By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much Sony pays Indies to be free on PS+ and more

Richard_Feynman said:
MoHasanie said:
$500k isn't that much if they have to split it up among a team of 5-7 people. Its a very large amount but its hard to believe Sony would pay that much to an Indie developer.
Also Computer Science majors hardly ever make $30-40k a month.

There's probably an extra zero there.

3-4k is so less. That's like working earning minimum wages. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
The Fury said:
MoHasanie said:

No one makes that a month but sport stars.

Its not uncommon for doctors to earn that much. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
Richard_Feynman said:
MoHasanie said:
$500k isn't that much if they have to split it up among a team of 5-7 people. Its a very large amount but its hard to believe Sony would pay that much to an Indie developer.

There's probably an extra zero there.

Not where I live. $4k a month is enough to live very high. Salary cap is around $5k here. Only executives and very skilled people earn more.

The Forest would be sweet as well but the early access isn't out yet (May 22).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9mr4k9X6c8

One user said in this thread he believes the game is called Broforce, so thats what I was reffering to.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:

damn I think I should immigrate to your country ? canada it is ?

here in germany the minimum wages AFTER the new law which we might get in the next 4 years would be around 1000€.
right now its way below that.

also we have to pay way more for our products than you do (20-30%)

but thats not the norm. 'usual' workers earn ~ 2-3k here. so 3-4k is not that bad at all, but you are not rich either.

Sony handling everything? Doubt that, sorry. Would be nice if true but discussing makes no sense without any further proof and it sounds fishy.

larasactua said:
One user said in this thread he believes the game is called Broforce, so thats what I was reffering to.

500k for sprite-old-school game? I find it hard to believe.

I've heard about developers giving their game on ps+ for free for the exposure they get, so I seriously doubt they would offer 500k and even consider paying 700k for an indie game. There is no way they are making enough money from subscriptions alone, especially since they don't get £40 for every one-year subscription. There are tons of deals that offer it for much cheaper, so they must be making less than that.

Also, if you read any comments from any site that announces the ps+ games, there are always tons of people complaining about "indie crap" and only praise the AAA games offered. Whenever there is a poll, people always choose the AAA game over indie. So, I see no reason for Sony to pay that much money, since I doubt they would convince anyone to buy ps+ for an indie game, while games like DMC and the latest Bioshock are a completely different story.

Well, I'll comment on the financial aspects some other time, right now I'm just upset that it seems that our PS+ subscription will keep on giving us indie games well into 2015. I have hoped that by that time Sony would move onto some 12-18 month old AAA games, instead of an umpteenth 8bit pixel jumble or another "unique" puzzle platformer.