By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you want a Smash clone for "mature" characters?

Tagged games:

Well?

Yes please! 9 15.52%

No thanks. 44 75.86%

Results 5 8.62%

Total:58

Wasn't Melee and Brawl already rated T and they couldn't have Snake using guns or else that would result in a M rating or something?

It would be nice to see more mature characters but I don't see too much of a sense of basing the entire game around them.

Around the Network

It wouldn't be the same at all, not saying its a bad idea or anything but wouldn't the "targeted audience" rather play Tekken or Mortal Kombat?

the_dengle said:
Little kids can continue playing Mortal Kombat and pretending that makes them adults. Smash Bros is great just the way it is. Sapping it of all of its personality won't result in an equal game for a different market, it will result in a shitty game suitable for no market.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Areym said:
I'm all for it but judging from All Stars sales, it's probably not profitable outside of Nintendo. Granted, All Stars was not perfect or better than the Smash bros franchise, but it was still a great game. A great game nobody bought.

It needed a more focused character selection. Spike, Sackboy, Toro, the medieval guy whose name eludes me atm, even folks like Sweet Tooth, Drake, and Nariko were okay. But Big Daddy, wtf?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Smash Bros was appealing to me because I wouldn't expect Nintendo characters to beat the crap out of each other. If they were mature characters they are probably already dark, violent and edgy anyways so the result isn't as... surprising, intriguing or appealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg

This wouldn't work at all mature characters.  

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Areym said:
I'm all for it but judging from All Stars sales, it's probably not profitable outside of Nintendo. Granted, All Stars was not perfect or better than the Smash bros franchise, but it was still a great game. A great game nobody bought.

It needed a more focused character selection. Spike, Sackboy, Toro, the medieval guy whose name eludes me atm, even folks like Sweet Tooth, Drake, and Nariko were okay. But Big Daddy, wtf?

Indeed, that was its greatest downfall. From those commercials with all the characters in it, you would think they got everybody imaginable but not being able to include insta-classics like Crash, Spyro, Cloud, etc was a huge letdown.

Still, I don't think the success of Smash Bros can be replicated.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

the_dengle said:
Little kids can continue playing Mortal Kombat and pretending that makes them adults. Smash Bros is great just the way it is. Sapping it of all of its personality won't result in an equal game for a different market, it will result in a shitty game suitable for no market.

Oh sheesh man, let me help you off that high horse you are currently riding to your big boy convention, right next to the "PC Master" circle jerk.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Anfebious said:
Wasn't Playstation All Stars supossed to be a "Mature" clone?

No, because it's not a clone.  It was nothing like Smash Bros but anyone who hasn't played it will look at the graphics and make the Smash Bros comparison.

Also Playstation All Stars has one difference to Smash Bros.  It's not good.  Well.  It is, aside from half the roster being so underpowered and some attacks for a lot of characters, even the op ones are just useless in every sense of the word..

BraveNewWorld said:

Super Smash Bros. is a beloved and critically acclaimed series that pits some of gamings biggest mascots against oneanother. Playstation All-Stars, while not quite reaching the heights of Smash Bros., sold fairly well and, overall, was well received. Both these games, rightfully so, feature mostly "cartoony" characters.

Let's say all parties reach an agreement and a game is released across the core four platforms: PS4, PC, Wii U, and Xbox One. Would you welcome a slightly grittier take on the concept; featuring more "mature" characters?

Let's say the game's rated T/12 for blood and minor swearing. Some examples of characters considered "mature"...

Master Chief
Cortana
Solid Snake
Big Boss
Link
Ganon
Samus Aran
Lara Croft
Captain Falcon
Kratos
Gordon Freeman

Like with Smash Bros. and PS All-Stars creative liberties would have to be taken with some of the characters. I think it's obvious that a highly recognizable and diverse group of characters could be achieved. Just by rattling off 11 characters I've come up with multiple women and a racing character; so the game wouldn't be filled with the stereotypical "buff man with an assault rifle".

Good idea?

At least from the viewpoint of the competitive smash player. Mechanics > Character.

Hence, Puff and Peach being 5 and 6 on the melee tierlists

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Have you seen Zero Suit Samus? Can't really get any more mature that.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!