By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - "The Big Lebowski" is one of the most overrated films of all time

Did you enjoy this movie?

Yes, and I'm relatively picky too 52 53.61%

Yes, but I'm not very picky 13 13.40%

In the past when standards were lower 1 1.03%

No, the movie is mediocre 10 10.31%

No, the movie is utter shit 8 8.25%

see results 12 12.37%

Total:96

There's a few decent sections in the movie, but the overall movie isn't very good.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
super_etecoon said:
I honestly think you're thinking of this film in the wrong context...

It's not a comedy...
It's a surrealistic crime caper with comedic elements, mostly because of their irony.

Many say this is the "funniest movie ever."

Many of those people are also trendy. There's always going to be those people. They hype it up as something it's not...and they probably also forget some of the lulls in the laughs while the plot advances.

I'd say it's a pretty funny movie, but not the best Coen brothers movie. It's got cult status, and the interactions between the Dude, Walter, and Donnie are really the crux of the humor. If you don't like the three of them and how they work together (or don't) then you/re probably not going to find much of the movie very funny at all.

The film is very dark...that is, it's a dark comedy. Dark comedies make us laugh at things we wouldn't normally. And those kind of jokes also have a way of not landing, depending on your sensibilities.

At the OP...could you imagine having watched this movie in the theater when it first came out...with no hype? Do you think your impression might be different? Many of the readers here at VGC are old enough to have been there...so it does have a special place in our hearts for being just a little different than all the other crap they release every year.

Am i the only one who doesn't find the humor to be very dark? Only remotely dark thing is that the nihilist-girl cut off her own toe. The movie makes it seem like dark shit is going down, when in reality nothing of any importance is happening except the Big Lebowski embezzling from the Foundation.

An interesting point, i feel, is that nothing important happens. That's what got me more interested in the movie when i saw it the first time (before i started watching it again and getting a better grasp of the humor). Nothing leads much of anywhere, there is no closure, and that's really so more true to life than basically any storytelling media. Most of us lead normal lives, and while there may be some folks out there with an agenda, most of us are just drifting in between.

I'll agree that it certainly isn't as dark as Fargo, Shallow Grave, or Delicatessen...but it isn't Step Brothers.  Or Austin Powers.  There's a continuum for film and for genres, and this title certainly leans in the direction of dark comedy.  Just consider that you're laughing hysterically when Donnie's ashes end up in The Dude's beard, or when the nihilist throws the ferret into the bath tub.  I think there's an expectation from the director and the writer for you to laugh at things that otherwise would be terrifying or insanely depressing.

super_etecoon said:
Mr Khan said:
super_etecoon said:
I honestly think you're thinking of this film in the wrong context...

It's not a comedy...
It's a surrealistic crime caper with comedic elements, mostly because of their irony.

Many say this is the "funniest movie ever."

Many of those people are also trendy. There's always going to be those people. They hype it up as something it's not...and they probably also forget some of the lulls in the laughs while the plot advances.

I'd say it's a pretty funny movie, but not the best Coen brothers movie. It's got cult status, and the interactions between the Dude, Walter, and Donnie are really the crux of the humor. If you don't like the three of them and how they work together (or don't) then you/re probably not going to find much of the movie very funny at all.

The film is very dark...that is, it's a dark comedy. Dark comedies make us laugh at things we wouldn't normally. And those kind of jokes also have a way of not landing, depending on your sensibilities.

At the OP...could you imagine having watched this movie in the theater when it first came out...with no hype? Do you think your impression might be different? Many of the readers here at VGC are old enough to have been there...so it does have a special place in our hearts for being just a little different than all the other crap they release every year.

Am i the only one who doesn't find the humor to be very dark? Only remotely dark thing is that the nihilist-girl cut off her own toe. The movie makes it seem like dark shit is going down, when in reality nothing of any importance is happening except the Big Lebowski embezzling from the Foundation.

An interesting point, i feel, is that nothing important happens. That's what got me more interested in the movie when i saw it the first time (before i started watching it again and getting a better grasp of the humor). Nothing leads much of anywhere, there is no closure, and that's really so more true to life than basically any storytelling media. Most of us lead normal lives, and while there may be some folks out there with an agenda, most of us are just drifting in between.

I'll agree that it certainly isn't as dark as Fargo, Shallow Grave, or Delicatessen...but it isn't Step Brothers.  Or Austin Powers.  There's a continuum for film and for genres, and this title certainly leans in the direction of dark comedy.  Just consider that you're laughing hysterically when Donnie's ashes end up in The Dude's beard, or when the nihilist throws the ferret into the bath tub.  I think there's an expectation from the director and the writer for you to laugh at things that otherwise would be terrifying or insanely depressing.

The fact that it was a ferret made it clearly absurd. If they had brought in a doberman or something.

Could be i've spent too much time watching more violent cartoons like Venture Bros or Metalocalypse.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

impertinence said:

So, your issue is you didn't find it funny enough, and don't care about any of the other aspects of the movie other than the lack of obvious slapstick moments?

All I can say is that of you don't find Walter Sobchak's rant in the coffee shop when he is asked to not swear so loud funny you probably won't like the humor in the movie. I think that scene is hilarious, and that is not close to the funniest part of the movie. Other scenes that are also very funny are Walter flashing a piece out on the lanes, Jesus' little rant about bush league tactics in league play, Donny's funeral, The Dude doing his detective thing at Jackie Treehorn's house, the shake down of Larry the highschooler, The first meeting between the Lebowski's, The landlords dance recital, The dude buying milk, when the dude reports his car stolen, etc. etc. etc. I could keep going for quite some time. The point is, these scenes are not The Hangover funny, the humor is much more subtle and quirky, as you'd expect from the Cohen brothers.

Different strokes for different folks, but to say that the movie is shallow or not well put together is pretty far out as far as I'm concerned. My best fall back for that kind of critisism is probably the tried and true (but not very constructive) "I guess you just don't get it"

Yeah, I didn't find it funny enough. Many are downlplaying the significance of funny moments, which is weird since it's supposed to be a comedy. I guess if you intepret the movie as something other than a comedy (which some people have done here), then I could understand how one might enjoy the movie from that perspective.

Thanks for mentioning some specific scenes. Obviously I don't agree that they were all funny, but it's interesting to see what other people prefer.