By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Woman runs over teenaged cyclist, then sues his bereaved family

Lusche said:
SvennoJ said:

If you want to kill yourself on hitting a deer and blame the deer for it, good plan. You can't simply expect everything to follow the rules. Speed limits are limits, not minimum driving speeds. You should always reduce speed to match the circumstances.

Killing yourself on a deer is still better than living with the guilt of killing someones child. Accidents happen, but driving 90 in the rain at night is not responsible behaviour. I always slow down when passing cyclists, a simple gust of wind can blow them in your path.

of course you should reduce your speed where its needed. but even if you reduce your speed and a deer jumps in front of you you will most likely still hit it or crash trying to drive around it. 

I think i answered it to expect everything as able to stop in time. if something jumps 5-10meters in front of you you can only drive 10kph and still hit it.
doesnt mean you need to drive 5kph only.

and yes 90kph is not responsible, i wouldnt do that.

Yes, you might still crash. But you have more time to respond, more time to slow down before hitting, and go at a lower speed to begin with.

I've been hit side on by a car, when I was about 10, while crossing the road. Apparently the car that hit me overtook the car turning right at the intersection. I don't remember the actual hit, it was at about 60 kph according to the police report. I had a broken leg and a severe concussion, the bicycle was quite dead. Anyway pretty survivable at 60. Dunno about 90, apparently it's not.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Yes, you might still crash. But you have more time to respond, more time to slow down before hitting, and go at a lower speed to begin with.

I've been hit side on by a car, when I was about 10, while crossing the road. Apparently the car that hit me overtook the car turning right at the intersection. I don't remember the actual hit, it was at about 60 kph according to the police report. I had a broken leg and a severe concussion, the bicycle was quite dead. Anyway pretty survivable at 60. Dunno about 90, apparently it's not.

ouch, sad to hear. you got lucky. i saw people die in news with way slower speeds. was it inside or outside the town ?

thats why i keep the speed limits. and dont do silly stuff to get myself/other killed. but you never know ...
sad things always happen. sometimes you are at no fault, but still sad to see someone die/get injured.

That's a pretty messed up individual I would say, if she happens to die of an accident or unnatural causes anytime soon, it would be most interesting to use her brain for medical research.

On the other hand though, you're a freaking idiot to go cycling on dark, wet roads at 1:30am for a hotdog.

She's a sick individual. I hope the judge taking this case sees no case in this and dismisses it. This is not how to use the judicial system.

SvennoJ said:

Well luckily you were alright, but 90hm/hr is 50% more than 60. The European Road Safety Obeservatory did an investigation and found that if a pedestrian was hit by a car 60 km/hr then the probablity of death is 0.6, and any speed above 80 results in death for sure. So even if this lady was driving at the speed limit, then the cyclist would most probably still have died. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Faith in humanity lost... Again.

Geez.. You guys are Insane..

If the lady sees how you guys talk about her she'll sue you guys for emotional damages..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Lusche said:
SvennoJ said:

ouch, sad to hear. you got lucky. i saw people die in news with way slower speeds. was it inside or outside the town ?

thats why i keep the speed limits. and dont do silly stuff to get myself/other killed. but you never know ...
sad things always happen. sometimes you are at no fault, but still sad to see someone die/get injured.

It was inside town, speed limit was 50. I was lucky indeed, could have easily cracked my head open hitting a curb. Still it was ruled as inconclusive at the time. Since then the laws have changed, overtaking in intersections is illegal now I think, and at least in the Netherlands where i grew up, cars are automatically considered at fault when hitting more vulnerable traffic.

I guess I got the better end of the deal, not remembering much of it. Can't imagine what it's like to see a child flying of the front of your car in slow motion, playing over and over in your head.

Cycling in Canada I have noticed that people aren't used to share the road. I stay on the gravel shoulder when possible, I have had a couple of near misses with cars that pass too close, while others go so far over to the left you wonder if they'll end up in the ditch. Also had cars passing and cutting me off turning right,. I've been getting yelled at for using the road and not cycling on the foot path (which is illegal), some crazy drivers here.
Growing up in the Netherlands I was prepared for my driving exam here anyway, twice a cyclist passed in front of me through a red light. I responded before my examinator even saw them, he was like it's green, why are you hitting the brakes.

Cycling through traffic is a good way to train your situational awareness, if you survive.

MoHasanie said:
SvennoJ said:

Well luckily you were alright, but 90hm/hr is 50% more than 60. The European Road Safety Obeservatory did an investigation and found that if a pedestrian was hit by a car 60 km/hr then the probablity of death is 0.6, and any speed above 80 results in death for sure. So even if this lady was driving at the speed limit, then the cyclist would most probably still have died. 

I guess age also plays a factor, plus when you're on a bike you are higher up compared to the bumper, more likely to glance of the windshield. And you already have forward momentum when hit from behind.
Stopping distance increases exponentially with speed, every bit helps. Anyway in the rain at night, with poor visibility, she should have stayed in the 60-70 range for that kind of road.

SvennoJ said:

I guess age also plays a factor, plus when you're on a bike you are higher up compared to the bumper, more likely to glance of the windshield. And you already have forward momentum when hit from behind.
Stopping distance increases exponentially with speed, every bit helps. Anyway in the rain at night, with poor visibility, she should have stayed in the 60-70 range for that kind of road.

That's true. 

Is there a law in Canada about the speed of driving in bad weather? There really need to be one cause we get horrible weather often.  

NNID: FrequentFlyer54