By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you think is the best case scenario for the Wii U?

Tagged games:

Depending on what Nintendo does with the pricing of the console...

20 - 30 million.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Except, you know, common sense. People want to play Mario Kart 8. They will buy the system for it. A reduced price tag and Kart/Smash will make it more appealing to the casual and family buyers.

Measuring Wii U's lifetime sales by its performance so far is like measuring PS3's lifetime sales by its 2006-2008 performance.

I think you need to go look at Ps3's sales then.

Wii U at the end of March 2013 6.17m.

Ps3 at end of March 2008 12.85m

Not only that but Ps3 wasn't released in Europe for 5 of those months unlike the Wii U. Also, Wii U will not last as long as the Ps3. Nor does the Wii U have as big of a problem that Ps3 had with price.

Max King of the Wild said:
curl-6 said:

Except, you know, common sense. People want to play Mario Kart 8. They will buy the system for it. A reduced price tag and Kart/Smash will make it more appealing to the casual and family buyers.

Measuring Wii U's lifetime sales by its performance so far is like measuring PS3's lifetime sales by its 2006-2008 performance.

I think you need to go look at Ps3's sales then.

Wii U at the end of March 2013 6.17m.

Ps3 at end of March 2008 12.85m

Not only that but Ps3 wasn't released in Europe for 5 of those months unlike the Wii U. Also, Wii U will not last as long as the Ps3. Nor does the Wii U have as big of a problem that Ps3 had with price.

Their relative sales are completely beside the point.

The point is, PS3 sales picked up after a slow start. The same will be true of Wii U.

curl-6 said:

The point is, PS3 sales picked up after a slow start. The same will be true of Wii U.

Ps3 was up YoY 22% in 08 from 07 with lots more stuff going for it than Wii U. You will see that what you are banking on will help the wii u' sales... but not much more than what nintendo expects.

And for shits and giggles, Wii U's forcast end March 2015 - 9.77m

Ps3 end of 2009 - 22.91m

curl-6 said:

Ps3 was up YoY 22% in 08 from 07 with lots more stuff going for it than Wii U. You will see that what you are banking on will help the wii u' sales... but not much more than what nintendo expects.

And for shits and giggles, Wii U's forcast end March 2015 - 9.77m

Ps3 end of 2009 - 22.91m

Obviously it's not going to suddenly turn into the Wii and sell nine figures lifetime, but it's best sales are ahead of it; to date its been too expensive for casual buyers or as a secondary console, and has lacked the system selling hardware. Another price cut before the holidays and Mario Kart + Smash Bros will fix that. In the ballpark of 20m isn't out of the question if they play their cards right.

Around the Network

Gamecube 14.57m at the same time.

Wii U will be tracking 33% below GC if it hits forecast. Now tell me how is it going to magically make up these units towards its end of life?

Gamecube 14.57m at the same time.

Wii U will be tracking 33% below GC if it hits forecast. Now tell me how is it going to magically make up these units towards its end of life?

Because GC was cheap and had Smash bros from the beginning; it was fast out of the gates, then lost steam. Wii U should be the opposite; slow start, accelerate once it gets cheaper and has the right games.

IF MK and SMB move consoles, it sees a price cut this year, Nintendo starts an advertising blitz, its third year sees sales quite higher than now and it has a relatively long life, there is the off chance of it reaching 20m.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

wish it could sell 40 million lifetime but doesn't seem likely (2 years ago I thought 40-50 million would've been worse case scenario for the follow up to the wii. Things have certainly changed).

I think 20-25 is more realistic the way things seem to be going right now. Nintendo needs a reboot.

40mil is outrageous.
30mil and thats IF its not selling like crap for the rest of its life starting now.