By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Woman runs over teenaged cyclist, then sues his bereaved family

The cyclists had reflectors, although "minimal", on both their bikes and their clothing.
The driver admitted to speeding at the time of the collision, rather than driving even the speed limit or at a reduced night time speed.
She struck the cyclists from behind.

Now she is irreparably emotionally damaged and this requires compensation from families with dead children and high medical bills.

It's not wholly her fault and she was not criminally pursued, who expects cyclists in the middle of the lane at night at all, but there isn't a law against that as far as I know. The victim's families filed a fairly routine suit trying to get something, clearly they believed there was something fishy about her and that the whole story hadn't been told.

The driver could have just debated on this case and received legal compensation when it was decided (as it already had been) that she was not reprehensible. Instead, she filed an even larger lawsuit claiming emotional damage. Is that kind of ludicrous counter-suit standard legal procedure? I don't see how she could win it.

It's a terribly rude thing whether it is the standard or not.

Around the Network
Lusche said:
TheFallen said:

As a driver she should have expected the unexpected.

not if you can't see them because of no light and maybe not effective reflectors ...

otherwise i would be driving with 5mph in the evening, because there could be a bike pulling in front of me with no light :(

If your eye sight is that bad you shouldn't be driving at all at night. Anything could happen to end up in the road.

TheFallen said:

She was speeding. If she wasn't she may have had a chance to react to the unexpected

I thought the police made an investigation which concluded that even if she was driving at speed limit she still wouldn't have a chance to prevent the accident.

It's pretty cold if she fired the first shot.

But reflectors on bikes as the only means of providing visibility at night, when with reduced visibility due to rain/drizzle is pretty negligent on the part of the cyclists. When I bike I always wear something high-vis (day or night), and at night I always have front and back lights on.

90km/h in an 80km/h zone is speeding, but it's not significant, for those used to mp/h that's just above 6mp/h over the speed limit. In wet and reduced vis driving conditions it is a little more dangerous, but if you are very familiar with the road and your vehicle is in good condition then the driving conditions as described do not make 10k over the limit an accident waiting to happen.

I just think suing, on either family's part, is such a waste. There must be a better way for all parties to get the help and support they need without having to extract money from the other parties through a harrowing court process. Let the police decide (and yes perhaps conflict of interest here given the driver's husband is a cop) if there is legal negligence worthy of a fine or prosecution, but if not then leave the courts out of it.

We have, in effect, a collective accident insurance system called Accident Compensation Corporation which pays out for these sorts of situations so that if people need money in order to help them work through the aftermath of an accident it's there for them without having to sue someone for it. It also means people can't sue doctors, because medical/surgical "accidents" are also covered. Negligent doctors are brought to account through the medical council and via complaints laid through the health and disabilities commission. Because we have ACC insurance premiums (incl health insurance for those who have it) are very low.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Lusche said:
TheFallen said:

She was speeding. If she wasn't she may have had a chance to react to the unexpected

I thought the police made an investigation which concluded that even if she was driving at speed limit she still wouldn't have a chance to prevent the accident.

thats what 1 article mentioned,  im trying to find the actual 26 page report but it remains elusive

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

If your eye sight is that bad you shouldn't be driving at all at night. Anything could happen to end up in the road.

you can have perfect eyesight. if something pulls in front of you with no light at a badly lit road you could still hit it even at slow speed.
thats why you cant expect anything. you have to expect that the others are also keeping the law.

thats why usually if a bike pulls in front of you with no light and you hit it its usually the bikers fault. if you drive accordingly.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
How do people like this exist? Like, how has natural selection not killed them yet?

My theory is that most aren't as stupid as her to do something like this but now that she showed her true colors, natural selection will do it's job.

Now seriously, at least the families will get a lot of money because the whore just begged to get sued. it doesn't replace a life but it's good to punish pathetic people.

Don't worry, she's going get hers in due time. When she does, someone will sue her disgraceful dead body for taking up space on this Earth.

even with the police spot lights, that car with actual legit reflectors is still hard as hell to see,   now add in rain and fog

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Wow, even the Lawyer thinks this is wrong... That's how you KNOW this woman is fucked up.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon