By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - "The Big Lebowski" is one of the most overrated films of all time

Did you enjoy this movie?

Yes, and I'm relatively picky too 52 53.61%

Yes, but I'm not very picky 13 13.40%

In the past when standards were lower 1 1.03%

No, the movie is mediocre 10 10.31%

No, the movie is utter shit 8 8.25%

see results 12 12.37%

Total:96
Jay520 said:
LemonSlice said:
I'm not picky, but it's one of my favorite movies. Not sure what my selectiveness has got to do with that at all.

Did you read the OP? I'm curious if people love this movie because they enjoy most average movies, or if it's because they see something special in it. Based solely on my experience of the movie, I would expect it to be the former. And if it's the latter, then that would confuse me. Based on the poll, and my past experiences, it appears that the latter is true. Hence, I'm confused.

Yes, did you read the rest of my post?

Around the Network

Yeah, well, thats just, like, your opinion man...

I think it's overrated, but it's still 7-8/10 while blockbusters summer comedies are 3-4/10.

It definately has some memorable moments like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_VAfVhsvOA or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BdT5mFAk-Y

It's in my top 100, pretty good movie. I love the pacing, one of those movies you can sit back and relax, and get fully immersed in situations and the characters.

As a matter of fact it's a glaring gap in my blu-ray collection. Thanks to Amazon's what else you might like I just ended up buying The big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Fargo and Miller's crossing. $44 for 4 blu-rays not bad. Apparently they're having a Coen brother's sale, just doubled my Coen brothers blu-ray collection in 1 go.

I give it a decent, but I like most movies. Even bad ones.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
While I agree that the movie isn't great, I think it's unfair to compare it to an "average...summer blockbuster comedy." It's definitely smarter than that. I think the problem with the movie is one of pacing and story structure, but the direction, acting, and writing is definitely above average.

If you're looking for a great Coen brothers comedy, I highly recommend Raising Arizona.

Since it's hard to point to one tangible example of good acting or "direction", I'd like you to elaborate on the writing. Name some scenes that you thought had above-average writing.

I think the scenes with Jeff, Donny, and Walter are especially good and belie a subtle antagonism and co-dependence among the trio. Most of the best lines, however, are reserved for Bridges, whose equanimity in the face of physical injury, property damage, and manipulation really point to the raison d'être of the movie, which is all about attitude and tone, not plot.

To be clear, that's why I'm not a big fan of the movie. It's a little meandering and aimless, even if it's quirky, interesting, and stylish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loaQmsD5dqI

LemonSlice said:

Yes, did you read the rest of my post?

Yes, but it was too vague to motivate me to respond directly (though I was somewhat motivated to say how I fell asleep watching The American Hustle, but later decided not to). I asked if you read the OP because your lack of awareness of the relevance of your selectiveness implies that you did not read and/or understand the OP. The significance of selectiveness is clearly defined several times in the OP.

On a side note: I may change the title to " 'The Big Lebowskil' is one of the most overrated films of all time!" for ol' times sake. In fact, I've just decided to do this (I've made this decision as I write this sentence).

Jay520 said:
pikashoe said:
just look up the video that nostalgia critic did on it, he gives a good explanation as to why it is popular.

link?

I just dropped in, to see what condition this thread was in...

I can't quite put a finger on why I enjoyed The Big Lebowski. But I really, really enjoyed watched it.

Characters were broadly drawn yet had enough complexity to them that it didn't feel shallow
Comedy was at times subtle and at times in your face but always perfectly judged
Plot was a somewhat of a farce but a lot more well told
And the actors - particularly Jeff Bridges - turned in fantastic performances.

My favourite types of comedies are usually Zucker-esque parody movies (Airplane; Naked Gun; Clue; Rat Race) but Big Lebowski definitely ranks up there for me.