By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Woman runs over teenaged cyclist, then sues his bereaved family

TheLastStarFighter said:
badgenome said:
Lusche said:

yeah think so too ...

I would like to see how those here in the thread would react if you drive in your car and someone elso causing an accident with you at no fault and then the parents of that one who caused the accident who was at 100% fault sue you for $1mio ...

edit:
still sad for the victims and families ... on both sides.

Well, that's the kicker. The Post article specifies that she hit them from behind. While it seems not to be the case in Canada, where I come from if you hit someone from behind, you are at fault, period. So I can't really sympathize with her at all.

They failed to stop. They pulled out in front of her, apparently. In Canada that makes you at fault. 

As a driver she should have expected the unexpected.

Around the Network
TheFallen said:

not if you can't see them because of no light and maybe not effective reflectors ...

otherwise i would be driving with 5mph in the evening, because there could be a bike pulling in front of me with no light :(

badgenome said:
DD_Bwest said:
dark clothes, no reflectors, no helmets, 130 am on a poorly lit street

They're saying "minimal" reflectors, not no reflectors.

the minimal refloctors they didnt include either the red back light, or the ones on the spokes.   nothing they had met any regulations.   We have rules for a reason,  the bike reflector one just happens to be for safety.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

TheBlackNaruto said:
JerCotter7 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
DD_Bwest said:

it mentions the family sueing the lady, and they had the lawyer before the lawsuit(the ladys suit) was filed, because he didnt want to have to tell the family. But it doesnt say which was filed first. If the family was sueing the lady first, she has every right to file a counter suit, especially if it was the teenagers negligence.

should probably wait until more is revealed before casting judgement

She was already speeding on a dark and wet road at night. And she has killed a child while seriously injuring two others. So instead of reachign out to the families that she has torn apart....even if she was being sued she just for funeral sosts etc(which are still expenseive) she instead wants 1.35 million dollars and is not taking ahy responisbility herself? Not casting judgement at all but no matter how you look at it....this is LOW

Where is the evidence that she was speeding? The people on the ike could be 100% at fault here. The driver could also be 100% at fault. Why are most people jumping to conclusions.

Where are you seeing she was 6mph over the limit Max?

It says it in the article that the police report shows she was going 90 in an 80 on a dark wet road at night. And it also states that she hit the kids from behind. I am not judging or jumping to a conclusion. But suing a family after you have takent he life of their child is a slap in the face in my opinion.

Completely missed that line reading it. Woops. I suppose it depends on the cercumstances for suing but in this case I don't think its right to sue but since we dont know anymore I cant say anything else.

DD_Bwest said:

the minimal refloctors they didnt include either the red back light, or the ones on the spokes.   nothing they had met any regulations.   We have rules for a reason,  the bike reflector one just happens to be for safety.

Well, the same can be said of the speed limit rule. Lots of things that don't wear reflectors can wander into the road, and if you're driving faster than you can see, I don't see how you aren't to blame if you hit one of them whether or not you are legally at fault in that particular jurisdiction.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
badgenome said:
Lusche said:

yeah think so too ...

I would like to see how those here in the thread would react if you drive in your car and someone elso causing an accident with you at no fault and then the parents of that one who caused the accident who was at 100% fault sue you for $1mio ...

edit:

Well, that's the kicker. The Post article specifies that she hit them from behind. While it seems not to be the case in Canada, where I come from if you hit someone from behind, you are at fault, period. So I can't really sympathize with her at all.

They failed to stop. They pulled out in front of her, apparently. In Canada that makes you at fault. 

Your forgetting that she was speeding (10km over). In Canada, that makes you at fault as well. 

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

badgenome said:
DD_Bwest said:

Well, the same can be said of the speed limit rule. Lots of things that don't wear reflectors can wander into the road, and if you're driving faster than you can see, I don't see how you aren't to blame if you hit one of them whether or not you are legally at fault in that particular jurisdiction.

the results of the investigation included findings that even at 80,  your driving faster than your sight, that is also why the city is included in the lawsuit.  The police did extensive work to figured out what happened.   they said the woman wasnt at fault.  Insurance would do their own and they came to the same conclusion. 

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
badgenome said:
Lusche said:

yeah think so too ...

edit:

Your forgetting that she was speeding (10km over). In Canada, that makes you at fault as well. 

not always,  the police do an investigation and accident reconstruction.   If your going 10 over and someone t-bones you, is it still your fualt?    you can also be ticketed for driving to slowly as your a danger and a hazored, and riding side by side taking up the entire lane is pretty much the same as an extremly slow moving vehicle.

DD_Bwest said:

the results of the investigation included findings that even at 80,  your driving faster than your sight, that is also why the city is included in the lawsuit.  The police did extensive work to figured out what happened.   they said the woman wasnt at fault.  Insurance would do their own and they came to the same conclusion. 

I'm still not understanding that line of argument. If going the posted speed limit causes you to outrun your headlamps, then... you go slower than the speed limit. It doesn't give you the carte blanche to go that speed no matter what. And you certainly don't go faster.

Lusche said:
TheFallen said:

not if you can't see them because of no light and maybe not effective reflectors ...

otherwise i would be driving with 5mph in the evening, because there could be a bike pulling in front of me with no light :(

She was speeding. If she wasn't she may have had a chance to react to the unexpected