By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U rides on Mario Kart

ps4tw said:

Keep starting your posts with a claim to have spotted a fallacy. The problem is you clearly don't know what your point is. 

I'm saying that Nintendo do not have a broad appeal as I'm looking at the entire gaming market, not just one title and it's sales, which is a laughably simplistic way of viewing a complex market. 

The Xbox 1 has mass appeal. The PS4 has mass appeal. The WiiU does not, because Nintendo does not have mass appeal. 

"OMG BUT X SALES".
Yes, but Nintendo only sell to existing Nintendo fans. They are a small bunch when you consider the large amount of gamers. 

Therefore no matter how "well" MK8 sells, it won't save the console and it'll just be SB for GC all over again. It's Mario, and Mario only appeals to Mario fans. On the grand schemes of things, there just aren't enough of them. The issue is you're getting tied down in pointless details rather than stepping back and seeing the big picture. How can Mario have broad appeal when the console with Mario on barely sells?

Errr that's not how things works.

PS1 and PS2 have mass appeal. Wii has mass appeal. DS has mass appeal. iPhone and iPad have mass appeal. Mario Kart Wii has mass appeal. Wii Fit U, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Call of Duty, Angry birds. All of those have mass appeal. Those devices and software reached farther than just gamers userbase. The consoles you mentioned, not.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

> Mario Kart 7: 9.48 million and counting

> Mario 3D Land: 9.43 million and counting

>"Nintendo doesn't have broad appeal"

Which part of "the same people buy all of Nintendo's titles" don't you get?

When both of those games are being sold to the same people, the total is 9 million. What is Killzone + GT + Uncharted + LBP + Infamous?

Come on son, I know you can do basic math. 

mysteryman said:
ps4tw said:

Keep starting your posts with a claim to have spotted a fallacy. The problem is you clearly don't know what your point is. 

I'm saying that Nintendo do not have a broad appeal as I'm looking at the entire gaming market, not just one title and it's sales, which is a laughably simplistic way of viewing a complex market. 

The Xbox 1 has mass appeal. The PS4 has mass appeal. The WiiU does not, because Nintendo does not have mass appeal. 

"OMG BUT X SALES".
Yes, but Nintendo only sell to existing Nintendo fans. They are a small bunch when you consider the large amount of gamers. 

Therefore no matter how "well" MK8 sells, it won't save the console and it'll just be SB for GC all over again. It's Mario, and Mario only appeals to Mario fans. On the grand schemes of things, there just aren't enough of them. The issue is you're getting tied down in pointless details rather than stepping back and seeing the big picture. How can Mario have broad appeal when the console with Mario on barely sells?

My point it simply that you cannot provide an example of a game that has sold over 9 million copies without broad appeal. There are 68 titles listed in the link below that have sold above 9 million copies, they each have broad appeal in common, but to you, it's only the non-Nintendo titles that do.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

So now zero Nintendo titles have broad appeal due to console sales? Would you then say that all Wii titles had broad appeal due to the Wii's success?  And this applies to Gamecube but not Xbox original (despite similar consoles sales) because why exactly?

So there's no number that Mario Kart could sell that would show it to have broad appeal in your eyes? Excellent, that's all I needed to hear.

But if we were to follow your next train of thought, that Mario Kart only appeals to Mario fans, then that actually would show it's broad appeal. Look at Mario game sales, they are amongst the very top-selling games and the definition of broad appeal.

Here's a question to answer your bolded question. Have you bought every game (along with it's correpsonding console) that appealed to you?

Oh mai gawd are you not reading? I'm talking about the Nintendo franchise, not just one game as that's not big enough to see the entire picture. So, now that that is clear, what say you?

ps4tw said:

When both of those games are being sold to the same people, the total is 9 million. What is Killzone + GT + Uncharted + LBP + Infamous?

Adding together four franchises now? Lol, compare that to Mario + Pokemon + Mario Kart + Smash Bros. Hell, every Mario Kart game has sold more than any Infamous or Killzone game.

ps4tw said:
mysteryman said:
ps4tw said:

"OMG BUT X SALES".

My point it simply that you cannot provide an example of a game that has sold over 9 million copies without broad appeal. There are 68 titles listed in the link below that have sold above 9 million copies, they each have broad appeal in common, but to you, it's only the non-Nintendo titles that do.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

So now zero Nintendo titles have broad appeal due to console sales? Would you then say that all Wii titles had broad appeal due to the Wii's success?  And this applies to Gamecube but not Xbox original (despite similar consoles sales) because why exactly?

So there's no number that Mario Kart could sell that would show it to have broad appeal in your eyes? Excellent, that's all I needed to hear.

But if we were to follow your next train of thought, that Mario Kart only appeals to Mario fans, then that actually would show it's broad appeal. Look at Mario game sales, they are amongst the very top-selling games and the definition of broad appeal.

Here's a question to answer your bolded question. Have you bought every game (along with it's correpsonding console) that appealed to you?

Oh mai gawd are you not reading? I'm talking about the Nintendo franchise, not just one game as that's not big enough to see the entire picture. So, now that that is clear, what say you?

I am reading (with ever-decreasing faith in humanity, I might add) but I highly suspect that you aren't.

If you wish to look at all of Nintendo's franchises, particularly Mario (2D, 3D, Kart, Paper, sports spin-offs etc.), Pokemon, Wii Sports & Wii FIt, they are the very top-selling franchises. The very definition of broad appeal. Only Gran Turismo, GTA and COD have come close.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

Adding together four franchises now? Lol, compare that to Mario + Pokemon + Mario Kart + Smash Bros. Hell, every Mario Kart game has sold more than any Infamous or Killzone game.

Dude, what is wrong with you? You have literally completely ignored the first sentence I wrote and fail to understand what I am saying. The people who buy Mario will almost certainly also buy Mario Kart, SB, Pokemon etc. Therefore that isn't 4 games for 4 different audiences. It's four games for the same audience. The same cannot be said about 1st party Sony titles. Come on son, I know you'll get it this time around. 

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Adding together four franchises now? Lol, compare that to Mario + Pokemon + Mario Kart + Smash Bros. Hell, every Mario Kart game has sold more than any Infamous or Killzone game.

That was one of the most impressive ways to prove someone wrong that I've ever seen.

Staunch denial is always interesting to read.

Mario Kart has broad appeal for a game, mostly because of the fun multiplayer. But the Wii-U's library is definitely not broad enough.

ps4tw said:
curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

Dude, what is wrong with you? You have literally completely ignored the first sentence I wrote and fail to understand what I am saying. The people who buy Mario will almost certainly also buy Mario Kart, SB, Pokemon etc. Therefore that isn't 4 games for 4 different audiences. It's four games for the same audience. The same cannot be said about 1st party Sony titles. Come on son, I know you'll get it this time around. 

Because your first sentence is laughable. The Mario Kart audience is men and women, children and adults, a broad range. For the most part, Sony's games have a much more limited appeal; primarily males aged 14-40. 

RolStoppable said:

ps4tw said:

Staunch denial is always interesting to read.

He proved you wrong. It's time for you to man up and admit it.

Both of you ignoring what I said isn't proof of anykind...

curl-6 said:
ps4tw said:

Because your first sentence is laughable. The Mario Kart audience is men and women, children and adults, a broad range. For the most part, Sony's games have a much more limited appeal; primarily males aged 14-40. 

If that is the Mario Kart audience, then why the shit sales of the GC and WiiU? Oh right, you think MK will bring a wave of millions of people to the console. Lol. Well in 6 weeks I'll be necroing this thread to see how you can explain the ~40k weekly sales of the WiiU.