By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Wii U will be discontinued by 2015

tbone51 said:
prayformojo said:
Not going to happen. Maybe four years, but not three.

Yea i think so too, Wats the shortest in between new gen releases for a company? I kno GBA life was short. For Consoles i think it was Xbox to X360 (i think???)

As far as the big, mainstream consoles go, the original Xbox only saw four years on the market 2001-2005 before being replaced. I think Sega Saturn was also on the market for four years as well. There's definately a presedant.

Around the Network

N already sold 8 million Wii U.

6 million till 31 December 2013

Like usual, after 5 years from Wii U strat there will be new N console, but it is normal for them.

tbone51 said:
prayformojo said:

Yea i think so too, Wats the shortest in between new gen releases for a company? I kno GBA life was short. For Consoles i think it was Xbox to X360 (i think???)

The GBA to be fair wasn't really intended since the DS was at first designed to be third system go alongside the GBA and the gamecube. Its only after it sold well that Nintendo decided to get rid of the GBA and focus everything on the DS. 

prayformojo said:
tbone51 said:
prayformojo said:

As far as the big, mainstream consoles go, the original Xbox only saw four years on the market 2001-2005 before being replaced. I think Sega Saturn was also on the market for four years as well. There's definately a presedant.

The Saturn had four years in Japan and Europe, however only 3 years in North America.

My bold prediction: Your prediction is wrong.

Around the Network

Hahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha, no. Seriousily, no. This won't do any good.

pokoko said:
No reason for that. They'll try to extract as much profit as they can from it before replacing it. It's not like the next console will definitely be a smash hit. The only way I see them dropping the Wii U that early is if there is no risk with its successor, which is pretty much impossible.

They also have their loyal fans to think of. Killing the Wii U this early would earn them a lot of hard feelings.

However, they'd better be working hard right now to turn things around in the future. They failed to properly lay the groundwork for the Wii U--that can't happen again.

If it does happen again, where do you think things will go?..I mean, crossing fingers they´ll really learn from the Wii U mess, and be able to have a successful product next time....but, if things don´t go well again, what do you think might happen/will happen?

I can't see how MK8 and SSB could be "huge commercial flops". Even if they both sold relatively badly (which would be rather surprising), there isn't really anything about them that suggests they cost a lot.

Also don't see your 2015 prediction coming true. Nintendo aren't stupid, they know it'd be better to squeeze as much out of the WiiU as possible before killing it off. Not to mention discontinuing a console that soon after launch would hugely damage their customers faith in them.

WiiU just passed the 6M mark, ~1 year and half after being released and you say it can only sell 3 more millions until the end of this year?!!

Wait, makes sense....

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
reggin_bolas said:
If they can't breach 9 million by early 2015 what's the point in supporting the console?

The most sensible thing from a business perspective is to move product development to the next console. The Wii U is an abject failure. I just don't see them chugging out a new Zelda for a dying console. That must be their most costly development.

Well, the Vita hasn't breached 9 million units. Are you suggesting Sony create another handheld? :D