By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Woman runs over teenaged cyclist, then sues his bereaved family

DD_Bwest said:
peoDonFerrari said:
DD_Bwest said:
DonFerrari said:
Can anyone confirm if she was with her headlights on?? And if she tried to slow down or deviate??? Because by the look of it it seems like she didn't even saw the boys. Because doesn't matter how close you are when seeing (and with the headlight even tough the reflection was minimal she should have saw them from at least what? 50 ft?) you will try breaking and deviating, so it would have some tyre marks indicating that. Now if you are drunk, typing, speeding and with headlights off it would be possible to just smack down without seeing.

it is also very possible that at 130 in the morning on a foggy rainy night, on-coming lights could drown out the much darker objects infront of you.  we already know a 3rd vehicle was there right away.

That is why we use fog light in this condition and drive at lesser speeds... No matter how much you do to defend the woman this stinks more on the case of poor investigation or lack of evidence to prove guilty than to say she have done everything reasonable to avoid an accident.

How can you sue the municipality for poor conditions of the road and drive above limit on even poorer conditions (low light, rain, possible fog, etc)??? To me this says she was confident enough on the street to drive that fast.

not all cars have fog lights, and if a car is coming towards you, you shouldnt be using your highbeams.   People are very sensitive to light contrast, its one of the reasons cars have day-time running lights.  and studies have shown that a normal reaction time (from seeing the object to applying corrective measures) is about 1.5 seconds. (http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/pedestrian.html).   at the speed limit, in that time she would have travelled 33 meters or 108 feet.  and thats all before she even applies the break and if she even saw them.  there are reasons we have reflector laws.

im also going to add i dont think shes going to win her case, not only is proving damages exceptionally hard and that number extremely high for cases in canada, holding the parents liable for the actions will be a major battle. i just dont think people should be so hard on her, especially since she is being sued for a million

1.5s??? Are you crazy??? With reflexes like these we wouldn´t ever complain about lag or frameratedrop... Ayrton Senna had 0,12s reflex and normal human reactions are below 0.5s. You could say that tought reaction could take 1.5s, but not one taken on desperation to save your life.

Well I'm certain a Kia Sorento have fog light. And actualy not having one in a car is a lot more imbecile than kids not using appropriate reflection since one are minors without knowledge of traffic regulation and the other is the wife of a cop... but you probably will ignore this and all the other possible mistakes the womam made just because she wasn't prosecuted... since the boys weren't prosecute for reckless bycicle driving or lack of safety signaling them you also think they aren't wrong right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DD_Bwest said:
SvennoJ said:
DD_Bwest said:

there was a thurough investigation.  their is a 26 page report on its findings somewhere but im still looking for it. the province and post mention it

A collision reconstruction team from the South Simcoe Police Service investigated the crash; their 26-page report found that the “lack of visibility” of the cyclists “was the largest contributing factor,” and that on a dark overcast night, “the driver of the Kia did not see the cyclists on the roadway and was unable to make an evasive reaction.”

Ah, I got the impression from the thread that corners were cut, like an alcohol test.

Anyway as long as "lack of visibility" as the largest contributing factor is regarded as an excuse for responsibility, we'll never get the death rate down. Car accident fatalities have been going down over time, mainly due to cracking down on drunk driving, yet it's still about 2000 a year in Canada. Maybe instead of stating to slow down at night on unlit roads, there should be dual speed limits on the signs to make it clear. 80 from 1 hour after dawn to 1 hour before dusk, 60 otherwise and in rain/icy/fog conditions. Apparently common sense is not enough.

Cracking down on cyclists that don't carry night at light should also be a priority. Ofcourse the best solution is to have separate bicycle paths, yet in the town I live in they can't even afford to provide proper side walks.

from the sound of things they did a road side test that blew zero.   and i would assume they would check her phone records to see if it was used around that time.   they also investigated the kids as their was a house party nearby but they werent there according to one article.

i think all bikes should have one of those little light generators to power a small front and rear light.  make it mandatory on all bikes sold.  the little tiny as reflector things most come with a garbage.

You make a whole awfull lot of assumptions in the lady benefit and against the kids... have you hitted someone and think he was at fault and even so you had to pay?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
DD_Bwest said:

from the sound of things they did a road side test that blew zero.   and i would assume they would check her phone records to see if it was used around that time.   they also investigated the kids as their was a house party nearby but they werent there according to one article.

i think all bikes should have one of those little light generators to power a small front and rear light.  make it mandatory on all bikes sold.  the little tiny as reflector things most come with a garbage.

You make a whole awfull lot of assumptions in the lady benefit and against the kids... have you hitted someone and think he was at fault and even so you had to pay?

assumptions?  no ive just read about 5-6 articles from the local and provincial papers about what happened.   i dont want to have to track it down but one said a field test showed zero alcohol so they didnt do the full test.  and i know from a family member being an officer that it is standard during these investigations to look at phone records.  at least it is in my province, so i would assume they do in ontario as they have similar cell phone laws.

i wasnt there so i dont know exactly how it happend, but i do know there is a 26page report that explains that the number 1 factor was the lack of visibility of the kids.  this report included a study using the exact reflectors and clothes the kids had.   I would really love to get ahold of it, but it seems its not online and you need to be family/lawyers in order to get it and isnt free.

I havent heard of any charges against the boys, but also the woman was not charged with reckless driving or speeding.  i just dont think its fair to attack her, being in the lawsuit world we are in. as she is being sued herself.  the sun article makes it sound likes its nothing, but its 900k and a hell of alot of stress involved, its now been a year and that suit is still going on.  shes wont win her suit, the closest leg she has to stand on is the law about letting a minor cycle without reflectors and helmets.

and no ive never hit anyone.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

As a person from Toronto, people like this don't surprise me. It's unbelievable the amount of self-entitled, morally defunct, yet somehow holier than thou, arrogant douche bags in and around this city.

mochachino said:
As a person from Toronto, people like this don't surprise me. It's unbelievable the amount of self-entitled, morally defunct, yet somehow holier than thou, arrogant douche bags in and around this city.

That's the case in every big city. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54