By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Wii U will be discontinued by 2015

If so, even more of a reason for everyone to get one now. I mean, every time the word "Dreamcast" is mentioned, people erupt in euphoric, even if bit melancholic consolegasm.

Wii U plays Game&Wario and also Rhythm Heaven Fever with backwards compatibility. Better pick it up, only 8 or so months left according to OP. 

Around the Network

Not going to happen. Maybe four years, but not three.

prayformojo said:
Not going to happen. Maybe four years, but not three.

Yea i think so too, Wats the shortest in between new gen releases for a company? I kno GBA life was short. For Consoles i think it was Xbox to X360 (i think???)

WagnerPaiva said:
I think Nintendo will blow their loads in 2014 and make the decision after this christmas.
I mean, if X, SSB and MK8 fail as hard as Donkey Kong, they will probably release the next console on the 2015 hollyday, but that is a decision they will not take lightly.

Yeah because screw R&D!

No, and new console can't arrive before end of 2016.

Around the Network

So they're going to release their biggest games on it in 2015, like Zelda and X, AFTER they discontinue it before 2015?

There's a difference between "bold" and just plain dumb as people have said above.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I do believe it'll get a successor in late 2016 but I don't think it will be discontinued before 2017. If they discontinued it in 2015, they would also need a replacement; at this point, that would likely become a stressed and forced half-hearted effort with little thought and planning behind it (essentially another Wii U) and it would make zero sense to go that route one more time. And their new business plans and fusion project is very likely not nearly far enough along to realistically be released and marketed already next year.

Nope, I say successor in late 2016 and discontinued in mid-late 2017, that's my guess anyway.
As for MK and Smash; I think they will sell below expectation but the biggest hit to take is that they will likely fail to sell enough hardware to really change things up on the charts beyond a few weeks.
Commercial flops though? No way, even if they do "poorly" compared to the expectations of the franchises, that will still mean several million sales.
Smash could suffer a bit more though, with the decision to launch it on 3DS months before the Wii U.

9 million by the end of 2014 is not as straighforward to dismiss as many could think, personally I had higher expectations, as can be seen in my sig but thus far it has performed quite a bit worse than I thought it would. I still believe the Wii U will have a good Q4 with another price cut, Smash and a sizeable marketing campaign and the inevitable new bundles (MK + Smash bundle would be a killer combo) but it seems that the three quarters leading up to that might be tough, and people are putting way too much stock in MK either doing the job all on its own or software that will end up as niche titles making any impact in the long run (the likes of Bayonetta 2). It looks like it will miss 10 million for sure, possibly by some margin, but if it falls below 9 million, I'll be quite surprised, that will require the Wii U to remain more or less flat yoy, which seems highly unlikely to me.

Yeah because Nintendo can suddenly magic a new console out of thin air. Nintendo will be researching new hardware, but it will be a few years away. Imagine if Sony had thrown in the towel with PS3 after only a couple of years. Sorry but this is a terrible, baseless thread.

Not realistic.
First, because of what it takes to launch a new console: prepare a new hardware, announce it, lose money for the launch, prepare a sale campaign, prepare new games, have development kits, agree and dispatch them to third party. Within 2 years, it seems out of reach.
Secondly, for the impact and brand damage a 2 years console would have. And that's really 2 years, because they would have to announce their new console this year.
Last, I think they can start to earn money from launch of games they are currently developing.

No.

They developed the Wii U since 2007 and can't bring up a new console that fast.

Maybe they initially planned their next system for 2018, but they may bring it one year ealier.

Should they release a system that is even more expensive? Or overburden their internal game developers with two new hardware systems in a short periot of time? They probably don't even know how to take fully advantage of Wii U's hardware.