By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Zekkyou said:
whatever said:
So even with this POS looking game the XB1 still has major issues.

The X1 certainly seems to have some development issues (more than the PS4 anyway), but on this occasion i don't think it's anything to do with the X1 itself. It seems most likely to me that the PS4 was the lead platform and they were unable to properly port it to the X1 before their deadline. The retail copy being delayed seems to back this up too.

No way in hell PS4 was the "lead platform" as we understand the term.

Both PS4 and XOne are up-ports from the lastgen assets.

Around the Network

Just so everyone knows, there's a reason why gaming sites didn't get the game until yesterday.

Dark_Feanor said:
Zekkyou said:
whatever said:
So even with this POS looking game the XB1 still has major issues.

The X1 certainly seems to have some development issues (more than the PS4 anyway), but on this occasion i don't think it's anything to do with the X1 itself. It seems most likely to me that the PS4 was the lead platform and they were unable to properly port it to the X1 before their deadline. The retail copy being delayed seems to back this up too.

No way in hell PS4 was the "lead platform" as we understand the term.

Both PS4 and XOne are up-ports from the lastgen assets.

Lead platform just means "the one it was first made on", but yes i'd forgotten about the previous gen versions. Still, the essence of what i said is the same. They likely just ran out of time on porting the X1 version, which also explains the late retail release.

You'd think they'd choose to do the X1 version first, knowing that it's the harder to work with of the two.

Zekkyou said:

Lead platform just means "the one it was first made on", but yes i'd forgotten about the previous gen versions. Still, the essence of what i said is the same. They likely just ran out of time on porting the X1 version, which also explains the late retail release.

You'd think they'd choose to do the X1 version first, knowing that it's the harder to work with of the two.

That is what Kutaragi though when ne designed the PS3.

It worked for PS2 cause it had majority marketshare.

But failed with PS3 since 360 came out earlier and had a larger marketshare.

Marketshare is more important because larger marketshare = more potential sales even if the attach rate is identical.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

SvennoJ said:
Funny that constant sreen tearing is now merely referred to as a little annoying. 1080p60 is already out the window, but at least I had hoped to see the last of screen tearing with last gen gone.
I wish all games had at least the option to turn on v-sync. I rather have drops to 20fps than 2 image halves.

Eh... I'd take the screen tearing over 20 fps.

But the real issue is this game is poorly optimized. A game that looks this bad and runs at 30 fps shouldn't have screen tearing.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
mochachino said:
If we're going to have screen tearing this gen what the point of next-gen consoles really.

Screen tearing is the worst graphical defect imaginable in a released game. It doesn't matter what the game looks like, if there's screen tearing it looks like dog feces. The only acceptable tearing is restricted to the top 5% of the screen.

You sir made my evening. I can now retire to bed with a bit of a chuckle.

So...the Xbox One version looks like assasaurus rex? Good to know.

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

pokoko said:
That's odd. All I can figure is that the XO version wasn't ready for a retail release but they were able to rush together a digital release. The developers were probably given limited time and budget to finish.

Limited hardware as well when we compare with PS4.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Sigh, this just shows how Xbox is never gonna win. They finally get the same 1080P as PS4 on a title, the same framerate too, and people just complain about all the other minor differences just as much.

And I watched vids and a twitch stream, the tearing is not nearly as bad as people act. Once again people overblowing any fault of Xbox. And "black crush" is just a gamma issue, and also another big "who cares not that big a deal" really. Except the usual warriors focusing on it.

Oh and of course, this game looks horrible. Lazy devs, remember that phrase that all PS3 titles that ran bad were blamed on instead of the hardware? Tons of games on X1 look better at 1080P and 30+ FPS. Hell tons of games on 360 look better than this game does on PS4 lol.

And for those saying "cant believe X1 struggles even on this crappy looking game" then uhh, you do realize PS4 doesn't maintain perfect 30 either on this crappy looking game. Why not?

Xbox crushed PS2 in all multiplats, 360 crushed PS3 in most, geez people, it's about time Sony finally got a turn after a decade of inferiority to Xbox. Why is it such a big deal?

fallen said:

Sigh, this just shows how Xbox is never gonna win. They finally get the same 1080P as PS4 on a title, the same framerate too, and people just complain about all the other minor differences just as much.

And I watched vids and a twitch stream, the tearing is not nearly as bad as people act. Once again people overblowing any fault of Xbox. And "black crush" is just a gamma issue, and also another big "who cares not that big a deal" really. Except the usual warriors focusing on it.

Oh and of course, this game looks horrible. Lazy devs, remember that phrase that all PS3 titles that ran bad were blamed on instead of the hardware? Tons of games on X1 look better at 1080P and 30+ FPS. Hell tons of games on 360 look better than this game does on PS4 lol.

And for those saying "cant believe X1 struggles even on this crappy looking game" then uhh, you do realize PS4 doesn't maintain perfect 30 either on this crappy looking game. Why not?

Xbox crushed PS2 in all multiplats, 360 crushed PS3 in most, geez people, it's about time Sony finally got a turn after a decade of inferiority to Xbox. Why is it such a big deal?

Are you serious? Minor differences? Did you really watch the comparo video or look at the pictures? It's night and day between the two.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.