By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD December numbers

If analysts only have what they hear in the mouth of the companies to make their predictions ....I think they are being paid for nothing . Plus they are fanboys ...I also remember Fils Aimee saying their would do their best to reach 1 million in NA by 31 dec ....the analysts did choose the declarations they found interesting and the ones that hyped the market about good numbers and forgot about actually researching how many units Nintendo was shipping ...

Around the Network

We need bunkum in here. Analysts fok up total.

Well there are rumours of a possible recount, and Nintendo did alude to shipping 2m in NA by the end of the year. I know they had wrist strap issues but still...

DreamsCast said: Top 10 Video Games - December 2006 360 GEARS OF WAR - MICROSOFT 815.7 K PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR - ACTIVISION 805.2 K PS2 MADDEN NFL 07 - ELECTRONIC ARTS 737.1 K GCN LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - NINTENDO 532.9 K WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - NINTENDO 519.2 K PS2 WWE SMACKDOWN VS. RAW 2007 - THQ 484.5 K NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS - NINTENDO 427.5 K 360 CALL OF DUTY 3 - ACTIVISION 410.8 K NDS YOSHI'S ISLAND 2 - NINTENDO 407.2 K PS2 CALL OF DUTY 3 - ACTIVISION 365.3 K Top 10 Titles - December 2006 INCLUDES ALL PLATFORMS (consoles and portables) Madden NFL 07 - Electronic Arts 1.9 mm Call Of Duty 3 - Activision 1.1 mm Cars - THQ 874.0 k Need for Speed: Carbon - Electronic Arts 871.6 k 360 GEARS OF WAR - MICROSOFT 815.7 K PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR - ACTIVISION 805.2 K Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - LucasArts 792.3 K WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 - THQ 731.6 K Tony Hawk's Project 8 - Activision 713.9 K Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Activision 642.9 K
I don't get this, Twlight Princess sold 532.9K + 519.2K, how come it's not on the second chart?

There is so much wrong with this statement I don't know where to start. 1) The Japan market you said Sony and Nintendo would split 60-70 percent of the market? LMAO. M$ doesn't even make up 5% of the market there, who else is taking up the rest? 2) 360 has barely sold 8 million consoles...this may be an estimate, but according to all figures available, it's not adding up to the 10.4 million M$ is claiming. 3) You guys aren't looking at Wii worldwide sales objectively. Wii is going to be beating PS3, 360 in Japan and Europe. The US is questionable as to who will be selling the most. We'll have to wait until the end of January to see how units are selling. Since PS3 is likely to be in ready supply, the Wii may still be selling out, it's hard to tell who will sell the most. 4) You're over estimating 360s success in Europe. If you compare ratios, Europe buys half as many 360s as the Americas, but for Wii that ratio is higher. Also PS2 according to quite a few reports is actually more popular in Europe now than it was in the whole US. I waws in disbelief, but apparently they sold 40 million PS2s in Europe and I think only 37 million in US (according to NPD, if we add Canada at 10% it's probably 40 million). So Sony has a really large base there. 5) Like I have said all along, I think we are actually going to see lead changes this generation, and it will end up being very close overall.

Around the Network

You're a tard, I'm one of the most objective people on this site. I support all 3 systems, I simply call it how I see it. You're not even looking at worldwide sales. Being completely unobjective. Wii will be able to outsell both PS3 and 360 in Europe and Japan. *If* they are still having production problems it may not happen in Europe for the first month or 2. According to Nintendo they shipped more than their target goal of 4 million. Again, according to them. We agree on a lot here though. Which is why I don't see why you're calling me a fanboy. Cause I'm not. I just don't cut any system slack, Sony is my favorite in reality, but I'm not gonna purposely pump them, cause I frankly think it's gonna take a while for them to catch up. I agree that Wii will lose any advantage once HDTV becomes the standard, last year 2006 was the first year HD outsold the Tube. Still, a majority of households only have a Tube right now, it will be a few years before the majority of households have a HD. It takes several years of being the dominant seller to overcome the last gen. Just like DVD/VHS or PS2 to PS1. I also agree that this gen will end up very close. Another point I agree with you on. I scrutinize the M$ numbers so much because they have built in such a large desparity between what they have "shipped/sold" to retailers and what the info available to us from sales reports. It's such a large gap. 2 million consoles difference between the numbers. But...wait and see. Once PS3 and Wii start pulling shipped numbers out of their arse, they will also be greater than what's reported sold. All the manufacturers to this to inflate their numbers.

