By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Nintendo possibly post a profit next fiscal year?

Nintendo is forecasting a profit of 200m next year and I'm not sure how that's going to happen. The WiiU is still selling terribly, and the 3DS continues to fall. I don't see them releasing their QOL platform this year so I'm not sure how they're going to be able turn this ship around in such a short timeframe. Are they expecting Smash Bros and Mario Kart to drive them to profitability? 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

They probably won't. I think they know that too. 

I think their best bet is for the fiscal year ending March 2016 (the next next fiscal year) ... if they can turn heavy profit margins from that QoL thing, they might have a shot at returning to profitability.

To be honest though another $200-$300 million dollar net loss isn't going to sink Nintendo by a long shot anyway. I'm sure they would like to make a profit next fiscal year, but it's not the end of the world if they don't. If QOL doesn't take off though I think that's it for Iwata. 

maybe they are expecting higher software sales for 3DS and WiiU?

also, they started licensing their IP's, so that will sure bring them some money.

bananaking21 said:

also, they started licensing their IP's, so that will sure bring them some money.

Mario Kart is being bundled for free, I'm sure the same thing will happen with Smash Bros. I don't think software sales is going to be enough this year to bring them to profitability. 

RolStoppable said:
All the Wii Us they are going to sell this fiscal year have already been produced during the last one.

Serious answer? They haven't announced anything about stopping production. 

Around the Network

Sounds like higher software sales will drive them back to profitability but I'm more than a little skeptical.

Fusioncode said:
bananaking21 said:

Mario Kart is being bundled for free, I'm sure the same thing will happen with Smash Bros. I don't think software sales is going to be enough this year to bring them to profitability. 

The $30 added to the MK bundle is basically MK8's profit margin. The Wii Wheel and Wiimote are really what you get "for free", but those probably cost Nintendo peanuts to make. 

kowenicki said:

So I can only assume they are to announce something else soon.

New leadership, hopefully.

And Mother 4.

A non-gamepad WiiU might be in the plans. It would bring in the fastest profits on the WiiU side.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

if there isnt a price cut on Wii U this year then it may start being sold at a profit this fiscal year or perhaps the $330 Mario Kart bundle is sold at a slight profit. That plus increased software sales must be what they are expecting.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.