contracts could actually lose him the business, and even if he's signed (which is sounds like he hasn't yet), could also mean he loses business.

To me if I was being offered a large amount, i would not want some "Friend" telling people on the internet about it... it could damage their business.

I'm realizing that you're probably right. I simply wanted to give some info in this thread about how PS+ works. I was just excited for my friend.

Hey dont get me wrong, I appreciate the information (which I am sure others are)... especially as it's something I would like to do in the future. But yeah, you just have to be careful :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Richard_Feynman said:
Madword said:

I recommend dropping this. Pretty sure some of this stuff is under NDA and you could get your friend into trouble if someone connects all the dot.

veritaz said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

(I am not insinuating at all that their game will be even a fraction as big as Minecraft)

Sony's scouts are obviously aware of much more than you are. And in this case so am I. I've seen the steam early access sales. I've seen the competition awards. And I've seen the Beta reviews by big sites like Eurogamer praising the hell out of it.

But all of this ON TOPIC stuff aside, you are trolling Sony here and this is not the place to do it.

I'm not trying to put down or underestimate the value of indie developers. I'm pointing out that Sony, as a company, cannot afford to money-hat uncertain projects. The Playstation division is only profitable by just a few million. It's certainly not enough to help Sony as a whole - which is losing billions upon billions of dollars each year. If anything, the tiny profits gained from the Playstation division need to go toward helping Sony as a whole, don't you think?

You seem to point that out a lot, it's hard to miss. Nintendo hasn't posted a profit in a while either while doing just games and being much smaller than Sony. 

Meanwhile, Nintendo is worth more than Sony while just doing games.

Around the Network
QuintonMcLeod said:
veritaz said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

(I am not insinuating at all that their game will be even a fraction as big as Minecraft)

Sony's scouts are obviously aware of much more than you are. And in this case so am I. I've seen the steam early access sales. I've seen the competition awards. And I've seen the Beta reviews by big sites like Eurogamer praising the hell out of it.

But all of this ON TOPIC stuff aside, you are trolling Sony here and this is not the place to do it.

I'm not trying to put down or underestimate the value of indie developers. I'm pointing out that Sony, as a company, cannot afford to money-hat uncertain projects. The Playstation division is only profitable by just a few million. It's certainly not enough to help Sony as a whole - which is losing billions upon billions of dollars each year. If anything, the tiny profits gained from the Playstation division need to go toward helping Sony as a whole, don't you think?

You seem to point that out a lot, it's hard to miss. Nintendo hasn't posted a profit in a while either while doing just games and being much smaller than Sony. 

And yet Sony has assets worth way more than Nintendo. I don't know why you're trying to continue this, but I'm not surprised from your post history. 

veritaz said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
veritaz said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

And yet Sony has assets worth way more than Nintendo. I don't know why you're trying to continue this, but I'm not surprised from your post history. 

No they don't. This is why Nintendo is considered worth more than Sony. If Sony had assets worth more than Nintendo, then Sony would be worth more than Nintendo. I mean, that's how a company's worth is factored. 

Wait... You didn't honestly think I was talking about which company had more money in the bank, were you? Sony has no money in the bank because they are in debt. That leaves Sony's assets (which they are already selling if you haven't noticed). 

In the famous words of Satoru Iwata - "Please understand."

veritaz said: And yet Sony has assets worth way more than Nintendo. I don't know why you're trying to continue this, but I'm not surprised from your post history. 

No they don't. This is why Nintendo is considered worth more than Sony. If Sony had assets worth more than Nintendo, then Sony would be worth more than Nintendo. I mean, that's how a company's worth is factored. 

Wait... You didn't honestly think I was talking about which company had more money in the bank, were you? Sony has no money in the bank because they are in debt. That leaves Sony's assets (which they are already selling if you haven't noticed). 

In the famous words of Satoru Iwata - "Please understand."

I see you are still riding the Sony financial doom train trying to downplay everything Playstation related. Nintendo is not worth more than Sony, check again. The market cap, stocks, cash on hand and assets is all in favor of Sony. You have an agenda, I can see that and no amount of talking with someone like you will change that. You will spin and straight up lie so I'm going to end this right here. Nintendo market cap is 16.62 billion with 5.34 billion cash on hand. They have 15.1 billion in assets but Sony has a market cap of 20.15 billion with 8.08 billion cash on hand. Not to mention they have 148.93 billion in assets. "Please understand" it's time to move on and figure some other way of downplaying Sony. 

Richard_Feynman said:

- They love the Vita. He says it's a real gamer's console. For people that aren't too caught up in AAA and love creative, fun games. Everyone is sad that it's not doing better.

100% agree with them.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
Richard_Feynman said:

- They love the Vita. He says it's a real gamer's console. For people that aren't too caught up in AAA and love creative, fun games. Everyone is sad that it's not doing better.

100% agree with them.

Those games are great and all but a gamer needs a balanced diet. It needs both AAA and those creative, fun games. Only real  big game I'm looking forward to on Vita right now is Gravity Rush 2. I could use a few more :(