By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do we hate the Average Consumer?

It's this industry obsession with whatever's the most popular genre and flooding the market with it that I despise. They focus on that segment of the market like a misguided laser beam until everyone is sick of it and leave the rest for indies to pick up. The Average consumer is not to blame for that.

I also don't like that most people think gaming is nothing but online multiplayer shooter. Gaming is so much more than that.

Around the Network

We do? :P

Casual gamers have low standards for gamming.Not just on artistical quality(which is subjective) but they accept any bullshit companies like EA/capcom do and support them.Doesn't matter if the game is an Annual rehashed,rushed, underwhelming experience with lack of content for the price you pay,they buy it just because the logo or the ad.

They are the mass market,the majority,so when they support this kinds of thing developers start to do EA-ish things even more.Last gen wee saw beloved franchises turning bad because devs want to "hit the masses".

The necessity to turn beloved "core" franchises into mainstream blockbusters affects the quality of the sequels.Developers try to please everybody and end making something generic thanks to the casuals low standards.

Resident evil.Final Fantasy,Mass Effect are examples of that.It's not just Hardcore elitism,the casuals can set the trend on the industry because(they are the majority) so thats why Core gamers hate this people.

KylieDog said:
Because the average consumer is a fucking idiot with low standards and will always be marketed to more than me.

QFT

Because they're pretentious modern hippies who ignore real gaming but do play flash games that can be made in 1 day. And now the lazy gamedevelopers will get the moneyz and according to my biology teacher, getting money activates secretion of enjoyable hormones and it will stimulate them to be even more lazy.

Around the Network

I don't know why others hate the average customer. I know most say things like "ewwgh, casuals" but have failed to define the term "casual" for the past years. Just saying it is playing mini games, popular games or playing "casual" isn't a legit definition for most that are labeled as casuals. I could be a casual myself but I don't mind. I play when I feel like doing so, I'm no pro at each and every game of a genre, I play "casual" games and only touch "core" games when I think they really offer something I should experience as a gamer. But top sellers don't equal core, nor do they equal casual.

I hate the average customer because they buy games I don't spend time on. The whole industry is shifting to those games, leaving me behind. Games were a niche thing and were amazing because they were made by nerds for nerds and only having fun in mind. Most games were made by less than 10 people as a hobby, not by 5,000 people and caterers with a budget of millions of dollars. I still have my smaller companies and niche games, though, so I'm ok with that. Just like movies, books and music, the beauty is not in the charts or big names that just reflect what the masses "like". Also, the so called "indies" are not really better. Indies that are popular are just the same, only having the "indie" label which makes them so much cooler because people who like them feel like supporting something unique and individual, just like they are unique and an individual blabla. Indies that are popular may be "independent" but are also companies that try their best to adjust to the market and get some money out of it. They are just better at trying new trends and seem to be more innovative because/while the big players take it slow and only jump on board when it looks like other companies can make money with it.

edit: thanks for making my post all bold @whoever is above this

I haven't watched the video or read the thread yet. I'm at work and I'm on my phone so....

Anyway, the average consumer isn't as educated as we are and they probably get laid a lot more. That's why I hate them. Plus they overlook the hidden gems in favor of the established money grab. It's like a chef at a fine restaurant being discouraged when he sees a guy slather a Mcdonald's burger with ketchup and calls it "The best burger he ever had." Differing opinions, I guess.

Anyone remember how Facebook used to be? Used to be pretty simple. Then Tumblr got popular, so Facebook had "Notes". Then Twitter got popular, so Facebook got "Status Updates". Then hashtagging got popular, so Facebook integrated it. Everything that made other sites popular, Facebook then integrated and now it's no longer "Facebook". It's Twitagramblr. Facebook is no longer a separate thing with its own unique identity to differentiate it from social media.

"Average consumers" do this to gaming. For example, FPSs used to come out and were all separate experiences. Now, they're a dime a dozen, because the "average consumer" continues to buy millions of copies of, essentially, the same game.

I know that developers are people too and they need to put food on their families' tables. So if they can ride the wave of what's popular and make their money, then I can't hate on them. But it's getting really annoying when, for many of them, instead of putting their "vision" first, instead they say "this game did this thing and it made a bunch of money. This other game did the same thing and made a bunch of money. So we should do the same thing, and we'll make a bunch of money"

I am part of the average consumer population! I hope you don't hate on me guys...

Hate is a big word, but the problem with the average consumer is the mob mentality. Buy this cause others have it too. Standards get lost and cash in polocies get supported. Its detrimental to a richer market, though its still vital for it.