Stromprophet said:4) You're over estimating 360s success in Europe. If you compare ratios, Europe buys half as many 360s as the Americas, but for Wii that ratio is higher. Also PS2 according to quite a few reports is actually more popular in Europe now than it was in the whole US. I waws in disbelief, but apparently they sold 40 million PS2s in Europe and I think only 37 million in US (according to NPD, if we add Canada at 10% it's probably 40 million). So Sony has a really large base there.
I just have to ask... where do you get the info that the rest of the world (europe according to this site) buys half as many 360s as the americas?

Alvar said: where do you get the info that the rest of the world (europe according to this site) buys half as many 360s as the americas?
It's an estimation. I'm not for sure on it. I have several sources. If you look for European sales averages on google, you will find several stories indicating 360 sales on average about 100k a month there in Non-Holiday months. If the US is at 4.5 million according to NPD thru December. 100k*10 months equals 1 million right. Add in 4 holiday months. 2 were launch, in which they were short supplies. It probably comes close to 2.2 million - 2.6 million. I also use this site as a source cause I have found it to take into account a lot of information available and it always adjusts its numbers when new data comes out. During last gen, Europe sold 6 million, 6.5 million. Something like 35% of the Final US numbers, and they say they are doing better. So adding all numbmers together. Factoring everything in, I figure they are probably 40-50% of the US numbers.

Stromprophet said: It's an estimation. I'm not for sure on it. I have several sources. If you look for European sales averages on google, you will find several stories indicating 360 sales on average about 100k a month there in Non-Holiday months. If the US is at 4.5 million according to NPD thru December. 100k*10 months equals 1 million right. Add in 4 holiday months. 2 were launch, in which they were short supplies. It probably comes close to 2.2 million - 2.6 million. I also use this site as a source cause I have found it to take into account a lot of information available and it always adjusts its numbers when new data comes out. During last gen, Europe sold 6 million, 6.5 million. Something like 35% of the Final US numbers, and they say they are doing better. So adding all numbmers together. Factoring everything in, I figure they are probably 40-50% of the US numbers.
But that would pretty much just make it a guess that the 360 cannot be anywhere close to 10 million. And it does solidify the point that you cannot realy trust any of the numbers. The fact seems to be that noone knows how much it has sold in "the rest of the world". And to add to this... what numbers does this site use for "the rest of the world" for the wii? are those also complete speculation?

I don't get some people. The 360 did just great. Why? It sold more than the Wii and PS3 COMBINED in December. That's pretty dang good. Will it do that next month? I'm primarily interested in how well software for all the systems did - what is the tie ratio now for Wii and PS3? How much software did the 360 sell (easily over 3m?) As for the Worldwide sales, this December, you people are moaning about sales in Europe being mediocre. Lets look at it this way: US : 1.1m+ Units Sold ( we don't have an actually exact number, is it 1.19m or is it 1.10m?) Europe: ? (How much? Could easily be 600k or more) Japan: 100k+ Other Markets: 250k or so? Everyone keeps forgetting the other markets. The markets are: Austrailia South Korea Hong Kong Taiwan South America South Africa Yes, they might not be big markets, but for some reason no one ever considers any of those markets. Why? The PS3 isn't in Austrailia, so it's just Wii and 360....And the 360 already sold over 100k by the Summer. Could it be upto 200k or more after December? Also, MS reported (yes MS), that it expected to hit 1m units in the UK for the 360, and nearly 700k in France. Thats 1.7m units in just 2 European countries - What about the other 20? Couldn't they atleast double that number?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.