By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ethomaz's Dismantling the Myths: Amazon.com's Best Sellers is Not Accurate to the Predict Overall Hardware Sales in US (Checking: Accuracy with Software)

This is new myth I put down.

I read a lot in VGC that you can't use the Amazon's Best Sellers ranking to predict sales in US because it is a few part o the market and it won't reflect if a console is selling better in US or not.

Well turned out that Amazon's Best Seller reflect the exactly winner in consoles sales in US.

December: Xbone won in both Amazon and NPD
January: PS4 won in both Amazon and NPD
February: PS4 won in both Amazon and NPD
March: PS4 won in both Amazon and NPD

So Amazon is really accurate whe you talk about consoles sales and can be used to predict who will win or loose the NPD for example.

About games It shows inFAMOUS over Tifanfall but just one position but it separeted game editions and the TF bundle... if you sum everything Titanfall will be easly over inFAMOUS.

That being said... can we look at the weekly sales?

Week Ending April 7th: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-04-14/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

PS4 #6
Xbone #26

Week Ending April 14th: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-04-14/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

PS4 #5
Xbone #27

Week Ending April 21st: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-04-21/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

PS4 8#
Xbone #43

That's it right now PS4 is winning every week in US sales over Xbone... NPD will be a easy win this time because you know Amazon's Best Sellers racking is accurate.

MORE PROOF?

September 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-04-14/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

PS3 #13
360 #42

Who won NPD September? 

Bbbut October 2013?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2013-10/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar 

360 23#
PS3 36#

Who won NPD October?

LAUNCH + PREORDERS EXCEPTION

In easy terms NPD shows everything sold, including the preorders in previous months, in the launch month but Amazon shows the preorders in the month that the preorder was made.

So it won't be accurate in the launch month for hardware and software because you need to look the previous months to have the real ideia of how the game/console performaned in the launch month.

Eg.

MW2 (360) > SMBWii in NPD November
SMBWii > MW2 in Amazon November

Now look the places of MW2 (360) preorders in the previous months in Amazon...

August: #37 (preorder for November)
September: #20 (preorder for November)
October:  #1 (preorder for November)
November: #4 (sales in November)

Overall the Amazon shows what NPD shows when you check the previous months preorders.

Same happened with PS4 vs Xbone in November NPD... PS4 > Xbone but Amazon November had Xbone > PS4 because PS4 didn't have any unit to be sold in November anymore... all sales are preordered in previous months before November.

Around the Network

Not convinced 100% but ill watch it over the next year see if it keeps holding true.

I am sorry but using 4 months of data to make such claims is really flawed. Maybe you should wait a year before making such statements.

Machiavellian said:
I am sorry but using 4 months of data to make such claims is really flawed. Maybe you should wait a year before making such statements.

4 months of data is 100% of the both console in the market.

I just didn't put November in the OP because the launch preorders are post in the previous months in Amazon... so PS4 won every single month in 2013 but in November Xbone won when PS4 can't be more purchare at Amazon since September or August.

So after the preorder period... the sales are really reflected the ranking.

Tagged, so I can revisit when April NPD releases.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

It might show if one is selling more or less than the other.

But you can´t determine the extent of one lead based on that chart NOR estimate the total sales for a given time.

Those assumptions failed time and time again.

Xenostar said:
Not convinced 100% but ill watch it over the next year see if it keeps holding true.

I'm convinced alreaedy... I waited March with Titanfall to make sure I was not posting biased guesses... I will track the next months too.

Dark_Feanor said:
It might show if one is selling more or less than the other.

But you can´t determine the extent of one lead based on that chart NOR estimate the total sales for a given time.

Those assumptions failed time and time again.

Who said sales numbers? It reflect the position of the consoles sales in US... not the units sold.

Eg. You can have the #1 selling 100k units and the #2 selling 99k units or #1 selling 100k units and the #2 selling 1k units... both are true and reflected in the ranking but the difference bettwen the two cases are huge in units sales.

only problem Amazon faces is with different skus. when its one vs one it would be easier to see the winner

If it acurately reflected the position of every console, I might agree with you, but you have only used two consoles. What happens when you look at 360, ps3, 3ds, etc. ?