By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get Microsoft's new Xbox tactic

So it's obvious that Microsoft doesn't just want games on the Xbox One and is already providing television features and wants to release new shows etc, but I just don't really get why they're doing this with the Xbox though. The Xbox isn't known at all for being a super diverse multimedia system and I don't think it will ever be properly seen as one. They could've just concentrated on games for the Xbox and not much else while working on a new system as a whole. I don't think their ideas are bad, it's just that I don't get why they're trying to merge this with the Xbox. If you're not interested in gaming you'll be paying too much for the hardware and if you are interested in gaming you might find this whole television thing useless and you'll buy a cheaper PS4. I just don't really get it..

Around the Network

They want to control the living room. If a husband wants to buy something to play games on and his wife wants something to watch TV and movies through Xbox is a decent option I suppose

I don't get it either. I don't want TV spinoffs of games. I want good games to share with friends at an affordable price.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Xbox is just the first step for Microsoft to try and get in our living rooms. Also with going with a game console you have a fan base from the get go and they do not have to start from scratch, if they fail they can just focus on games.

It's very simple, MS wants xbox one to be more than just a gaming console. They want the complete multimedia experience.
For your record, it's not just MS that's looking to bring tv features into their consoles, Sony is/will eventually.

The time for a console to do just games is over my friend.

Praise the One.

Around the Network
random15 said:
Xbox is just the first step for Microsoft to try and get in our living rooms. Also with going with a game console you have a fan base from the get go and they do not have to start from scratch, if they fail they can just focus on games.

I understand that they have this base to start from, but most gamers don't care about this stuff and the PS4 is just mainly a better choice.

Umm... Xbox is very much considered a media device. Between all the media related APPS (New TV apps are released almost monthly on the 360) on the X360 and being a Windows Media Extender .,.. so I am confused by your statement there.

Second.. SONY has the SAME plan.. People forgot that SONY announced a Playstation TV streaming service that will debut later this year.

They ALL want to be your MAIN living room device. Plain and simple.

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m

cpg716 said:
Umm... Xbox is very much considered a media device. Between all the media related APPS (New TV apps are released almost monthly on the 360) on the X360 and being a Windows Media Extender .,.. so I am confused by your statement there.

Second.. SONY has the SAME plan.. People forgot that SONY announced a Playstation TV streaming service that will debut later this year.

Basically this ^^

Praise the One.

cpg716 said:

The Xbox might be CONSIDERED as one now, but that doesn't mean it succeeds as one. It is KNOWN to be a gaming console, but it isn't completely considered one now. Also, of course Sony has the same plan, but it isn't their bigger focus.

Xbox One is on in my living room whenever the TV is on. The Xbox One turns on my TV and my Audio Receiver and my Cable Box. EVERYTHING watched in my living room either is generated by or passes through the Xbox One. Adding more to that cannot hurt.