By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U rides on Mario Kart

Kasz216 said:
ps4tw said:
Kasz216 said:

1) A decent amount of them sure. How'd that work out for 2D Mario?

2)  Not really no.  It's more or less a fairly standard barometer. Then please, show me where it is used by the industry as a barometer.

3)  Ok, prove that your statement to the opposite isn't guesswork.   On one hand, I have supporting data.  On the otherhand you have... no data. Past game sales from GC, Wii and WiiU suggest that MK won't revive the console because the majority of Wii owners are not back for the WiiU. 

4)  Nope.  You just have a flawed view of the Wii's userbase in general.   The Wii brought in casuals, but the casuals brought it was somewhat overstated.  What really marked last generation was an unprecedented level of crossplatform ownership.   Crossplatform ownership which generally went  Wii + HD system. .

Check out the numbers from 2009.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374131

Additionally, your target audience for videogames skews a bit to young.  We're about 10 years into the "videogames are acceptable for everyone to play" mode, so videogames skew older then the teenage market.

Considering how 2D Mario hasn't sold, that would suggest that whatever audience bought it last time have not bothered with the console at all this time. Also the research states ownership includes the household. So if mom bought it for Wii fit, then that includes Bradly who is a devout CoD follower. Nothing useful can be gathered from that data as it's two different people with two different wants.

5)  Eh, Depends on what you consider "the hurdle".  20 Million sure could  happen, in an everything goes right from here on, and the Nintendo Figures blow up like Skylanders situation I could even see 40 Million.  That's a 1 in 100 shot though.

No chance 20 million will happen. It's being dwarfed by the big 2, 3rd party has left it and shops aren't even stocking it. It's sold noticably worse than the Dreamcast even with the majority of big hitters out for it. 

6)  That's an asnine statement that could apply to pretty much any game...    Call of Duty sells about 10 Million copies.   The other 70 Million people who own a 360 didn't buy a 360 because of COD.  

The fact is, Mario Kart moves consoles, and that shows it has common appeal.  As super fans are going to get in right away, or around Chistmas if kids.

Will only have to wait till the end of the month to see that.

It's not asinine if you understand how a market works. The fact that CoD sells 10 million but the console sells 70 mill proves that there is a wide audience attached to the 360 as clearly they are not all buying the same game. However the uptake of games like SB on the GC shows that Nintendo fans tend to buy the consoles and it doesn't attract many people outside of that fold. 

If MK moves consoles wtf happened to the GC? And couldn't your basic argument be said about 2D Mario on the WiiU? We all know how that turned out...

1) You do realize this arguement more or less completely contradicts your Gamecube sales arguement. Uwotm8? How? SB sold to existing Nintendo fans only and didn't get anyone new into the fold. That's the problem MK8 will suffer from. 

2)  See how around a million is the general target for games now. See where?

3)  Again, I never said it would revive the console, however what I DID say was that average people would care about it, and buy the system for it.  Hence a spike. If the average person cared, because of the volume of them surely that would revive the console?? The average person won't give a damn about it. 

4)  That's only if you don't understand how houshold sizes work.  As for 2D Mario... again, your arguement is self defeating your previous arguement.  Try and settle on an arguement and make it rather then trying to set up a "Have you stopped beaing your wife" Quetion. Lolwut. Please clarify how household work then. No, 2D Mario proves that Nintendo fans are now a very small group and Nintendo's strategy of appealing to just the fans will be its downfall. 2D Mario proves how many Wii owners were casuals who now dont care about the WiiU. 

5)  The Dreamcast was discontinued.  So using it as a barometer for end of sales is foolish.  Omfg you what. Using a console that was ended by a corporation as a baseline for how much a console realistically needs to achieve in sales seems to be quite sensible. 

6)   Again your debating yourself.   What happened to the gamecube?  It sold much better when those games were out then when they weren't.  Which proves my point.   If Nintendo nonsensically put Mario Kart on the PS4, its sells 10 Million... easy. If you're just going to just make crap up, you may not as well bother to reply. 

Just because games have average appeal doesn't mean they can do it by themself. 

Around the Network
TheJimbo1234 said:
curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

OR as I said, I'm more familair with how the WiiU sells than you are. Spiking at release is staying the same - it is the same trend *rollseyes*

Staying the same means not changing. A release spike or a holiday boost is a change.

Your statement was wrong. You've already confirmed this by contradicting it and backpedaling from it.

Do you even know the difference between long term and short term?

