By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do we hate the Average Consumer?

Simply because they don't necessarily like the things we do. They like Call of Duty, Just Dance and/or Angry Birds and mobile games. Many forum dwelling "gamers" believe those games are shitty and because of that believe themselves to be better than the average consumer.

I hear a lot about how they buy the same games over and over again and have low standards, meanwhile we are 25+ years in and Mario is still saving the same princess from the same bad guy, all while jumping on the same turtles and walking mushrooms.

That's all good though.

Honestly, to me it just makes them come off as insecure.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Fads come and go but Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy and other 25 or 30 year old franchises are here to stay.

Euphoria14 said:
Simply because they don't necessarily like the things we do. They like Call of Duty, Just Dance and/or Angry Birds and mobile games. Many forum dwelling "gamers" believe those games are shitty and because of that believe themselves to be better than the average consumer.

I hear a lot about how they buy the same games over and over again and have low standards, meanwhile we are 25+ years in and Mario is still saving the same princess from the same bad guy, all while jumping on the same turtles and walking mushrooms.

That's all good though.

I'm pretty sure those "forum dwelling gamers" are the same ones who rag on Nintendo for making games in the same franchises year after year. You point out that a Mario game is "just jumping on Goombas to save the Princess" and then Nintendo fans will say "you're crazy if you don't think each game is immensely different. There's different mechanics in each game". I don't care...it's still Mario jumping on Goombas to save the Princess from Bowser.

So, by transitive property, we hate Nintendo. Is this a stealth Nintendo sympathy thread?

BMaker11 said:
Euphoria14 said:

That's all good though.

I'm pretty sure those "forum dwelling gamers" are the same ones who rag on Nintendo for making games in the same franchises year after year. You point out that a Mario game is "just jumping on Goombas to save the Princess" and then Nintendo fans will say "you're crazy if you don't think each game is immensely different. There's different mechanics in each game". I don't care...it's still Mario jumping on Goombas to save the Princess from Bowser.

So, by transitive property, we hate Nintendo. Is this a stealth Nintendo sympathy thread?

That's the thing, we don't hate Nintendo for giving us the same old stuff time and time again. Many people just wish they would also create some new IPs. 25+ years later Mario games are still incredibly fun to play.

I wouldn't say this is a Nintendo sympathy thread either because even Sony fans will gush over the same games time and time again, just as MS fans will gush over yet another Halo, Gears, Forza and/or Fable.

It seems to be an issue when 3rd parties do it when their titles are immensely popular or if they so happen to be mobile games. Especially in the case of the latter. GOD FORBID someone makes a mobile game.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Because the average consumer is..............average! Shocking I know!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
AZWification said:

Because the average consumer is..............average! Shocking I know!

But... then... there must be a whole other set of consumers... below the average.
Dear god what world have we opened our eyes to?!

KylieDog said:
Because the average consumer is a fucking idiot with low standards and will always be marketed to more than me.

But you don't even like anything, so there is nothing to advertise to you.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

I love them, especially the holiday noobs who make my holidays that much better when I get the privilege of destroying them.
Apart from that, im dead serious about gaming, so its nice that once in a while theres a flock of noobs who who allow me to relax a little.

OP: In most cases, having average consumers suddenly dictate the movements in markets dealing with interests that are or were niche at the core will lead to a deterioration of perceived subjective or actual objective quality, thus alienating the original niche supporters and fans in order to appease a bigger and potentially more profitable (albeit less stable and loyal) audience.
It's not rocket science why the relationship between the two groups is strained.