By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much Sony pays Indies to be free on PS+ and more

I know there are insiders all over the place, but I've got some info for you guys...

Unfortunately I can't disclose what the game is because my name will be in the credits and I like being anonymous. My friend works at a small Indie studio that's been approached by Sony. *Emphasis* These guys are PC gamers through and through and hold no sentiments towards anyone regarding the console war.

- Sony offered them $500 000 to be free on PS+ for a month. They are going to try and push it up to $700k. They've already made roughly that much through Steam early access.

- Sony has been extremely welcoming and friendly towards them. They are porting it for free. They are paying for exposure. The game will be in Sony's E3 montage this year. (it's only coming out next year though)

- Sony wants it on PS4 and Vita. Once again, these guys are happy because they don't have to do anything at all. Sony's handling everything.

- I asked him about XOne and he said that it doesn't exist to Indies because of the parity clause and MS doing literally nothing to approach anyone. He says a parity clause makes it almost impossible for an Indie studio because they could get sued over small little things that might differ on different platforms and these are extremely difficult and time consuming for Indies.

- They love the Vita. He says it's a real gamer's console. For people that aren't too caught up in AAA and love creative, fun games. Everyone is sad that it's not doing better.

- He showed me an email from a guy at Sony (sorry forgot who it was) that said that there game was the best thing he ever saw! A lot of good vibes in the community.

I hope you find that interesting. It's all true, but I know the internet is full of crazy people so I don't blame you if you think I'm just looking for attention. Keep an eye on next year June's PS+ offerings ;)

Around the Network

I don't believe anything video game insiders say without concrete proof so...

$500k? And Sony is doing the port? Damn, I need to make a successful indie game :D

As if I didn't have enough of drawing Feynman diagrams for electromagnetic and weak interactions in my Nuclear and Particle Physics lecture course, now Richard Feynman is telling me about his friend making indie games. What has the world come to?

In any case, I'll try and keep an eye out on next year's June release. I'm actually quite surprised they're paying $500K for a month's Plus just for an indie game. Don't get me wrong, indie games are great but this really makes me wonder how much they pay for the AAA releases on PS3.

DerNebel said:
$500k? And Sony is doing the port? Damn, I need to make a successful indie game :D

They've been working on it for 18 months and it's a team of 7 (used to be 5). The costs add up big time. My friend is a Computer Science and Math major so he could easily earn $3k-4k per month, but he's doing this because it's his dream. Everyone earns between $1k and $2k per month. Add in all the computers and the office space etc. and you realise that it's quite an investment.

It's such a fun place. They all live in a big (very big!) house together and they work at least 10 hours a day. It's insane how dedicated they are! It's a lot of hard work.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
I'm calling bullshit until I see some proof, sorry pal, but like you say, the internet is full of crazy people who are looking for attention.

I don't know how to prove it? The money part of it is unprovable, so I'm left with proving that I'm best friends with the guy that works there. I could actually prove it, but then my identity is spoilt. So if a single user is willing to vouch for me then I can show you their official forums and who I am on there. Then I can email you with a copy of my ID to prove that the person on the forums is indeed me.

So I'll do that, but only for a single person. I'm sure no-one cares enough to go through the trouble...?

Richard_Feynman said:
DerNebel said:

They've been working on it for 18 months and it's a team of 7 (used to be 5). The costs add up big time. My friend is a Computer Science and Math major so he could easily earn $30k-40k per month, but he's doing this because it's his dream. Everyone earns between $1k and $2k per month. Add in all the computers and the office space etc. and you realise that it's quite an investment.

It's such a fun place. They all live in a big (very big!) house together and they work at least 10 hours a day. It's insane how dedicated they are! It's a lot of hard work.

Pffffffff. 7 people? Office space? Computers? I don't need that stuff.

I'll just do it by myself on my shitty laptop, how hard can it be, I just need an awesome idea...and maybe a book on game development, that's all.

UltimateUnknown said:

As if I didn't have enough of drawing Feynman diagrams for electromagnetic and weak interactions in my Nuclear and Particle Physics lecture course, now Richard Feynman is telling me about his friend making indie games. What has the world come to?

In any case, I'll try and keep an eye out on next year's June release. I'm actually quite surprised they're paying $500K for a month's Plus just for an indie game. Don't get me wrong, indie games are great but this really makes me wonder how much they pay for the AAA releases on PS3.

There's this really funny interview with Feynman where he told this story... He used to have Feynman diagrams all over his van (kinda artsy). Then one day at a gas station someone stopped next to him and asked why on earth there were Feynman diagrams all over his car. "Because I'm Richard Feynman!" he said. =D

They dont just up and give you 500k. They give a certain amount per downloads.
So as a made up figure, lets say $100 per 1000 downloads, assuming a million people download, thats like $100,000 (Emphasis on this being made up figure)
The dollar per certain number of downloads is never the same, is based on whether the game is new or has been out for a while etc.
So thats like $0.10 per download, lets say around 6 new games per month, so for each induviduals persons sub per month is 60 cents per user per month if they download all games, $7.2 per year from your $50 subscription.

So that is how Sony makes money from ps plus and how indies and other devs make decent amount of money, for indies 100k is usually good enough for their ps vita game for example, and lets estimate there are now 6 million ps plus users, 600k per game is possible (obviously once again made up figures but the system of how it works is correct)

PS+ is awesome. I doubt any company will "kiss and tell" when it comes to contracts/negotiations/deals etc. Unless it comes from Sonys mouth.