But you didn't make any such distinctions in your statement, you just made an absolutist, sensationalist, and absurd claim.

curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

OR as I said, I'm more familair with how the WiiU sells than you are. Spiking at release is staying the same - it is the same trend *rollseyes*

Staying the same means not changing. A release spike or a holiday boost is a change.

Your statement was wrong. You've already confirmed this by contradicting it and backpedaling from it.

Do you even know the difference between long term and short term?

But you didn't make any such distinctions in your statement, you just made an absolutist, sensationalist, and absurd claim.

Now I ask if you know what circular logic is, because that is what you are doing - going in circles. I have always been talking about long term and am surprised I would have to state this seeing that the thread is about "saving the WIiU"....which is long term.

So why are you only talking about short term? That is actually not relevant to the question posed.

ps4tw said:
Kasz216 said:
ps4tw said:

It's pretty simple, you just don't have a coherent arguement, so there is no point even trying to argue with you.   If a game sells well on a poor selling console like Mario Kart Wii it proves that it doesn't have mass appeal.

If a game sells poorly on a poor selling console, then it ALSO doesn't have mass appeal.

In otherwords, based on your arguement, there can be no games with mass appeal on poor selling consoles period.   Including Call of Duty by the way.  Which sold well on the PS3 back when the PS3 was doing subdreamcast numbers.

TheJimbo1234 said:

Now I ask if you know what circular logic is, because that is what you are doing - going in circles. I have always been talking about long term and am surprised I would have to state this seeing that the thread is about "saving the WIiU"....which is long term.

So why are you only talking about short term? That is actually not relevant to the question posed.

If you don't want to be called out on extremist claims, then maybe don't make them.

Maybe next time say something more rational like "it will only cause a temporary spike".

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

If you don't want to be called out on extremist claims, then maybe don't make them.

Maybe next time say something more rational like "it will only cause a temporary spike".

Or maybe you need to do your homework before commenting.

TheJimbo1234 said:
curl-6 said:

Or, you know, you could post sensibly instead of making sensationalist, antagonistic claims.

curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
curl-6 said:

Or, you know, you could post sensibly instead of making sensationalist, antagonistic claims.

You've been called out by me AND someone else. Give it a rest. 

TheJimbo1234 said:

You've been called out by me AND someone else. Give it a rest. 

The only one called out was you. You made a extremist statement (Wii U sales will only stay the same and decrease) which you then couldn't defend or stick to, because apparently the only reason you're on this site is to bash Nintendo. There's a name for that kind of behaviour.

Kasz216 said:

It's pretty simple, you just don't have a coherent arguement, so there is no point even trying to argue with you.  1) If a game sells well on a poor selling console like Mario Kart Wii it proves that it doesn't have mass appeal.

2)If a game sells poorly on a poor selling console, then it ALSO doesn't have mass appeal.

3)In otherwords, based on your arguement, there can be no games with mass appeal on poor selling consoles period.   Including Call of Duty by the way.  Which sold well on the PS3 back when the PS3 was doing subdreamcast numbers.

Actually the problem is you just don't want to admit that the situation is far more complex than you are suggesting so I'll break it down for you: 

1) The console is poor selling. How could a game with mass appeal sell poorly? Clearly it doesn't have mass appeal. 
1ii) Also you have completely ignored the fact that Nintendo fans are not just dedicated, but forced into buying 1st party games due to a lack of 3rd party titles. If you've gone and bought a GC/Wii/WiiU, if you want to play games, you are almost forced to buy 1st party due to a lack of 3rd party titles. No other console does this, so this is why the uptake of 1st party titles on Nintendo consoles is so high. Imagine if CoD was the only FPS on the Xbox - if you wanted to play an FPS, you'd be forced to buy CoD.

2) Well, yes, clearly that is self-explanatory...

3) Are you really using a multiplatform game to prove your point...? Well that's a point not proven as gamers have the choice to buy the console that they prefer the most, and therefore the game for said console. Considering the price of the PS3 it explains a lot why people would have chosen the 360 as their preferred console, or just waited for a price drop. As the WiiU has almost no 3rd party games and is the cheapest of the 3 consoles, obviously these reasons do not apply to it.

In short, MK will sell well on the WiiU, but the sales will be exactly the same as we've seen for past 1st party games. Boost for a few weeks, then back down to 40k and lower. The only people interested in MK are Nintendo fans and they are a dwindling bunch as gaming has evolved, yet Nintendo hasn't.