By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ethomaz's Dismantling the Myths: Amazon.com's Best Sellers is Not Accurate to the Predict Overall Hardware Sales in US (Checking: Accuracy with Software)

Kasz216 said:

Hell, looking at Janurary's 2014 numbers you posted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-01/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

A Brothers Tale for Windows is sitting at 12.

I think that says it all.

Online Game Code. 

You knon NPD didn't track digital. 

PS. I will ckeck the others two games you said before because I guess you could be doing the same mistake like here. 

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Kasz216 said:

Hell, looking at Janurary's 2014 numbers you posted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-01/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

A Brothers Tale for Windows is sitting at 12.

I think that says it all.

Online Game Code. 

You knon NPD didn't track digital. 

Which is fairly irrelevent.

A Brothers Tale is a indy PC game... released in September.

No way did it outsell most of the big physical hardware games in January, unless the PC market is WAY bigger then anyone thinks.

In which case, you'd likely see other games up there like Payday.  

Since between Septmeber and December when the game was released it made about 250,000K for the company.  Which was outproduced by Payday.  A really really old game.    

http://www.starbreeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2014-02-27-Press-release-Half-Year-Report-July-1-December-31-2013.pdf

It would had to have hit a HUGE popularity swing in January to even remotely match up.

Hardware and Software are calculated the same, and therefore a problem with one SHOULD be a problem with the other.  I've actually done this before so I know how it works.

Kasz216 said:

No way did it outsell most of the big physical hardware games in January, unless the PC market is WAY bigger then anyone thinks.

Since between Septmeber and December when the game was released it made about 250,000K for the company.  Which was outproduced by Payday.  A really really old game.    

http://www.starbreeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2014-02-27-Press-release-Half-Year-Report-July-1-December-31-2013.pdf

It would had to have hit a HUGE popularity swing in January to even remotely match up.

Hardware and Software are calculated the same, and therefore a problem with one SHOULD be a problem with the other.  I've actually done this before so I know how it works.

That is the point... the ranking didn't shows the sales number but the sales position.

#11 can be 100k
#12 can be 1k

We don't know how much units the games sold by Amazon ranking but they are pretty accurate to say if a console outsold the other in US.

For now I showed 8 months that it was accurate... nobody could show one wrong

ethomaz said:

Kasz216 said:

That is the point... the ranking didn't shows the sales number but the sales position.

#11 can be 100k
#12 can be 1k

We don't know how much units the games sold by Amazon ranking but they are pretty accurate to say if a console outsold the other in US.

For now I showed 8 months that it was accurate... nobody could show one wrong

Except Xbone is 16.

So you are saying that "Brother: Tale of two Sons" sold more then the top Xbone SKU  when it's 3 month average before that has the game selling about 12,500 copies a month?

The fact that the numbers don't show the numbers is a reason why you actually haven't shown it's accurate.

You showed for 8 months it got the placing right... not that for 8 months it got the actual sales right.

If you take the list as total sales, Xbones sales should of been FAR lower... or Brothers should have released a huge press release for it's GIGANTIC and unprecedented sales surge.

(and god knows what the Wii U's sales would look like.)

Kasz216 said:

Except Xbone is 16.

So you are saying that "Brother: Tale of two Sons" sold more then the top Xbone SKU  when it's 3 month average before that has the game selling about 12,500 copies a month?

The fact that the numbers don't show the numbers is a reason why you actually haven't shown it's accurate.

You showed for 8 months it got the placing right... not that for 8 months it got the actual sales right.

If you take the list as total sales, Xbones sales should of been FAR lower... or Brothers should have released a huge press release for it's GIGANTIC and unprecedented sales surge.

You know Xbone sold 140k in January, no? So it is not impossible that Brothers outsold it in PC digital.

You coundn't back up one example that shows that the Amazon places are different from NPD yet... you just guesses games that games didn't sold better than others or that a game didn't sold better than Xbone without any number or proof.

I used the NPD and everytime the Amazon ranking proved right with few exceptions like the November and the PS4 preorder sales and the over 20 3DS SKUs.

Even the software placement in the NPD is inline with Amazon.

Show me a example that you have numbers of positions to back up and proved Amazong wrong.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Kasz216 said:

Except Xbone is 16.

You know Xbone sold 140k in January, no? So it is not impossible that Brothers outsold it in PC digital.

140K is likely more then the game has sold total for PC.  Look at those numbers up there again.

They're actually worse then the ones i listed up there because it's 4 months instead of 3 months.  

Kasz216 said:

140K is likely more then the game has sold total for PC.

How many it sold? You can't prove.

I showed example that anybody can check because we have the official chartz/sales to compare... you want to prove my OP is wrong showing something you guess sold less.

Again... show me real (know numbers) that didn't fit with Amazon chartz.

ethomaz said:

Kasz216 said:

140K is likely more then the game has sold total for PC.

How many it sold? You can't prove.

It's basic common sense.  You think the game went from >20K a month in sales to >140K  in one month?

Kasz216 said:

It's basic common sense.  You think the game went from >20K a month in sales to >140K  in one month?

I showed real data that you want to prove wrong using "basic common sense"?

Show me data... chart... anything official that proves your "basic common sense".

ethomaz said:

Kasz216 said:

I showed real data that you want to prove wrong using "basic common sense"?

Show me data... chart... anything official that proves your "basic common sense".

I did.  I showed you their financials which showed their revenue for the game.

The charts aren't what you think they are.